dystophil

Wielder of the Literary Lead Pipe
Registered
Reaction score
Website
alexharrow.blogspot.com
Thanks, Blue! :heart:

Haha, Maryn. ;)

On different siblings - my brother is in many ways the complete opposite of me (he is blond, for starters ;)). He never was the school type, much more practical than me who would happily become a Professional Student. :tongue

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Dys, if I could only talk about writing in here, I'd have very little to say. I seem to be in a slump, and worse, I'm cool with that. I figure this isn't just about our lives as writers but our lives including writing.

Maryn, who hopes that's right

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
If I could only talk about writing here, I'd have nothing to do but whine incessantly! Wait, I do that anyway. :tongue

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
Yeah, I am not even thinking about the WIP until January.

I can't wait to get these typeset pages off my desk. I hate my book so much right now. I think this is the last time I'll ever have to look at it. I hope. Ugh.

dystophil

Registered
Reaction score
Website
alexharrow.blogspot.com
Yeah, there seems to be something in the water with writing slumps. I'm kind of okay with it, too, though I would like to be more productive when I do have the time. Just doesn't seem to happen when there's all this other work that really needs to be out of the way first. Stupid stress. I'm busy even during Christmas break. *shakes fist*

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
I just closed the binder of my YA revisions till after Christmas. I wasn't able to focus on it and was feeling guiltier and guiltier for not editing. Once I recognized that I was too scattered and too busy to write and admitted that I'd do more harm than good if I touched it, a huge weight vanished.

I'm enjoying the last few days before Christmas and looking forward to the post-Tuesday calmness to dive back in again.

Cookies anyone? :)

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
My husband just begged off of a business trip to Japan (he hates travel and doesn't even have a passport), which makes me sad because I'd have tagged along and Japan is one of my top "Want to visit!" places.

In return for NOT going, his boss just told him he has to put together a power point presentation for the guy who's going in his place. I think he'd rather go on the trip! KARMA!

ETA: You know, making this post just got me thinking. A couple of years ago, we were living down in socal in a crappy one-room apartment and my husband went for years without a raise and every year at review time was basically just a bash-session. He was so depressed for a long while and never thought well of himself, but I knew he was smart and I knew his employers were just jerks. Then he got fired and was unemployed for a while, but eventually he landed a job up here, and since then he's gotten raise after raise plus bonuses, but more than the money people finally recognize how incredibly smart and talented he is and how hard he works. He's so much happier and it's so amazing that he has so many connections now that he really doesn't need to worry about job security. Anyway. Just thought about how thankful I am that we're here and that all of the bad turned into good. I was brooding about some dark stuff this morning, and not everything is wonderful in the world right now, but there are still good things. :)

Last edited:

dystophil

Registered
Reaction score
Website
alexharrow.blogspot.com
So, it's my work-week "Monday" today and I'm not looking forward to the next four days at work. They will be eeevil and I'm thinking I should wear clothing that doesn't show the blood spatters too obviously. :tongue

On the up side, I'm getting paid for five days and have a three-day Christmas break, so I'm thinking I should stick to my original plan and not do much of anything over Christmas - except for reading and writing. So if I mention anything work/school-related Monday through Thursday next week, someone smack on the nose with a rolled-up newspaper.

Also, I'll be getting my glasses right after Christmas! Happy times!

And man, Japan trip - I would have loved that!

mayqueen

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Between my sibling and I, I'm definitely the workaholic type-A perfect student. She's always been far more laid back and less academically-inclined. She's absolutely brilliant, maybe smarter than me, but definitely not nearly as primed on external validation. : ) Or at least not as motivated to kill herself at the academic grind. I'm the younger one, too, which seems contrary to every other sibling relationship like this one that I know.

Vespertilion

Flying blind on a rocket cycle.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh dammit.

Now I want a chai latte so bad my aligners are filling with drool.

Tasmin21

They will come from below...
Registered
Reaction score
Random thought: I've been toying with picking a new pen name, and I'd like to work my father's name into it (Charles). Hubby says "Tasmin Charles" is too "out-there". Not sure I can pull off Charlie as a first name, nor what last name I'd put with it if I did. Anyone have any thoughts?

WritingDemons

Reclusive doesn't begin to cover it
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jackykendricks.blogspot.com
I want to get through the mid-book revisions/rewrite on The Book that Refused to Die by Saturday. Then I won't have to think about revisions at all through Christmas, which would be nice.

This would be easier if I weren't to the point where huge chunks have to be cut, blended, chewed, and spat back out as something mostly new. Things are so much harder when I have to sit and actually think things through, make sure all the details are there, and everything still ends up going in the right direction.

Buuuuh. I'm going to go make haystacks, then shove my nose back to the grinding stone.

ETA: Except the things I'm thinking of apparently AREN'T haystacks. Damn Utah dessert treat things having weird names. *frumpy face*

EATA: Ah. They're apparently "No Bake Chocolate Oatmeal Cookies." Thanks, g00gle, for clearing that up for me. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Tasmin21

Registered
Reaction score
Trying to go with something more feminine. Have a feeling I'll be needing it.

K. Taylor

Bah Humbug
Registered
Reaction score
Website
carlakrae.blogspot.com
I got tweaked over not having straight As until 7th grade. Math sucked, so as long as I passed, I didn't care. Didn't need to study to get at least B+'s in everything else, so if I felt like coasting, I did. My mother was your typical Type A Overachiever, so it frustrated her I wasn't trying to be the best-of-the-best-sir-with-honors all the time, but as long as I wasn't blowing off homework, she didn't get on my case about it.

ETA: Charlotte Tasmin would work. Doubt it's already taken, and it's not difficult to spell.

Tasmin21

Registered
Reaction score
Feel free to laugh and point. It honestly never occurred to me to just use Kari in something.

(*whisper* She's special, our Tas)

Status
Not open for further replies.