Webcomics: How long is too long, and other questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

starlinguncaged

Registered
Reaction score
Hi AW-Comic peeps~

So this is going to be my go to thread for a while as I start working on my webcomic.

Some preface about myself:
I'm an avid webcomic reader and lover. I've been reading them for going on 12 years now, and it's been a long time dream of mine to finally create my own. I wish I could say that this one is my first try, but alas it's probably about my 5th now. I'd point you to a link to see these other failed projects, but the sad truth is there aren't any, as I've never actually made it out of the conception/planning stage before. There's been one or two that got pretty close (I started drawing a couple pages) but...eh, I was a lot younger and things like school easily kept me "too busy" to make much headway; or at least any effective headway. And I've had the awful habit of burning out my excitement/motivation on a project too quickly. (The woes of being a "conceptualizer" type, I'm sure).

My preferred genres are fantasy and adventure both in what I read and create; though, I enjoy comedy, drama, sci-fi, and historical fiction as well. I suppose you could call me pretty escapist in what I enjoy. And yeah, I am. But I'm a strong believer in this:
"Fantasy reveals the truths reality obscures." -Unknown

That all being said, what about this time is going to be different? How can I guarantee that I'll actually make this one? Well, I'm tired of not finishing anything. I want to prove to myself that I can do it, if nothing else. I need to. But I'm definitely going to need help along the way! And that, of course, is where you lovelies come in ;)

So my first question as I begin, is in terms of webcomics, how long is too long?

I know I've read/am reading a few series that's been going on for 10 years strong. Mine could easily reach that if (if I stick to it) I did a twice a week schedule with the length I imagine it will be. But is it too much to ask your readers to stick with you that long, only being able to read one page at a time?

What are your thoughts?

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
I think you're going to get different answers from everyone here. Some readers won't follow you longer than a few years, some will follow you to the heat death of the universe. The best thing you can do is write and draw the best comic you can, constantly be aware that you can improve, and keep things interesting for the reader.

In my own opinion, the difference of how long I'll follow is if the comic is going to be following the main character's lives in general (Questionable Content), gag-a-day (Saturday Morning Breakfast Cereal) or a self-contained story (Unsounded). I've followed some comics for over a decade, even self-contained ones as long as the they keep moving towards the end. I love a good story that lasts a year of once a week updates as much as the ones that run forever. The ones where "we need to accomplish X" and then no one makes any moves towards getting X done for months on end are the ones I drop. Keep things happening, and I'm a reader until the end.

TheNighSwan

Banned
Reaction score
It depends what kind of length you mean. If you mean "time it takes to publish the comic", then I don't think there's a rule, you can do the same comic for 20 years if you manage to keep it updating regularly, keep the story good, keep the readers invested, and so on.

For the length of the story itself, that depends how fast you update. People are more tolerant of slow-paced stories that take many installment to go forward if the update schedule is fast enough. My favorite example of the kind is Stand Still, Stay Silent, a very decompressed comic, which, in spite of its setting (post-apocalyptic) is mostly about character interaction; it can get away with it because it updates five times a week.

Invertly, for a comic that updates more slowly, once or twice a week, I'd expect a more fast paced story where each page sensibly moves the story forward.

starlinguncaged

Registered
Reaction score
@TAMaxwell:
lol...heat death of the universe.

But yeah, I can agree with that. And I'm fairly certain I can keep things moving.

Right now I'm trying to divide the overall story into 5 main arcs before I get into writing out the actual script. I'm picturing each arc could easily be 100-300+ pages on its own. So I definitely wanted to make sure something like that wouldn't be "Uggh...drag on forever" just outright.

@TheNighSwan: I haven't gotten into Stand Still, Stay Silent yet, but I read A Redtail's Dream which was excellent.

But yeah, you raise a very good point. I haven't decided yet what my update schedule will be, but I'm planning on having a ridiculous-huge buffer (something like 100+ pages done at all times) if I can help it.

Last edited:

Lissibith

On target
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, there's no arbitrary length. If it's good, and if you update regularly, you'll keep a readership. 1-3 times a week updates are fairly common in webcomics. And people who don't like reading a page at a time can always check back after a few weeks to read a bunch at once. (I know Order of the Stick has a pretty sizeable group of readers who do just that since the update schedule on that one is so sporadic)

Have you tried to stick to your schedule with non-posted pages for a little while? Just to make sure the amount of time it's going to take is an amount you're willing to give every week for 10 years or more? Just having watched my sister work on her web comic for almost 12 years now, I know that was a big thing she underestimated at the beginning - the time it would take and the other things she gave up to get the pages done.

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
There are no limits to webcomic length except what you impose upon yourself, if you're thinking about embarking upon a long-term project then just deux eet.

I read webcomics that update daily, 3 times a week, once a week, intermittently. Doesn't bother me if they miss an update or have a little hiatus (heh, I haven't updated mine since November), checking them only takes a mouse click, then I'm on the next one.

-Derek

starlinguncaged

Registered
Reaction score
@Lissibith: Yeah, that sounds pretty true. I was in that group of readers for OotS for a while myself...I'll have to go back and catch up on that one and Goblins. As for sticking to a schedule, I'll keep in mind doing a practice thing to see how it pans out with my day-to-day. But I'm not at that point yet. Thanks for the insight!

@dpaterso: Fair enough. ;p I shall, as Nike trademarked, "just do it".

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
I read webcomics that update daily, 3 times a week, once a week, intermittently. Doesn't bother me if they miss an update or have a little hiatus (heh, I haven't updated mine since November), checking them only takes a mouse click, then I'm on the next one.

-Derek

Exactly. Way I've got mine sorted, I've got a Favorites file for each update schedule (MWF, TThS, MTh, TF, Weekdays, Every Day, and Once a Week/Randomly). If one's not updated, it's a quick click to the next one and come back next update. Comic readers are a forgiving bunch. We just like to be entertained. Update mostly regularly, let us know in a visible area when you can't update or go on hiatus and when you might be back, and you'll be fine. A 5-arc story sounds perfectly reasonable. Girl Genius goes through various long arcs in an overarching story very well. If you haven't read it, I highly recommend it.

starlinguncaged

Registered
Reaction score
@TAMaxwell: I can not read that one. I shall add Girl Genius to my list. :)

I think I'll probably end up with a MWF schedule, as those tend to be my personal favorite. But we'll see.

Okay, I've got a less generalized question, and a more opinion-seeking one. So surprise, surprise, my story is Fantasy-Adventure, and I'm curious to know if there are any naming pet-peeves/dislikes among you fantasy-readers. Like, are you tired of every fantasy world being named something that starts with an "A"? Do you hate character names that you know aren't pronounceable and were probably just picked for how cool they look? lol

Last edited:

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I think that the overall length can be indefinite but there should be periodically closed sub-plots so that the read doesn't like the story is just drifting.

My pet peeve is webcomics where good character fights bad character is really the sum-total, one level plot being offered.

Lissibith

On target
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, I've got a less generalized question, and a more opinion-seeking one. So surprise, surprise, my story is Fantasy-Adventure, and I'm curious to know if there are any naming pet-peeves/dislikes among you fantasy-readers. Like, are you tired of every fantasy world being named something that starts with an "A"? Do you hate character names that you know aren't pronounceable and were probably just picked for how cool they look? lol
I do hate unpronounceable names.

I also hate when the character names are too similar without a reason. Like, one that I used to read had a Leigh and a Lee and the similarity in name had an in-story purpose. Another had a Melinda and a Melissa, and I had trouble keeping those straight in my head, and there was no reason for it.

starlinguncaged

Registered
Reaction score
@veinglory: Yeah. I'm not a big fan on one-dimensional stories either.

@Lissibith: Interesting, and very true. I feel like I've come across that before. And I know I've had some difficulties with keeping up with all the names, especially with characters who either look too much alike, or are not very memorable.

starlinguncaged

Registered
Reaction score
New question:

I'm getting myself to really start working on the script; this is the first time I've done it as the other projects either never got that far, or I did a weird event outline instead. But, I've read and heard from many sources that a script of some kind is the best way to go. However, I'm having a little trouble with it.

It's not so much writer's block, as it is I'm still rather unsure about the format. I get that you describe the actions to be drawn in the panels/pages and the main part of the writing is the dialogue.

So, how do you keep chugging along if you don't have a very clear visual in your mind on how the pages will look yet?

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
There are a few sticky threads in this forum that link to comic-making resources. Been a while since I read 'em, but try looking here and from that page, here which is a pretty good how-to example with illustrations.

-Derek

Status
Not open for further replies.