Attending literary events

Status
Not open for further replies.

andiwrite

Registered
Reaction score
I'm interested in doing some of these things, but I have no idea what actually goes on at them. My publisher encourages writers to go to conferences and promote their books, but how/where does this promotion actually take place?

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've never been to one of the big conventions, andiwrite, but from what I understand, the promotion happens throughout, in various ways. I hope CathyC and amergina will stop by and share a bit about that as they are experienced convention attenders, and can give you some details. I know authors have tables where they sign their books for fans, and give away promotional swag such as bookmarks and that kind of thing, which helps get the book's name and their name more widely spread among readers. But that's about the extent of my knowledge!

*waits for more experienced voices to speak up here*

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
Well I'm a conference/convention attendee (attender?).

It really depends on what kind it is. The kind I like best are quite writing centric but tend to be more convention-y, less writing retreat-y (this is the one I tend to do every year here in Toronto: http://www.ad-astra.org/). They are also usually SF/Fantasy in theme and have more going on then just writing. Usually there are different panels on various subjects people can attend. I'm often on various YA panels, sometimes on Steampunk themed panels. I also tend to do a lot of very pragmatic, "So You Want To Get An Agent, here are some steps" panels. Often authors/editors/agents are invited to attend, but I've also emailed the con organisers with my bio and what I think I can bring to a panel and they usually find something for me.

Some conferences/conventions also have more practical workshops. Actual writing classes, or pitch sessions where you pitch an agent/editor. There are usually also readings from authors and signings. And there's a Dealer's Room where you can buy books (and other stuff).

You promote your books by being present. By doing a reading. By doing a signing. By being on panels and the audience maybe came to see the panel because of someone else but then they like what you have to say and decide to buy your books :) . If you really want to you can get a table in the Dealer's Room and really work the room to sell your books. But I find it better to just attend and get to know people, and have a bookstore in the Dealer's Room sell my books for me.

And all this usually takes place over a weekend in a hotel. There's a bar where people hang out, sometimes there are little concerts, sometimes there's even a dance, or a formal dinner (many conventions host award ceremonies).

There are also writing retreats which are quite different. Usually this is a smaller group and much more focused on actually writing over the weekend. You share your work, people offer critiques, you have classes from established authors etc. These are smaller and more intimate. Good for networking because you really get to know people, but they aren't conventions. They are real writing intensive experiences.

I can go into more detail if folks would like, but maybe specific questions would be good :) .

Last edited:

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
Tpaste. That would have been a good idea now that you mention it !

Socializing is neat like you say. Next time your in the village give me a holla and I will treat you to a strongly brewed coffee. You'll need the caffeine to keep awake as I bore you with convo, interspersed with long periods of silence when my confidence wans.

Seriously, though, you're OK. Intimidating intelligent and blush blush whatnot, but A-OK.

ps what's a jchines ?

Well I'm flattered thanks :) . Though can I have tea instead? :)

The thing is Ken, remember this next time because you did hurt my feelings with your initial post. Try to focus on making your actual point, and ask yourself could someone be offended by these words.

Also maybe just maybe if you read all the posts you would have known that jchines is a poster here as well as a well published author and quite well known in the blogosphere. And a cool dude I met in person and even interviewed for a nerd website I used to work for at the convention I linked to in my post above many moons ago :) .

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
Thnx Kyla and Tpaste for filling me in on jchines.
Tea. Deal. A whole pitcher if you like ! :)

Really sorry. Didn't mean to, with my initial :-(
Posting is hard and challenging for me.
To some extent that's probably my own doing.
Something to improve upon. Will work on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.