mhaynes

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaelhaynes.info
Congrats, ODandelo!

As for me, I'd lost my way right at the start of the new school year. It's a busy time for high school English teachers, to say the least. But I started my new weekly story last night, and OH, HOW I'VE MISSED YOU FOLKS!

Welcome back! Glad to hear that the school year is settling down.

fihr

Registered
Reaction score
Hi kd, its nice for me to hear that you lost your way but found your way back.

I've not been writing so much lately, because of school holidays, and in the three months before Christmas, I've always got accounts weighing on my mind, plus end of year obligations. Until I get those jobs done, I find it hard to give myself fully to either my writing or the jobs, and there are constant interruptions (more than normal). I'm going to have to get the accounts out of the way just so I can concentrate fully on writing again. I'm still working on editing stories, but it's kind of driving me nuts not to be writing fresh new drafts. In compensation, I'm squeezing as much reading in as I can, in shorter bursts, and sporadic free writing rushes, but not stories. But everything passes...

Eliza C

We’ll see what happens from here…
Registered
Reaction score
So here's my question -- Tomorrow it will be three weeks since I received a contract for a story accepted by a pro magazine. I signed it, scanned the signature page as instructed and e-mailed it back the following day. So far, I haven't received their signed copy of the contract or had any contact from the person assigned as my fiction editor.
Should I be worried yet? For the sales where I've had to send an actual signature before, I've received a response very quickly with their signature to complete the contract.
I don't want to bug the editor-in-chief, but I also am not sure how long I should wait before making sure that they got my e-mail.
Any thoughts?

kd1984

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.oneperfectword.blogspot.com
So here's my question -- Tomorrow it will be three weeks since I received a contract for a story accepted by a pro magazine. I signed it, scanned the signature page as instructed and e-mailed it back the following day. So far, I haven't received their signed copy of the contract or had any contact from the person assigned as my fiction editor.
Should I be worried yet? For the sales where I've had to send an actual signature before, I've received a response very quickly with their signature to complete the contract.
I don't want to bug the editor-in-chief, but I also am not sure how long I should wait before making sure that they got my e-mail.
Any thoughts?

I think that three weeks is enough time to send a gentle follow up email. It's not as if you are attacking or accusing your editor of anything. You are just verifying that your email was indeed received. It's all too possible that it may have found its way to a spam box or been overlooked. No harm in checking. Especially since some time has passed since you sent it. On the other hand, it might be prudent to consider typical response times for this mag. Do they typically take a while to get back in touch? If so, it may be worth giving it one more week. Of course, you will know the climate better than I will, but if it was me, and the magazine had a fairly quick turnover, I'd send a query. Good luck and congrats!

fihr

Registered
Reaction score
I agree with kd. They want to publish your story, and it seems only sensible to politely check that it arrived after a few weeks of hearing nothing.

fihr

Registered
Reaction score
I didn't know where to ask this question, so I decided to check in at the bar.

I received a crit on a story I wrote, quite a positive crit actually, but I couldn't understand what they meant by the expression: "It's definitely a Thing." They were referring to my character's thought pattern at the time.

I did ask what they meant, but haven't got a response. So, I wondered if anyone here could explain what this means: "It's a thing." I couldn't tell if it was positive or negative, or neither.

I've tried googling it, but get nothing, except examples of its use. eg: "Pumpkin Pimping: It's a thing."

I don't know anyone who says this in my part of the world, which could just mean that I'm out of touch and need to get out more, and I hoped some of you more in-touch folk could enlighten me. :D

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
Did "It's a Thing" come with any context? 'Cause it's kind of a meaningless phrase, much like "It is what it is." You're supposed to accept or take it for granted X, because that's just how it is. A Thing would be someone or something's shtick. That's their thing, that's what they do. Don't question it. :tongue

That was probably a lousy explanation, but it's the closest I can come to. Like I said, it has near zero in meaning.

fihr

Registered
Reaction score
Actually, that explanation was pretty helpful. Thanks!

I think in context maybe it meant "a recognisable schtick", and it made them wince a bit in recognition. I didn't want to put the actual quote up here because I didn't want to make their feedback public without their permission. Maybe my pedantry about respecting privacy, even though it would do no harm, is also a 'thing', in the same sense.

I agree it's vague! But it's even got its own twitter hashtag.

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com
I'd take it's a thing as meaning, "It's trending right now." As in, "Stories about vampires are a thing at the moment." In this case, it sounds like it's referring to whatever they said before that sentence.

fihr

Registered
Reaction score
Ah - that does explain some of the contexts I've seen this expression used in. Thanks, Polenth.

fihr

Registered
Reaction score
Hope anyone here affected is OK after Sandy. I've just been looking at the photos. It's devastating.

KitCat

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
:hi: Hi guys!

After a long year of finishing a first and second draft of a novel and getting frustrated with it not being ready, it was suggested (for the thousandth time) that I step away from it for awhile and work on something else. Soooo, I thought I'd get back into w1s1 for a bit and go back to it with a clear head.

I subbed my 4th one today and after being so frustrated lately, it's such a huge relief. Good to see you all again :)

hmm I need to go find my old w1s1 sticker for my sig too...

Taylor V

Registered
Reaction score
Website
ironypolicy.wordpress.com
Does anyone know anything about what's up with Nine? I've had something on submission there for 2 months, which duotrope claims is a pretty long time. Duotrope also says that nobody's had any responses from them in a month, and their twitter hasn't been updated in a month either...

(Also, hi, sorry I haven't been around much)

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
Does anyone know anything about what's up with Nine? I've had something on submission there for 2 months, which duotrope claims is a pretty long time. Duotrope also says that nobody's had any responses from them in a month, and their twitter hasn't been updated in a month either...

(Also, hi, sorry I haven't been around much)
:hi:

I'd like to know that too. I queried them several weeks back about a story and haven't heard back. Maybe they all took the month off. : /

fihr

Registered
Reaction score
In honour of NaNoWriMo, here's a quote used by a defence barrister in a trial here, to beg a plea of personality disorder for his client:

"It is open to your honour to find, on the balance of probabilities that [Peters'] personality had substantially disintegrated. You're talking about someone who is completely isolated ... has no social contact with their family or friends, and is obsessively writing a novel ... That does go to a substantial reduction in criminal culpability."

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/national/coll...-says-judge-20121107-28xi5.html#ixzz2BWJY5TzT

How many writers does this describe? And does obsessively writing short stories count too?

The judge was not convinced.

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
For those looking for a little motivation on the writing thing, if you aren't already aware, every week on Sunday nights* at 9:00pm Eastern (a little over an hour from now) the AW Chat FLASH FICTION CHALLENGE starts.

If you haven't been on the AW chat before, instructions are here. I like Chatzilla as a client, personally, but there are many available.

The prompt is posted on AW at 9:00pm, and although many folks start it right then, you can do it pretty much anytime all week if you want, although as soon as you've seen the prompt you have 90 minutes to write and then post your flash fiction piece. The FFC is hosted under the Writing Exercises, Prompts, &etc. headliner and is password-protected.

The cardinal rule is that no one says what the actual prompt is in chat, so as not to spoil it for those who start late. It's a great exercise to get the writing juice flowing, and it'd be awesome to see more folks join in. :)

(* your local time may vary)

Last edited:

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
Nine is permanently closing.

I have a feeling there's going to be a few other zines who will not be coming back for the new year. There should be some sort of Editors 101 class to prepare peeps for what's it's like to run a zine.

ETA: I just realized this is not "The Great W1S1 Hey-Do-You-Know-About-This-Market Thread"--d'oh! So much for posting when you're brain tired.

Last edited:

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
A somewhat belated Happy Turkeyday, for those celebrating! (What can I say, I've been cleaning/cooking/eating/cleaning/napping all day.)

Among the many things I'm thankful for is you guys, who are such unfailing support and encouragement for one another through endless highs and lows. Couldn't be prouder to be a small part of the great crowd here :)

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
Aww, thanks Zanzjan. :) :Hug2:

I'm also thankful for finding this cool group of peeps. Happy Turkey Day! (Or if you're like me, you had cornish game hen. :D)

ShadowFox

Registered
Reaction score
So, I assume write 1 sub 1 is going to be here next year? I've had a year off from it (although I have finished 59 stories and a novel, and am 1/3rd through a second novel so I have been writing but could not do it every week).

It was fun to do it last year, and I look forward to doing it again next year.

V1c

Hmmmmm
Registered
Reaction score
I used nano to get my story numbers up and have 8 drafts on my desk, and notes on some others - which is great for me. Looking forward to the editing/submitting part!

fihr

Registered
Reaction score
So I was told today, by a highly successful fantasy novelist, that writing short stories is a waste of time. No money to be made, compared to novels, and I'm not developing the right skill set.

I've been writing shorts to learn to write, to explore different genres and to develop my skills, but I do hope to one day write a novel. I've found I enjoy writing shorts. I never expected to make any money worth mentioning from it.

I feel quite sad after being told I'm wasting my time with shorts today, by such an accomplished person. But possibly they are doing me a big favour by being so up front.

What does everyone else think of writing shorts along the path to developing skills to write a novel?