What is a standard editing fee...

MissyLaRae

Total Newbie
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
For a 39,000 word MS?

I am not talking about detailed editing like helping with plot formation or moving the story along.

Just general editing and wording suggestions.

I have a quote from a potential editor and want to see what others would consider normal.

susanfishy

Writer. Editor, Writing Coach
Registered
Reaction score
I charge $250 for that service to my clients.

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It really depends on the editor, and on what you want, and on what the manuscript needs. Spotting a few typos is something any beta reader can do; bringing a manuscript by an ESL author up to CMoS spec is a whole lot of line-editing work. Experienced authors with well-written, polished manuscripts may need someone who can identify deep structural issues, while novice authors whose prose reflects their ignorance of craft basics are more likely to benefit from coaching, mentoring, and 'homework'.

For an editor who has impeccable credentials and industry experience, I'd expect to pay about US$2000 for a 100K word ms.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
For a 39,000 word MS?

I am not talking about detailed editing like helping with plot formation or moving the story along.

Just general editing and wording suggestions.

I have a quote from a potential editor and want to see what others would consider normal.

I understand "editing" to mean sorting out plot holes, developing characterisation, and dealing with all the big problems.

Copy editing then sorts out grammar, punctuation, continuity, and other smaller issues.

Is it a copy editor you're after?

Also, I do hope you're aware that if you're hoping to find a trade publisher to publish this for you, you really don't have to pay to have your book edited: your publisher will edit the book for you, at no cost to you.

If you're self publishing then you are your publisher, so you have to cover the cost of the editing.

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
There is no normal. :)

Look up the Florida Writer's Association (and join it), there are a number of editors who belong and you'll find a range of rates for different tasks. There are several in the NE Florida area near you as well.

Jeff

Stanton

Registered
Reaction score
I understand "editing" to mean sorting out plot holes, developing characterisation, and dealing with all the big problems.

Copy editing then sorts out grammar, punctuation, continuity, and other smaller issues.

Is it a copy editor you're after?

Also, I do hope you're aware that if you're hoping to find a trade publisher to publish this for you, you really don't have to pay to have your book edited: your publisher will edit the book for you, at no cost to you.

If you're self publishing then you are your publisher, so you have to cover the cost of the editing.

I plan to go the conventional publisher route via literary agent. Is it likely that the literary agent will do some serious editing prior to submission? Or better to hire an editor prior to sending MS to the literary agent?

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Some agents edit their author-clients' works prior to submitting them to publishers. Not all, but some.

Good publishers then edit the books again.

There's no need to hire an editor before you send your work off to an agent: but you should revise it as thoroughly as you can before it goes anywhere.

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I plan to go the conventional publisher route via literary agent. Is it likely that the literary agent will do some serious editing prior to submission? Or better to hire an editor prior to sending MS to the literary agent?

There's no need to hire an editor before you send your work off to an agent: but you should revise it as thoroughly as you can before it goes anywhere.

Exactly what she said. Good publishers assign an editor to work with you as part of your deal.

Debbie V

Mentoring Myself and Others
Registered
Reaction score
Egregious continuity issues and grammar or spelling mistakes can keep you from getting a publishing deal for a manuscript that is otherwise on the line. Do have someone critique your work. Do post in SYW. Do ask folks to beta read the entire thing. Once you've done all of that and are satisfied that you have the story you intend to tell and are telling it in the best way possible, you won't feel a need to hire someone.

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Is it likely that the literary agent will do some serious editing prior to submission?
Not when they can get a better prepared work from another author. :)

You don't need an editor before submitting to an agent. Or to anywhere for that matter. But your work does have to be in top shape. Which, for some writers, means a paid editor.

For what it's worth, few agents are editors. Agents will make suggestions for the author to work on all the time. They do this with an outlook as to making an easier or better sale. If you are not the best writer but your story is good, and has a market, they will suggest an editor for you to work with to polish the manuscript to it's best.

Most agents won't just submit manuscripts as received unless they know the perfect market for it. They want to submit the manuscript that has the best chance of a sale. Which often means working with an author to get the work in shape. Not editing, more polishing and presentation.

Jeff

lauralam

Moonshade
Registered
Reaction score
I never paid for editing for my book before going to agents but I did have a lot of betas and gave it a rigorous self-edit. But if it makes you feel more confident and you think it's worth it, then it's up to you!