Status
Not open for further replies.

slhuang

Inappropriately math-oriented.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.slhuang.com
Hi! Starting a new thread on this as I think things might've changed as time has gone on.

I want to upload a new file for my book that updates the front and back matter as I put out my paperback and sequels (mainly to credit my paperback interior designer and link to the sequels). But there are no changes to the content of the book, and I definitely don't want to annoy previous purchasers by having the retailers prompt them to download a new copy or something. So my question is: Do the retailers do that kind of prompting automatically, or do you have to opt in for it? And if so, if I don't want it then how do I stop it from happening?

Er. From what I've been able to find I think the answer these days is "just upload a new copy and nothing will happen to previous purchasers' copies unless I request it," but I wanted to get confirmation on that. ;)

TIA!

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com
I bought my books on Amazon to test this some time back. It doesn't appear to automatically notify people of new versions or to change the version they have. They will get the new version if they need to redownload the book for some reason. Which is handy to know for things like typo correction too. There's no reason to hold off that I can see.

No idea how the other markets handle it (outside of Smashwords, who lets people access any version released since they bought it). I tend to play it safe elsewhere and lump any updates together, so if it does notify it won't be frequent.

cmhbob

Did...did I do that?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bobmuellerwriter.com
Amazon has been pretty good about notifying me of a new version when I hit the website. I think there's a toggle for that that they customer has to opt in to.

Yep, just checked it. If you visit https://www.amazon.com/mn/dcw/myx.html#/home/content/booksAll/dateDsc/ and scroll through your books, you'll see a button with "Update Available." Click that and Amazon will send the new version.

Also, if you go to Settings (https://www.amazon.com/mn/dcw/myx.html#/home/settings/payment), there's a toggle under "Automatic Book Update." I have mine turned off, although it may be paranoia to do so. I know that int he past, Amazon has pulled digital editions of books and actually removed them from devices. I hope (but haven't verified) that leaving the Automatic Book Update turned off would keep them from being able to remove a book from my device.

slhuang

Inappropriately math-oriented.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.slhuang.com
I thanked everyone in rep but I just wanted to put a big thank you in thread. :D Really appreciate the responses and reassurances! I uploaded the new copies today -- totally terrifying to do that for some reason; I kept thinking I would . . . I dunno . . . break something or summat. ;) (I'm sure it will get easier; I know it's advised to upload new back matter with each new release to link and such . . .)

Anyway, thank you so much, everyone! :heart:

Status
Not open for further replies.