My 3 Reasons for Self-Pubbing & Sales Updates on Print & Ebooks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ann Joyce

It's all about grace
Registered
Reaction score
Nice of you to take the time to extend well wishes, MP. I plan to update my sales figures in about a week if I have anything worth reporting.

That 'No Good Deed' cover of yours is pretty eye-catching.

Ann Joyce

It's all about grace
Registered
Reaction score
Hi James,

Okay now, be a gentleman and hold your laughter, please. I'm serious now, no snickering. So far, I've only sold them at the book signing open house, to strangers, and mail orders are starting to come in to my dedicated PO Box, both from other letters I sent out and from FB interest at this time.

I do carry a box of novels in my trunk so I have them available to sell to anyone that seems interested. In fact, I was in Michaels Craft store yesterday and met a lady in one of the aisles. We got to talking; I gave her a postcard I had made for this purpose (it has the book cover on the front in full color with a blurb about the story, and ordering info on the back in black and white). "Or," I told her, "if you'd like to save shipping, I have some in my car." She told me she'd take one, gave me $16. (includes tax) and we went out to my car where I signed it for her and got her address so I can let her know when the next one is published. I also give everyone that buys a book a couple of postcards that they can pass on to someone else if they like the book.

A neighbor's oldest daughter came over today and we are working on getting it formatted etc., so I can get it on KDP. After that, I'll try to get a website designed. Bottom line, no link yet, but I'm hopefully headed that way. Baby steps for me, but then, I've only had physical copies in my hands since the 20th of Oct. It feels to me like a pretty good start.

My intent is to try and keep this thread updated as I go. Perhaps there will be something of merit that will encourage and help one or two people. Thank you for your interest.

Last edited:

Ann Joyce

It's all about grace
Registered
Reaction score
P.S. I had just pulled into the garage from mailing an order that came in yesterday, when I saw the mother of the girl that's helping me and called out a greeting. She came up the driveway to chat and ended up buying 4 books from my trunk (1 for herself and 3 for gifts). She had missed the open house because of work. What an unexpected blessing to the end of my day.

It's those kind of things that make me look to see if there's earth beneath my feet. What a wondrous thing it is to see all of your hard work begin to bear fruit. It's probably old hat to seasoned veterans like yourself by now, but to me it's still brand new, and oh so humbling.

MorganMarshall

I keep my head firmly in the clouds
Registered
Reaction score
Website
gutsandglorybooks.com
I don't care what anyone else here says: you go! While I entirely understand the need for artistic and professional integrity in the publishing world, and, indeed, I agree with that (I HATE the idea of bad literature being circulated as literature *shudder*), I have to say that the gatekeepers can be VERY exclusive and judgmental. If it's not PERFECT, or doesn't fit into a boring, formulaic niche that they have decided the public wants, then it's not good enough for them.

Well, sometimes you just have to say "screw you", and do your own thing. They don't know EVERYTHING, and they shouldn't have the right to kill your dreams. Way to go!

Bloo

Roofied by Rylan
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emergencyroomproductions.net
I do carry a box of novels in my trunk so I have them available to sell to anyone that seems interested. In fact, I was in Michaels Craft store yesterday and met a lady in one of the aisles. We got to talking; I gave her a postcard I had made for this purpose (it has the book cover on the front in full color with a blurb about the story, and ordering info on the back in black and white). "Or," I told her, "if you'd like to save shipping, I have some in my car." She told me she'd take one, gave me $16. (includes tax) and we went out to my car where I signed it for her and got her address so I can let her know when the next one is published. I also give everyone that buys a book a couple of postcards that they can pass on to someone else if they like the book.

nothing at all wrong with buying a book out of the trunk. A former English professor of mine had a book published (through Berkley Trade), positive reviews from Booklist and Publisher's Weekly, a pull quote from Robert Parker. His daughter worked for me and I saw him walk in one dy and I said "Keith, I need 3 copies of your book where can I get it?" he walked out, got 3 copies out of his car, walked back in signed them, handed them to me, I paid him. Done. Nothing to laugh about there. And I was able to gift two friends with copies.

Stacia Kane

Girl Detective
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staciakane.com
If it's not PERFECT, or doesn't fit into a boring, formulaic niche that they have decided the public wants, then it's not good enough for them.

I dunno. I really like writing my boring, formulaic books. It's fun for me to sit down and think about how dull and same-y I can make everything I write, and to make sure I take no chances and do nothing different from anyone else.

I also enjoy reading the dull and formulaic books my friends write, and never looking for anything different in book stores.

I guess I'm just boring all around.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I don't care what anyone else here says: you go! While I entirely understand the need for artistic and professional integrity in the publishing world, and, indeed, I agree with that (I HATE the idea of bad literature being circulated as literature *shudder*), I have to say that the gatekeepers can be VERY exclusive and judgmental. If it's not PERFECT, or doesn't fit into a boring, formulaic niche that they have decided the public wants, then it's not good enough for them.

Well, sometimes you just have to say "screw you", and do your own thing. They don't know EVERYTHING, and they shouldn't have the right to kill your dreams. Way to go!

Morgan.

You have just insulted our members who make their livings writing the work that you've described as boring and formulaic.

You have just insulted our members who make their livings as agents and editors and buy the work you've described as boring and formulaic.

It's not a case of them "deciding what the public wants", it's a case of them seeing what the public buys and publishing more of it.

It's not a case of killing anyone's dreams, it's a case of publishing books which are strongly commercial and rejecting books which are not.

You need to think very carefully about how you're coming across. Do you want to be seen as someone who routinely insults AW's other members? As someone who thinks nothing of telling pubilshing professionals like me to screw ourselves? As someone who has such a poor understanding of publishing and the work of the professional writer that he makes such crass, ill-informed and blatantly illogical comments as this?

If you're fine with that, continue as you are and I'll ban you. If you'd rather be seen as a thoughtful, intelligent and respectful member of AW, then up your game.

MMcDonald64

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
P.S. I had just pulled into the garage from mailing an order that came in yesterday, when I saw the mother of the girl that's helping me and called out a greeting. She came up the driveway to chat and ended up buying 4 books from my trunk (1 for herself and 3 for gifts). She had missed the open house because of work. What an unexpected blessing to the end of my day.

It's those kind of things that make me look to see if there's earth beneath my feet. What a wondrous thing it is to see all of your hard work begin to bear fruit. It's probably old hat to seasoned veterans like yourself by now, but to me it's still brand new, and oh so humbling.

I think that is awesome! I wish I had your drive to sell hard copies.

I did the opposite of you, going with ebooks first. Partly because I am just very quiet about my books. I published the first book over two years ago, and except for the people in my small department, I can count on one hand the other who work here who know that I'm an author. I work at a hospital and so I chat all the time with dozens of nurses, xray techs, docs, etc.

I only just put one of my books in paperback last April, but I have done no signings or anything. I have one that I donated to the local library. Others I've given as gifts to my parents, a few aunts, and my bff. I also donated a few for my class reunion fundraiser.

I need to take a page from your book (figuratively, not literally!) and get the rest of my books out in paperback, and then have some in my car and stuff. I just have to shake my inhibitions about talking about my books in real life. (I have no problem talking online, as you can see!)

Ann Joyce

It's all about grace
Registered
Reaction score

Morgan, I want to thank you for the support; we certainly all need that, and I appreciate all the kind words offered here. At the same time, I do wish you would have left it with the well wishes and not felt the need to insult and belittle the authors and trade publishers here that walk a path that may be different from yours and mine.

I, for one, have learned a lot from these threads and am grateful that I have had this resource to draw from. There are a very limited number of posters that engage in what I think of as 'drive-by shootings.' Those are the ones that leave a snarky remark (perhaps thinking they are being clever) and quickly move on, but they are certainly in the minority. Most of the people here are trying to be helpful and encouraging. And many have been at this business a whole lot longer than we have. Why would they waste their time here if they didn't care (when they could be off writing)?

I was really not saying "screw you" in my decision to self-publish, but after a lot of thought and prayer and for the reasons I've listed in my original post, I felt it was the best way for me to go. I hope you will rethink your rather strong statements, and apologize to the people you have offended with your remarks. Even if you believe your own words, some things are better left unsaid. This is one place it's better to chew the cherries, and spit the pits. That's what I'm going to do with your post. So thanks again for the tasty, positive bits. The pits, not so much.

PS: No one can kill my dreams unless I allow them to. I may not be able to stop the bird from landing on my head, but I can keep him from building a nest.

Last edited:

Ann Joyce

It's all about grace
Registered
Reaction score
nothing at all wrong with buying a book out of the trunk. A former English professor of mine had a book published (through Berkley Trade), positive reviews from Booklist and Publisher's Weekly, a pull quote from Robert Parker. His daughter worked for me and I saw him walk in one dy and I said "Keith, I need 3 copies of your book where can I get it?" he walked out, got 3 copies out of his car, walked back in signed them, handed them to me, I paid him. Done. Nothing to laugh about there. And I was able to gift two friends with copies.

Actually Bloo, I find it rather fun. It is a viable way to sell books, and so far, it's working for me. Your story is fun too, as well as affirming. I was really kind of teasing about the snickering - lol. Thanks for your input...appreciate it!

Ann Joyce

It's all about grace
Registered
Reaction score
I think that is awesome! I wish I had your drive to sell hard copies.

I did the opposite of you, going with ebooks first. Partly because I am just very quiet about my books. I published the first book over two years ago, and except for the people in my small department, I can count on one hand the other who work here who know that I'm an author. I work at a hospital and so I chat all the time with dozens of nurses, xray techs, docs, etc.

I only just put one of my books in paperback last April, but I have done no signings or anything. I have one that I donated to the local library. Others I've given as gifts to my parents, a few aunts, and my bff. I also donated a few for my class reunion fundraiser.

I need to take a page from your book (figuratively, not literally!) and get the rest of my books out in paperback, and then have some in my car and stuff. I just have to shake my inhibitions about talking about my books in real life. (I have no problem talking online, as you can see!)

Thank you. For me, the decision to self-pub came with the knowledge that I would have to be my own marketer. I will admit, I've been in sales of one kind or another since I was sixteen, so these things do come easily to me. I love meeting people and signing a book out of my trunk is great fun to me.

It sounds to me like you've got an audience right where you work that's tailor made for selling ops. I sold two of my novels to the receptionists at my dentist office in this way. The one that has finished reading it has already told me she's waiting for the next one.

We should never be pushy, but there are so many natural places in normal conversation where it would be appropiate to mention that you're an author. It's really amazing how many people are interested. As for promotion, I will do an open house book signing like I described above as each new book is published. It's a good way to get those first books out there, IMHO.

I hope I have encouraged you in some way to try a couple of the above suggestions. If you begin with baby steps, in no time at all, you'll begin to feel more comfortable with it. A quick story: When I was young, I was the shyest person you've ever seen. When my grade school English teacher assigned an oral report, I tried to barter, saying I would do five written reports instead. She told me I had to do the oral report or take an F. I told her to put me down for the F then. The sad thing is, I was a straight A student in English other than that. Baby steps...you can do it...I'm with ya!

MMcDonald64

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
You have inspired me. :) However, some of my lack of selling hard copies has just been a shortage of time. Starting next week, I'll be going part-time at my job, so I plan to focus some time on getting my other three books uploaded to CreateSpace. With limited time, my focus has been on writing and marketing my ebooks, which have done fairly well--but I have to say it is very cool to hold a paperback and have something tangible in hand to show people.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have to say that the gatekeepers can be VERY exclusive and judgmental. If it's not PERFECT, or doesn't fit into a boring, formulaic niche that they have decided the public wants, then it's not good enough for them.

Oh, what absolute bollocks.

Ann Joyce

It's all about grace
Registered
Reaction score
MP...thank you for your kind words. I just went over and checked out your blog. You're a great writer! No wonder you're having such success with your e-books. Made me feel a bit foolish talking to you about baby steps. *blush* I'm sure glad it was only in the area of hard copies. If I inspired you in some small way, I am glad. And yes, it does feel cool to hold that physical book in your hands. Hope the rest of your day is wonderfu!

MorganMarshall

Registered
Reaction score
Website
gutsandglorybooks.com
I dunno. I really like writing my boring, formulaic books. It's fun for me to sit down and think about how dull and same-y I can make everything I write, and to make sure I take no chances and do nothing different from anyone else.

I also enjoy reading the dull and formulaic books my friends write, and never looking for anything different in book stores.

I guess I'm just boring all around.

Well. This sucks.

I could go into all sorts of detail about why I wrote what I wrote, or how I wrote it, or whatever, but in the end all that really matters is I hurt feelings, and for that I am truly sorry. That was not my intention in the least. Sometimes this industry can really get to you, I suppose, and when everyone who's gotten through the door seems to look down on everyone who hasn't, it gets to you even more after a while. That said, I did not mean to attack anyone, offend, or hurt feelings. My own hurt does not give me the right to hurt others.

Again, I am sorry.

Ann Joyce

It's all about grace
Registered
Reaction score
I could go into all sorts of detail about why I wrote what I wrote, or how I wrote it, or whatever, but in the end all that really matters is I hurt feelings, and for that I am truly sorry. That was not my intention in the least. Sometimes this industry can really get to you, I suppose, and when everyone who's gotten through the door seems to look down on everyone who hasn't, it gets to you even more after a while. That said, I did not mean to attack anyone, offend, or hurt feelings. My own hurt does not give me the right to hurt others.

Again, I am sorry.

Morgan, I want to thank you for your apology. That isn't always easy to do. I know I've had to eat crow myself more than once (and not a salt shaker in the place). In fact, I offended some people with my original post in this thread, which led me to edit it a bit. Like you, I did not mean to offend. I know your intention was to offer me encouragement.

I understand what you're saying about how it sometimes feels. My wise daughter always says, "Whether something is actually true or not doesn't matter; it's still your truth." It's so easy then to react out of hurt and disappointment. I have a feeling you're a very nice person, who probably just didn't think about it overmuch before you hit that share button.

I hope those that felt like they were being dissed will accept your apology and we can all move on. Again, thanks for your support!

MorganMarshall

Registered
Reaction score
Website
gutsandglorybooks.com
I read this thread this morning and my heart sank. I honestly never want to hurt anyone. It was a stupid backlash over slighted feelings and personal frustration that I never should have written, and I felt like the biggest loser for having done so.

That said, my support of you stands. :) We all have to choose the path that is right for us.

MMcDonald64

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
MP...thank you for your kind words. I just went over and checked out your blog. You're a great writer! No wonder you're having such success with your e-books. Made me feel a bit foolish talking to you about baby steps. *blush* I'm sure glad it was only in the area of hard copies. If I inspired you in some small way, I am glad. And yes, it does feel cool to hold that physical book in your hands. Hope the rest of your day is wonderfu!

Foolish? No way! You have sold more hard copies in a month or so than I've sold since April when I put mine out. I'm taking notes from your posts. lol.

merrihiatt

Writing! Writing! Writing!
Absolute Sage
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
merrihiatt.com
Ann, very exciting news! I, too, carry books in my trunk and have sold many copies from someone asking me about them. I'll be spending all day this Saturday at a bazaar where I'll have fun chatting with people, seeing what all the other vendors are selling, and selling books and poetry bookmarks. It will be a fun day and hopefully add some green stuff to my coffers. Mostly it's just a fun way to spend the day with my niece.

Stacia Kane

Girl Detective
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staciakane.com
Well. This sucks.

Again, I am sorry.

I read this thread this morning and my heart sank. I honestly never want to hurt anyone. It was a stupid backlash over slighted feelings and personal frustration that I never should have written, and I felt like the biggest loser for having done so.

That said, my support of you stands. :) We all have to choose the path that is right for us.

You didn't hurt my feelings, Morgan. And you don't have to explain why you said it; I know why. It's not an uncommon thing for (forgive me) rejected writers to say. I understand.

But it's still not true, and it *can* be hurtful.

The thing is...I'm going to be very blunt with you here. I've seen you elsewhere on the forums expressing frustration that people aren't crediting you with knowledge of and experience in the publishing industry. Statements like the one you made are part of the reason why people assume you're new to the business, because people who do know a lot about it understand that the submission process isn't designed to keep good books away from readers; it's designed to do the opposite. To trot out an analogy I've used many times before, you and I might think TWILIGHT is crap, but an agent and editor read it, thought "I bet a lot of readers will like this," and guess what? They were right.

If we have issues with the tastes of readers, if we wish books we thought were better books were more popular than books we consider lousy, well, that's our issue. It's not an unreasonable one. We've all seen books we think are awesome fail. But that's not the fault of "the gatekeepers." It doesn't mean the book isn't good, either. It means that it doesn't match whatever it is readers were/are looking for, and that's all. Industry professionals spend a lot of time studying and thinking about what readers want, because they want to give it to them. That's their job. Their job is not to give writers a chance or fulfill dreams, it is to give readers the books readers want, and they're right more often than they're wrong.

As for people looking down on you somehow, or this forum in general being a place where people without experience are treated badly...please report any posts of that nature you may see. Those of us who do have experience aren't here because we want to make others feel bad. We're here because we want to help. I don't come here to laugh at people or boost my ego. I come here because I want to offer help and advice, because that help and advice was offered to me when I was starting out. No one is trying to intimidate you or put you down. No one is making fun of you. We want to help you. We want to see you succeed. We're doing the best we can. But please do us the favor, and pay us the respect, of not assuming we're all trying to plant little barbs in our posts for you to trip on.

I won't play the "No one can make you feel inferior except you" card, but I do ask you, in all seriousness: Are you seeing an attitude towards you because it's there, or because you think it's there? When you see an attitude, is it in response to something you might have said--like your post above--that perhaps may have been rude, or hurtful, or whatever else? In other words, before you accuse people of having attitude, are you sure you've expressed none? I'm not saying you have, just that it's good to look at the entire conversation and not just one part of it. You don't know us well and we don't know you; isn't it possible wires are simply getting crossed due to unfamiliarity?

AW is a great place. We want you here. We want to help you and we want to see you become a member of the community. Please give us a little credit for that, and don't assume we see you as a human volleyball we can throw around.

Please feel free to PM me if you ever feel there is a problem. Or PM any mod. Again, we are here to help.

Ann Joyce

It's all about grace
Registered
Reaction score
Ann, very exciting news! I, too, carry books in my trunk and have sold many copies from someone asking me about them. I'll be spending all day this Saturday at a bazaar where I'll have fun chatting with people, seeing what all the other vendors are selling, and selling books and poetry bookmarks. It will be a fun day and hopefully add some green stuff to my coffers. Mostly it's just a fun way to spend the day with my niece.

Merri, Good to know you've been doing it awhile successfully. Please come by and let us know how your sales went at the bazaar. I hope your fingers turn green. Have fun with your neice.

I am doing an arts and craft show Saturday too. I have a dozen lamps to sell (leaf or flower covered shades, etc.); tons of calligraphy (hand-painted & matted); a few water colors; and I'm going to set up a display with my one novel as well. I have no idea of what to expect as far as the book goes, but I'm hopeful. Even a few sales would be an exciting thing. I'll try to post my results on Sunday, as well as total sales so far. It will be 3 weeks since I sold that first copy then. Cheers!

PS: I get to spend the day with a daughter of my heart (ex-daughter-in-law, never ex-daughter), so you and I both have a win-win day to look forward to.

Last edited:

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Merri, Good to know you've been doing it awhile successfully. Please come by and let us know how your sales went at the bazaar. I hope your fingers turn green. Have fun with your neice.

I am doing an arts and craft show Saturday too. I have a dozen lamps to sell (leaf or flower covered shades, etc.); tons of calligraphy (hand-painted & matted); a few water colors; and I'm going to set up a display with my one novel as well. I have no idea of what to expect as far as the book goes, but I'm hopeful. Even a few sales would be an exciting thing. I'll try to post my results on Sunday, as well as total sales so far. It will be 3 weeks since I sold that first copy then. Cheers!

Good luck with the sales! (and with your company :Sun: )

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I needed to have my first born published and I wasn’t willing to wait around for an agent to give me the coveted nod.
That's a valid reason to self publish.

I wish you luck, but I think you've already met your goals of getting published and that total sales aren't really the point. And I suspect that, for you, it's the perfect ending to your journey.

Congratulations.

Jeff

merrihiatt

Writing! Writing! Writing!
Absolute Sage
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
merrihiatt.com

PS: I get to spend the day with a daughter of my heart (ex-daughter-in-law, never ex-daughter), so you and I both have a win-win day to look forward to.

Ann, I may have missed this earlier. Do you have a website? I'd love to see your craft projects. Bazaars and craft shows are fabulous places!! I used to make $280-$400 at each one I did back before my cancer situation. I have a breathing issue now from radiation hitting my lung during treatment that makes it difficult to be a vendor.

Enjoy your time with your daughter!!! You're right aout it being a win-win for both of us.

Status
Not open for further replies.