Critique Circle

Jason Boyd

Registered
Reaction score
How did it go, Jason?

My story's up until Wednesday, but it's gone fantastic thus far. The critiques have been honest, constructive, and helpful.

However, I haven't posted anything in SYW yet, so I can't make a comparison (still working toward 50 posts, and trying not to be spammy about it).

The thing I do like about it is that people critiquing can't see the other comments so there's less worry about any 'bandwagon' effect and when each person points something out, it's definitely something that needs fixing.

This is definitely my favorite part. I could see where all the comments were coming from, because all were well explained, but it felt glorious when they overlapped. Now, I have things I know need to be fixed. There's always the worry that if you change something you might make it worse in a third reader's mind. This kind of eliminated that revision doubt for me. Once I earn my way into SYW, I'll probably still use Critique Circle as a final test after revisions. Like a focus group. :D

Wilde_at_heart

υπείκωphobe
Registered
Reaction score
My story's up until Wednesday, but it's gone fantastic thus far. The critiques have been honest, constructive, and helpful.

However, I haven't posted anything in SYW yet, so I can't make a comparison (still working toward 50 posts, and trying not to be spammy about it).

This is definitely my favorite part. I could see where all the comments were coming from, because all were well explained, but it felt glorious when they overlapped. Now, I have things I know need to be fixed. There's always the worry that if you change something you might make it worse in a third reader's mind. This kind of eliminated that revision doubt for me. Once I earn my way into SYW, I'll probably still use Critique Circle as a final test after revisions. Like a focus group. :D

Since you're new and probably aren't that familiar with this site, another place to 'cut your teeth' is in the various threads in SYW. You are allowed to crit anywhere right away (and I definitely recommend it), but you may also post openings within the 'Hook me in 200' threads in your chosen genre, or the 'Post first three sentences' under Novels in the main forums.

I also prefer when I can see a critter's own work - if their style diverges widely from my own I'm a lot less likely to take their suggestions into account, especially about overall things, than I am with someone who writes in a more similar vein. The last thing any writer wants is a piece to be work-shopped to death, trying to please a reader who probably wouldn't like your work anyway, or to endlessly fiddle with an opening rather than submitting more.

Last edited:

mistri

Sneezy Member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.livejournal.com
I've used CC a few times, but normally I only test the first few chapters of a book and then stop (just how I prefer to do it).

The positives: easy to earn credits and you usually get a few good crits each time too. Critters can't see what other people have said. Minimum word counts and multiple ways to crit (inline or not) mean it's useful for different critter styles. When you look at all the crits at once it's a good way to see if there's a general consensus on particular issues or if they're all picking on different things.

There are some downsides. When you put up a novel in chapter chunks (if you don't want to put up the whole lot at once or pay to do the proper novel formatty thing - am vague as I haven't used it), you will get critters who only read chapter three and then complain about why x, y, z hasn't been set up. Or they'll read chapter one and expect every single mystery to be explained upfront, whereas it's actually quite common to have to wait to work things out. Sometimes you get people who are clearly critting as quickly as possible to earn a credit and their entire word count is taken up by their intro/disclaimer. Or you'll get crits from people who tell you things like 'hyphens are only for words like X-Men or Spider-man' (true story).

BUT that sort of stuff can happen in most crit situations, so you just have to roll with it and appreciate the good/useful comments that you get.

Last time I did it I think my skin wasn't quite thick enough. I thanked everyone who critted but I did often cringe whenever I got a response. Trying to get over that! :)

Connie Chastain

Registered
Reaction score
I'm a member at CC and I participate when I have something that needs crits. I like it. It has some pretty savvy critters. The problem for me is doing enough critiques to get my own story critted in a timely manner. When you're submitting a novel chapter by chapter, it can drag out.

Sweetwheat

Registered
Reaction score
I used to be very active about three years ago. I learned so much through receiving feedback and doing crits. I definitely recommend it. Some people like submitting a chapter a week. Whatever works with your schedule. At least try it out. You ain't gotta stay if it ain't your thing.

LucindaLynx

Registered
Reaction score
I am there too. CC helps me to see, where I go wrong. It seems the grammar is and will always be the problem. And articles, like a, an, the and so on. You English speakers know, what I mean. I've noticed too, that description....Either I try too hard or then I overestimate my readers' ability to see the place where the character is.

cathyfreeze

I lost my fever! I need it back!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A couple folks have asked about full-novel crittage on cc--it can be a free site and you post ch by ch on the public queues for free (have to pay but in crit points.) If you pay, tho, you can start your own queue and post your wip in multiple chs. Best way to get a whole-novel crit, imho. Doesn't mean someone *will* read the whole thing, tho. I've joined half a dozen of those queues in my stay at cc--they've all lost me. Some, i admit, because they were just too disjointed and the chs didn't seem to improve as i read--others because the writer seemed to want to re-start from the beginning and i got tired of reading the first 5 chs over and over.

I don't finish books i buy, either, if they're just not worth finishing, imho.

Last edited:

Iamfenian

Registered
Reaction score
Jason, I critiqued a story from CC last evening...in my eyes, it was awesome! (wondering if it was yours) Another great group for crits is www.scribophile.com Same format, you crit for karma points and then put your stuff up for crit. My drawback is I am a novice at writing AND crits but I read a lot of veteran writer's crits to hone my skills. Some of them dissect the story, they see many things I have missed.

Nancyleeny

Registered
Reaction score
Morning,
I joined there last week and put the first chapter of my mystery "Reach" up. It's up for critique now if you want to help me anyone! I received two critiques so,far and they were very good, very helpful. Additionally, I did 4 critiques and I'm really amazed at the high quality of,the writing! I expected the kind of stuff I get from my beginning creative writing students: plodding or really heavy on the telling. Which I do myself! :)

I'll definitely use it again,
Nancy

endearing

in love with Jesus
Registered
Reaction score
I'm a member there, but I admit I haven't used it much yet. I do lurk sometimes, but I'm still very much learning how to offer the most helpful critiques in-process (the same way I'm working on reviews for finished books and eARCS at Goodreads).

Mikilao

Registered
Reaction score
honestly just joined CC 1 hour ago. Gave a crit and posted my own work. I'm sick of other sites that don't give any feedback or flakey ppl. it looks like someone HAS to have something to say about your book on CC.

gp101

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I was an active member there under a different name years ago. Really liked it. Glad to see it's still running strong. May have to drop in again soon... if I can remember my original sig and password.

Jenkki

Registered
Reaction score
I tried Critique Circle a while back but went with Critters.org instead. It has a cumbersome and somewhat archaic interface but it seems to have a higher proportion of published writers.

Jo Zebedee

space opera-popcorn lover!
Registered
Reaction score
Off the shoulder of Orion, not far from Belfast.
Website
Www.jozebedee.com
Critters is very interesting in terms of its interface and some critters can be a little dismissive of newby mistakes, but overall I found it useful. Ditto CC. Haven't been there for a while, but I found it easy to build up credits and a friendly forum.

For anyone doing sff I find the critiques board on sffchronicles.com very good, especially for beginners. I do almost all my critting there now, and they have a private writing group for higher post counts which is handy.

Mr.Write

Registered
Reaction score
I'm mr. write and am new to this whole site.

I am Mr.Write and I am trying to find the exact thread and posting as to where I can drop off my novella called "World of Appritions". I figured that i'm in the critique circle, and this might be the place. I just thought to myself for a moment and was wondering where I can show people my story to be critiqued. i just realized that i don't think this is the place.

Mr.Write

Registered
Reaction score
Mr.Write has a question

I wrote a Horror novella called World of Apparitions which contained 26.041 words, after I edited it. I wrote some query letters and sent the query letters into some agents in the 2014 writers Market guide. I like to write Fiction/Horror, and fiction/Action and I try hard to make the stories seem real. I have the novella published on createspace.com and I read a comment from a write claiming that my writing wasn't that good and the writer claimed that I wrote in third person and i also used a few words from first person P.O.V. other than those problems, the writer said that she was intrigued by my story.
I have heard that Fiction is hard to sell, but I don't understand why. i write my Fiction and I include things that don't happen but I give a sort of realistic background as to why the events in my story to happen, as if the events were real. I'll be honest, if anyone has seen Michael Bay's transformers, or the movie called The Island by Michael Bay...well, I try to write books based on fake events, but make it seem real. I am currently writing a fiction Action/Thriller called "HOLOGRAM". I wish i could show some of my work from my novella "World of Apparitions", on this site but, not as an attachment. I have actually thought of not writing anymore fiction, and go non-fiction but then again, their has to be more author's out their who publish Fiction books. I write my books using fake information and making it seem realistic, that is Fiction AND I'm wondering how stephen King got published. Stephen King wrote that one book called 'Under the Dome' or something like that. If anyone has any pointers towards my complaints, feel free to reply. My ears are open to any information that is helpful.

CatchVonnegut

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up. I didn't know of CC before. Me thinks me will be joining.

Quentin Nokov

King of the Kitties
Registered
Reaction score
Mr. Write, if you want your work critiqued you need to go to the Share Your Work board on this forum. You need 50 posts before you can post your work. This site is one giant "critique circle". I know the forum is large, but look around and read carefully the description of each board and you'll find the place you want to be.

Fictionalizer

Registered
Reaction score
I've been on CC since 2009.

The only downfall is writing anything which contains adult themes including horrific abuse (Memoir - mine). These must go in private queues, and therefore one needs to purchase a membership.

Scribophile.com allows all types of stories and doesn't have private queues.

Both require warning of adult themes.