The W1S1 Check-in and Chill Lounge and Bar

llambertlawson

New fish bio-engineering thick skin
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.llambertlawson.com
Good luck! :D

I need to get back on the weekly schedule myself. I've slipped into the two-story-a-month plan, and the stories are getting shorter and shorter.

Heh. Mine, today, was a short one as well. about 800 words.

Thanks! I actually spent a few hours revising a flash piece (almost wholly rewriting it) and sent it off to DSF today. I hold no illusions, but I'm happy to get it out the door. Gotta start with my favorite market and move down the list.

Guess I'm at my W1S1 goal for the week already. :D

mhaynes

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaelhaynes.info
So, I'm not 100% sure where the most appropriate place is to post this. I hope that here is OK.

Next Monday I'll be releasing an eBook titled "Write Every Day: Hints & Tips Towards a Daily Writing Routine." Here's a blog post about the eBook.

Any W1/S1ers who would like a pre-release PDF for review purposes or otherwise are welcome to contact me to request one.

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
Hey everyone!

The next two weeks are going to be absolute, utter chaos over here in Suzanneland as I'm in the middle of Moving With Small Children. So, I won't be sticking my head in here much until the move is done and we're settled again and I've figured out how to get back on the internetz from the new place.

In the meantime, I'm looking forward to seeing a lot of traffic on the braggage thread by the time I get back. I send all my best luck on all your submissions, and hugs for the (hopefully few and nicely worded) rejections. You're all awesome and the amount of work, enthusiasm, and sheer cussed determination in this group is absolutely something each and everyone one of you should be proud of. If something comes up that anyone feels I need to be aware of in a modly capacity, PM me.

Thanks! :)

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
I started W1S1 in February and have just reached week 21. So I am halfway through the year commitment. Nothing published yet, but I am happy I have been able to write a new story every week for six months.

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
For the first time since I began the anthology project, I was productive in my own writing today. Polished and sent out a previously written 3400 word story and wrote 1200 words of a new, incredibly silly humor piece. Hopefully the readers will find it funny. You never know, with humor.

mhaynes

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaelhaynes.info
I started W1S1 in February and have just reached week 21. So I am halfway through the year commitment. Nothing published yet, but I am happy I have been able to write a new story every week for six months.

Congrats on being happy with your writing progress. That's the only aspect of all of this you can really control.

Eliza C

We’ll see what happens from here…
Registered
Reaction score
So, I'm not 100% sure where the most appropriate place is to post this. I hope that here is OK.

Next Monday I'll be releasing an eBook titled "Write Every Day: Hints & Tips Towards a Daily Writing Routine."

That's wonderful, Michael! I checked out the blog site too. Congrats and best of luck with the book.

mhaynes

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaelhaynes.info
I know one of the other W1/S1ers has had good success with Fiction 365. I'd submitted two things there earlier this year and gotten timely personal rejections.

I sent them something in late April and have had no response. I've queried twice from the email address I originally sent the piece from and once from an alternate email address in case there was a spam-filter issue on one end or the other. No replies. Meanwhile there's all sorts of activity for the publication on Duotrope.

I guess I should just withdraw the piece at this point but it's sort of maddening to know that they're alive over there but that for some reason they just aren't responding to me.

*grumble grumble*

V1c

Hmmmmm
Registered
Reaction score
Two weeks- two stories - two subs. Feels good. Of course, I know I have to start shopping the book I wrote, too. If I can get two stories a month, two subs out and then let the other two be agent/novel subs I'd be happy.

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
I'm debating if I should sit on a certain story till some higher tier markets open up, or go ahead and send it to the lower tier markets. I think the story can sell well, but... I think that about a lot of my pieces, haha.

Datepalm

Registered
Reaction score
Just about finished my June story, only a bit late...oh well. I think i'll let it sit for a few days and then go back and polish it before sending it out though. (I did hit a really - amazingly prolific, for me - writing streak on a novel project, so i'm pretty pleased with June overall.)

I've also got the first few scenes of what will hopefully be the July story down, with a few different ideas coming together into something that should work for Penumbra's "Exploration" theme (but not so specific it wouldn't work for something else) - deadline should keep me on my toes!

Meanwhile, my first story has been stuck with Apex for 30 days, and my nails are gone and i've developed an unhealthy dependance on Duotrope. Oh well. Just send me that rejection already and let me breathe normally when I open my mail!

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
I have a few submissions that have past the 100-day mark. I am really hoping they don't all come in at once. Actually, I am really really hoping to finally sell a story.

kd1984

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.oneperfectword.blogspot.com
I'M BAAAAACKKKKK!!!!

Shaking off the cobwebs over here. For those of you over on the ST flash fiction contest forum, you saw an announcement from me during the last contest that was life altering. Unfortunately, it wasn't meant to be, and I've been taking some time to heal since this isn't the first time I've lost a pregnancy. Writing has been the last thing on my mind.

But over the last few weeks, the rejections have come pouring in, and it reminded me that I needed to get back on the horse. So here I am feeling refreshed, stronger, and ready to jump back in.

So, congrats to all of the braggage, hugs to all of the Rs, and for those of you who once upon a time sent me stories to crit, bring it on because I'm hungry for it.

Last edited:

Sai

Book lover/Spy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kuri-ousity.com
Welcome back kd! Are you taking part in this month's ST flash challenge? I look forward to reading your story :).

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
kd: *hug* Very sorry to hear the bad news. Glad you are feeling better now, and getting back into writing. Hope to be seeing some Braggage from you in the appropriate thread soon!

Nathaniel Katz

The Evil Hat
Registered
Reaction score
Hello, everyone! I'm popping in now and will likely be sticking about for a few weeks at the least. At the moment, I'm about a third of the way through summer vacation, the first part of which passed in a lethargic sludge. The past week or two, however, have been insanely productive. I've been reading hundreds of pages a day, reviewing at an unprecedented pace for my blog, finished one story, and am working on one for Alex's anthology (which was a rather nice surprise to see on Duotrope!). It's great to see all the work and successes that've been going on around here lately.

nonasuch

Registered
Reaction score
Well, I hit my 1k for the day by noon, which is pretty good for me. I never used to be a coffee drinker, but since I started my writing output has been astonishingly high compared to my previous track record. Caffeine is my new favorite molecule!

kd1984

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.oneperfectword.blogspot.com
Thanks, everyone. And yes, Sai, I'll be over at ST playing in the big kids sandbox this month. I pushed myself to sign up yesterday and then promptly had a panic attack over writing this story in two days. My idea hit me about an hour ago, and I've been running with it. Taking a break now, but I'm excited about this one.

Esopha

bam pow zap.
Registered
Reaction score
I had a quick question, if anyone doesn't mind answering. I sold a short story to DSF last month, and sent back the contract email, etc. But then this morning (almost a full month later, yipes!) I got an email saying that they never received it. So I forwarded the original email, as well as sending a C&Ped version to them from their second email. But now I'm all paranoid.

This was about 9:30 this morning. Should I email again and ask them to respond if they've received the emails? Should I find an alternate method of contact - maybe send them a DM over twitter or something? I don't want this to take another month, or for them to worry that I've died.

BLAH. I hate it when technology foils me.

sarahthegrey

Registered
Reaction score
I had a quick question, if anyone doesn't mind answering.

I would suggest waiting three days or so, then emailing them for confirmation (Tuesday, perhaps). I think, under the circumstances, it's good to confirm that they received it, but give them time to process it. Also, I would avoid dealing with any contract issues over Twitter or any other social media, as a general rule. Email leaves a better paper trail.

I hope that helps, and I hope there's a happy ending to this!