Agent Trackers - Dos and Don'ts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Casey Karp

Registered
Reaction score
Website
koiscribblings.com
Interesting. You treat the agents you're querying as markets? Or is there an agent section that's not visible in the screenshots?

summontherats

Generally More of a Lurker
Registered
Reaction score
Website
fairieszombiesandqueries.wordpress.com
I do QueryTracker AND an Excel spreadsheet. I admit I focus more on QT these days, but it's nice to be able to do my own stuff in Excel.

Name - I hope this is obvious.
Agency - This too.
E-mail - And this.
Genre - Specifically, which genre I submitted the book as. Relevant because I may slant the pitch at a couple of different genres depending on the agent's preferences.
Sub Info - Link to the web page with the submission information
Sub Date - When I sent the query
Title - Which book I queryed for
Exp Resp Time - Expected response time (could be NR=N)
Exp Resp Date - Sub Date + Exp Resp Time (or when to give up if NR=N)
Partial Date - Blank unless/until agent requests a partial
Full Date - Ditto for a full ms request
Resp - Final response. Hopefully they won't all be Reject. For the sake of this experiment, though, it would be nice to get a few rejections to test the flexibility of the format.
Resp Date - Closing the Expected/Actual loop
Notes - Additional information required, specific personalizations, reasons why I queried, etc., etc., ad nauseum
Personally, I wouldn't list the agent's email address. They don't often change, but they can. (Also, sometimes agencies change policies--I've seen one go from emails to an online form, for example.) It'd be safest to get email addresses from the agency website on the day you query. Querying is slooooow. Things can change!

Also, one thing I don't see on your list: I have a field for "Materials Needed" where I list what I need to query that agent: Query, Synopsis, # of Pages/Chapters.

Casey Karp

Registered
Reaction score
Website
koiscribblings.com
Personally, I wouldn't list the agent's email address. They don't often change, but they can. (Also, sometimes agencies change policies--I've seen one go from emails to an online form, for example.) It'd be safest to get email addresses from the agency website on the day you query. Querying is slooooow. Things can change!

Also, one thing I don't see on your list: I have a field for "Materials Needed" where I list what I need to query that agent: Query, Synopsis, # of Pages/Chapters.

LOL! I deliberately didn't include a Materials Needed, because I suspected that changes more often than e-mail addresses.

I practice, I am checking the agency and individual agent's address and requirements right before sending, and then documenting what I sent in the notes. 'Cause once I send it, the information's not going to change. So far that hasn't caused any problems or confusion.

summontherats

Generally More of a Lurker
Registered
Reaction score
Website
fairieszombiesandqueries.wordpress.com
LOL! I deliberately didn't include a Materials Needed, because I suspected that changes more often than e-mail addresses.

I practice, I am checking the agency and individual agent's address and requirements right before sending, and then documenting what I sent in the notes. 'Cause once I send it, the information's not going to change. So far that hasn't caused any problems or confusion.

That makes perfect sense!

I admit, I added that field so I could remember who asked for a synopsis. I waited way longer than I should have to write one!

Casey Karp

Registered
Reaction score
Website
koiscribblings.com
:ROFL:

At least I'm ahead of the game there. Two different versions of the synopsis written before I sent out the first query.

Status
Not open for further replies.