Maybe I'll Earn a Pizza - Self Publishing Diary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dlmusic

Registered
Reaction score
Now that my bump is over, I've had a pretty hard crash today. Somehow managed to hold some of my ranking, which is surprising since I had such little sales. I know the amazon algorithm hasn't picked me up yet to recommend my book, so I'm pretty much invisible. Hoping some of the people who have bought the book spread the word of mouth. Other than that, I'll coast until my sequel. I wasn't figuring to get decent sales until my fourth book so we will see what happens.

Moldy

Registered
Reaction score
Now that my bump is over, I've had a pretty hard crash today. Somehow managed to hold some of my ranking, which is surprising since I had such little sales. I know the amazon algorithm hasn't picked me up yet to recommend my book, so I'm pretty much invisible. Hoping some of the people who have bought the book spread the word of mouth. Other than that, I'll coast until my sequel. I wasn't figuring to get decent sales until my fourth book so we will see what happens.

Huh, I never thought about the recommendation algorithms. Is there a good post or guide to how those work on Amazon?

AnnaPappenheim

"Quod me alit, me extinguit."
Registered
Reaction score
There's also some groups on Goodreads that connect readers and authors:
Goodreads Authors/Readers
Making Connections

Those are two good ones.

You might also consider joining a group or two in your book's genre, then participate in general, topic-related discussions at least once a week. If people like what you have to say (not about your book, mind you), they'll end up going to your profile page, maybe send you and friend request, and/or maybe buy your book!

Also, make sure your book is one your Favorites shelf, and that your Favorites shelf also features books in your genres.

There are also quizzes on Goodreads, so you can post a quiz like the one you did (or maybe even the same one).

You could also link your signature on here (AW) to your Goodreads profile.

Dlmusic

Registered
Reaction score
Amazon picked up my book in the algorithm finally, yay! I stabilized today and for the first time since the release, went up slightly from the day before. For now, my plan is to just focus on the writing of the sequel. Hopefully, by the time it's ready I will have some more reviews for my book and can land myself a Bookbub ad.

Eventually, once the third book is out, I'll probably go to making the first book free.

grayworld

Registered
Reaction score
Amazon picked up my book in the algorithm finally, yay! I stabilized today and for the first time since the release, went up slightly from the day before. For now, my plan is to just focus on the writing of the sequel. Hopefully, by the time it's ready I will have some more reviews for my book and can land myself a Bookbub ad.

Eventually, once the third book is out, I'll probably go to making the first book free.

Based on your gorgeous cover and solid writing (preview, Amazon) alone, I'm sure you'll do just fine. And props for having an actual game plan. You're way ahead of where I was when I was releasing my first book. Best of luck to you.

And if you ever figure out Amazon's new algorithms, kindly let the rest of us know :)

Dlmusic

Registered
Reaction score
Reviews have come in on various blogs. Two were very positive, two were a bit more mixed. However, so far everyone says they want to read the sequel. So that's good.

Dlmusic

Registered
Reaction score
Update. Sales continue to trickle in. Not blazing the charts but I didn't expect that on my first book. The sequel is coming along nicely and I still hope to release before the end of the year. Reviews are still strong thus far, with the only two mixed reviews coming from those blog reviews. Overall I'm happy with the response, but I'm hoping and planning on the second book helping me launch my career a bit further. I'm also going to try to get a Bookbub ad as soon as I have the second book up.

Further down the road, once I have the third book up, I will probably make the first book free. Or I might make a companion piece to the book set in the same universe and make it free.

profen4

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
Update. Sales continue to trickle in. Not blazing the charts but I didn't expect that on my first book. The sequel is coming along nicely and I still hope to release before the end of the year. Reviews are still strong thus far, with the only two mixed reviews coming from those blog reviews. Overall I'm happy with the response, but I'm hoping and planning on the second book helping me launch my career a bit further. I'm also going to try to get a Bookbub ad as soon as I have the second book up.

Further down the road, once I have the third book up, I will probably make the first book free. Or I might make a companion piece to the book set in the same universe and make it free.

That you're managing the sales you are with only one book is really incredible. Most first books in a series lie untouched until book 2 comes along, or even book 3. I noticed a sharp uptick once book 3 came out.

Good luck, and thanks for sharing!

akaria

Registered
Reaction score
That is a wonderful review and now I've officially begun holiday shopping. Based on that review, my teen would probably love it!

Dlmusic

Registered
Reaction score
As an experiment I raised my price on Amazon. Figured since orders were just trickling in to make as most per sale as possible. It actually increased my sales somewhat, unless the bump is just due to the really great review. At any rate, it proves that being at the bottom of the barrel price wise is not necessarily the best bet.

Still not making enough to factor life choices, but I'm hoping I can get a BookBub as to promote my first book in time for my sequel. I'm also hoping by then my monthly sales will be three times as much as now from the extra exposure of the second book.

Last edited:

Dlmusic

Registered
Reaction score
Work on the sequel continues and sales keep trickling in for the first book.

By the way, if anyone has read the first book and enjoyed it, I'm looking for BETA readers for the sequel. PM me if you are interested.

akaria

Registered
Reaction score
Better trickling sales than no sales. And hey, you've made pizza money!

Pricing is such a tricky thing. I'm glad the price bump is working out.

Good luck on the sequel!

Dlmusic

Registered
Reaction score
I decided considering how little I had been pulling with Kindle Unlimited borrows to go ahead and withdraw out of Select for the time being. That said, I still had some countdown days leftover so I'm running them at the moment. So if you'd like to get the book at $.99, it's on sale over the weekend. Kind of wish I had planned this out a bit more to get some publicity out there, but I plan on trying for a Bookbub ad later at some point and I'll bookend it with some other ads if I can.

In the meantime the sequel is going well, but the intricate plot has proven difficult to work with. It's not likely I'll publish before the end of the year but I should make it in January.

caracy

Expert on Absolutely Nothing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.francinezane.com
Hey, what can I say? I found this thread today and actually had a great time following your path to success, and yes, it is success. Maybe not buy a new car success but you've already surpassed your realistic expectations. I hope you continue posting.

Dlmusic

Registered
Reaction score
Well it's been a big break. I got a big boost in sales over Christmas, but after that it has only been a trickle. It took me longer to write my sequel than I anticipated, but I'm going to release it in a few weeks. Excited to see how much of an impact it has on sales.

AndreaGS

Registered
Reaction score
Website
andreagstewart.com
I've heard that having more than one book out really boosts sales, so I'll cross fingers for you! Curious to hear how it goes! I saw you withdrew from Kindle Select--did you add to other sales channels?

Last edited:

Dlmusic

Registered
Reaction score
I haven't seen much movement from the other channels, but I wasn't sure if being in Kindle Select was having much benefit. I figured long term I might as well start doing ground work at those other channels.

Anyway, I have released my sequel now.
Catalyst (Elevated Saga, #2)

I was very happy with how it turned out, better than the first book I think. I'm writing a bit slower than I would have liked but I still hope to have 4 books up by the end of this year. One book I'm working on right now has no relevance to the Elevated Saga, it's a romance comedy novel.

Dhewco

Registered
Reaction score
Don't forget to change your Amazon author bio...it still says Catalyst will be out at the end of the year.

SBibb

Registered
Reaction score
Website
sbibb.wordpress.com
Congrats on releasing the second book. Good luck with your sales. :)

EDIT: By the way, any chance you'll be releasing a print edition?

Status
Not open for further replies.