G'Day

SkyeOhWhy

hopelessly devoted to crumpets
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.skyemelki-wegner.com
Hi guys! Sorry I haven't posted here for a few weeks; things have been a bit hectic IRL.

I'm back home in Melbourne after my Sydney trip and wanted to thank those of you who helped with tourist suggestions. After meeting my publisher & agent I only ended up with one day to do tourist stuff, but I managed to cram in quite a few local attractions. Woke up at 6am and managed to cover Circular Quay (Cahill Walk), Opera House, Harbour Bridge, Manly, Darling Harbour, the Rocks, the monorail and three ferry trips -- and all by 3pm! :D It was an amazing day.

mccardey: Wow, love the snow! I visited France and Switzerland briefly last July and the Alps were stunning, but I'd love to see them during the winter.

And a big 'hello' to everyone else I haven't met yet! :)

Racey

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ah I love Sydney (but not as much as Melbs!). A friend of mine came in from London and we did a very similar tour of the city in a day. It's good tourist-wise, he loved the opera house and the bridge lol.

Glad you had a good time Skye! Would have been exciting to meet up with your pubs/agent!

Ixtila

↓ Shiny new avatar! ↓
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ellastradling.com
Yeah, that is a problem, isn't it?

Most of the threads I post in on AW, there'll be a massive discussion overnight for me to read through, then once I'm awake, everybody else is asleep, so I'm talking to myself. :tongue

Well, some people keep odd hours, so there's always someone around somewhere, but yeah - I kind of want to stay up all night one night and see how much fun it is to chat on AW while all the foreigners are going strong. :tongue

Welcome!

Hi Cliff Face, thanks for the welcome. I know exactly what you mean, I've encountered the same thing elsewhere online. I agree it would be fun to join in live sometimes. Unfortunately I need what little sleep I can get with 3 kids to chase after... :)

cooeedownunder

Grateful for the day
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.australianflavour.net
Cliff - nothing wrong with 4th...

And mccardy - you can keep the snow, only went once and I disliked it lots, but the bar was good - had a big fireplace :D

SkyeOhWhy

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.skyemelki-wegner.com
Ah I love Sydney (but not as much as Melbs!). A friend of mine came in from London and we did a very similar tour of the city in a day. It's good tourist-wise, he loved the opera house and the bridge lol.

Glad you had a good time Skye! Would have been exciting to meet up with your pubs/agent!

Thanks Racey! I was nervous beforehand but everyone was lovely and I had a fantastic time. :)

Ixtila and Cliff Face: Ah, the curse of time zones! I know your pain, heheh. I spent a good chunk of my teenage years on a rather US-heavy Harry Potter forum; it felt like constantly turning up late to a party. :D

fredXgeorge

I heart sexy elves and wizards.
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Racey! I was nervous beforehand but everyone was lovely and I had a fantastic time. :)

Ixtila and Cliff Face: Ah, the curse of time zones! I know your pain, heheh. I spent a good chunk of my teenage years on a rather US-heavy Harry Potter forum; it felt like constantly turning up late to a party. :D
High five for spending youth on Harry Potter forums! HP was my main one but I also spent a lot of time on LOTR/Orlando Bloom and Smosh forums. Who knows, we might have come across one another at some point! And yeah, spending thousands (millions?) of hours on different forums it can be annoying living on the other side of the world from basically everyone else. Le sigh!

SkyeOhWhy

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.skyemelki-wegner.com
High five for spending youth on Harry Potter forums! HP was my main one but I also spent a lot of time on LOTR/Orlando Bloom and Smosh forums. Who knows, we might have come across one another at some point!
Ooh, were you a Leaky Cauldron or Mugglenet fan? *Returns high five* I was on Leaky. :D I divided my teenage online life between HP and a fan forum for The Killers (the band).

Ah, memories!

LA*78

Registered
Reaction score
I have never read HP either. I've seen a couple of the movies. My oldest child is 7 so I will probably read them in the next couple of years as I'm sure he'll want to read them eventually. At the moment I have him working through Roald Dahl's work.

Racey

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Never read HP? Wow you guys are kind of special, one in a million... lol :) It's been a while since I've met a non-HP reader.

Ooh, were you a Leaky Cauldron or Mugglenet fan? *Returns high five* I was on Leaky. :D I divided my teenage online life between HP and a fan forum for The Killers (the band).

Ahh The Killers, did you see them in Melbs in Jan? Awesome.
:e2woo:

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
I saw The Killers years ago at the Big Day Out in Adelaide - forget which year. But it was when Metallica and Slipknot were booked, which is the main reason I went.

I don't really remember The Killers's performance very much. I wasn't really there to see them, and had never heard of them at that point.

fredXgeorge

I heart sexy elves and wizards.
Registered
Reaction score

Ah, memories!
:D I was MuggleNet. Ahh the good old days!

:e2woo:
My best friend's dad is a truck driver and often does concerts. He did The Killers' concert up in (I think) Brisbane and had no idea who they were. He actually had a ciggie and chatted with the lead singer and it was only a few days later he found out they were super famous lol.

Racey

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well if anyone's interested, Hot Fuss is the best Killers album IMO.. good one to try, to get feel for what they're about. They have a great vibe!

My best friend's dad is a truck driver and often does concerts. He did The Killers' concert up in (I think) Brisbane and had no idea who they were. He actually had a ciggie and chatted with the lead singer and it was only a few days later he found out they were super famous lol.

This story is brilliant LOL..

SkyeOhWhy

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.skyemelki-wegner.com
Yup, they were amazing! Third time I've seen them live (but first time outside a festival) and I swear they're getting better every time. :)

I saw The Killers years ago at the Big Day Out in Adelaide - forget which year. But it was when Metallica and Slipknot were booked, which is the main reason I went.

I don't really remember The Killers's performance very much. I wasn't really there to see them, and had never heard of them at that point.

Fair enough! :) I went to V-Fest and Good Vibes a few years back to see the Killers, so I know how forgettable other festival acts can seem when you're waiting on tenterhooks for your faves.

I was MuggleNet. Ahh the good old days!

Haha, that's awesome. :D
(Although a small fangirly part of me is crying at the missed autograph opportunity, heheh.)

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I remember enjoying The Killers when they were on, but like I said, this was when they were fairly new and I had no idea what to expect. But they were on the same stage as Metallica (2 hours prior) and Slipknot was in the intervening hour on the stage next to it, so I set up camp there.

They're sort of rock-ish flavour, right? Like, not that heavy, but kind of moody/dark at times, with a fair bit of energy?

I really don't know. The few times I hear the radio (usually when I'm in someone's car or at the shops) I have no idea who's playing. The radio announcers don't tell me who the song is by very often.

I could hear a song 20 times in a month on the radio, and still have no idea who it is.

SkyeOhWhy

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.skyemelki-wegner.com
They're sort of rock-ish flavour, right? Like, not that heavy, but kind of moody/dark at times, with a fair bit of energy?
Yeah, pretty much. Definitely not heavy but plenty of energy. Their most famous songs are probably their older hits like Mr Brightside, Somebody Told Me, All These Things that I've Done ("I got soul but I'm not a soldier…" etc.) and When You Were Young.

Mr Brightside got a lot of radio airplay back around 2004/ 2005. :)

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Mr Brightside got a lot of radio airplay back around 2004/ 2005. :)

That'd be around the time I saw them play at the Big Day Out, I think.

I've lost track of the years though... There were about 5 years there with no major milestone events, where I didn't really do very much. Consequently, I now can't remember what in those 5 years happened when...

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
*packs bags for Melbourne*

Uh, I can claim the flights on my taxes right? Provided I make a little money from writing? :D

*prints copy of TEC, binds it, and slaps a price tag on it, takes it to the festival*

There. No problem.