"DNS Server Is Not Responding", "DNS Server Doesn't Exist".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
The Best Place In The World...Absolute Write!!
Royal pain in the derriere.

I don't know what the heck the DNS server is. It's so difficult for me to connect to the internet because of that. Today I spent the whole day, from like 9:45 AM trying to connect and I didn't connect till today around 8:13 PM. It kept giving me the same message, "DNS Server is not responding" and then on the "detailed information" link it would tell me, "Your computer is trying to connect to a DNS server that is incorrect or doesn't exist." :censored I'd been using DSL since 2003 and I'd never had that problem before. It started when I got my new laptop back in Jan 3, 2010, but in the beginning it would only happen every once in a while. I would restart the modem and restart the computer. Problem solved. Now, it happens all the time. I spend the whole day trying to connect and fail. Has this ever happened to any of you before? Thanks for your help in advance. You guys know how awesome you are.

Love
Magali.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
You probably need to update the drivers for your modem -- and the firmware, usually.

What is the name of the program you use to get on the net? Not the browser, like Internet Explorer, but the part that shows lights, etc when you are connected?

Reaction score
Sounds like the problem I'm having with my laptop.

But updating drivers isn't possible if your computer refuses to connect to the internet at all.

Williebee

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
Magali

Call your service provider. They should be providing DNS resolution for you.

DNS, the 60 second version -

Remember Ernestine the Switchboard Operator, from Laugh In? Ever heard of a telephone cross directory?

That's what DNS does. You enter in a website address and DNS knows the location for it, and goes and gets it for you.

You see, things that connect to the internet get an address (IP, or internet protocol address.) -- Your computer, my phone, that website, that email server... that online video camera...

DNS servers keep track of those numbers and the names they relate to. Then they regularly tell each other what addresses they know, and keep track of what the other DNS servers know.

When the DNS server that provides this information to your machine dies, gets balky, or loses it's mind, you can get those errors.

Also, when the website you are trying to find stops telling ITS DNS server what its address is, that DNS server takes it off the list and stops telling the world about it. Eventually, the world can't find that website anymore.

Make sense?

Williebee -- Who frantically rebuilt a dead DNS server last week. grrrrr

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score

But updating drivers isn't possible if your computer refuses to connect to the internet at all.

Yeah, I had to find my Sierra Wireless stuff from a different computer and use a flash drive.

They weren't real DNS errors, btw. It was wonky firmware. It depends on how your PC gets its IP address, too.

Basically, I could get on fine after a reboot. That was a hint to try the software route, imho.

But of course it could be one of many things, as usual with these things! :)

Collectonian

Inclined to eclectic eccentricity
Registered
Reaction score
You could also switch to OpenDNS...I was having a lot of DNS issues on my cable modem until I did that. It is free and generally more up to date and has a better uptime than some of the ISP ones.

Reaction score
You probably need to update the drivers for your modem -- and the firmware, usually.

What is the name of the program you use to get on the net? Not the browser, like Internet Explorer, but the part that shows lights, etc when you are connected?

I am not able to connect to the net at all sometimes, and sometimes when I'm on a website and I click on a link...BOOM! The modem turns off by itself. :censored

Word. Give that girl a point. I am glad to know that I'm not the only one going through this.

Magali

Call your service provider. They should be providing DNS resolution for you.

DNS, the 60 second version -

Remember Ernestine the Switchboard Operator, from Laugh In? Ever heard of a telephone cross directory?

That's what DNS does. You enter in a website address and DNS knows the location for it, and goes and gets it for you.

You see, things that connect to the internet get an address (IP, or internet protocol address.) -- Your computer, my phone, that website, that email server... that online video camera...

DNS servers keep track of those numbers and the names they relate to. Then they regularly tell each other what addresses they know, and keep track of what the other DNS servers know.

When the DNS server that provides this information to your machine dies, gets balky, or loses it's mind, you can get those errors.

Also, when the website you are trying to find stops telling ITS DNS server what its address is, that DNS server takes it off the list and stops telling the world about it. Eventually, the world can't find that website anymore.

Make sense?

Williebee -- Who frantically rebuilt a dead DNS server last week. grrrrr

I knew nothing about this. Thank you so much. I know so much about DNS now. You've been a great help! :Thumbs:

Yeah, I had to find my Sierra Wireless stuff from a different computer and use a flash drive.

They weren't real DNS errors, btw. It was wonky firmware. It depends on how your PC gets its IP address, too.

Basically, I could get on fine after a reboot. That was a hint to try the software route, imho.

But of course it could be one of many things, as usual with these things! :)

Thanks for sharing your personal experience!!!

You could also switch to OpenDNS...I was having a lot of DNS issues on my cable modem until I did that. It is free and generally more up to date and has a better uptime than some of the ISP ones.

Is that software or hardware? I'm going to look it up and then come back and tell you how it went. Wish me luck.

Deleted member 42

A number of cable modems require that you hand-enter at least two DNS addresses (IP numbers) from your ISP.

In other words, call the ISP.

It's possible as well that you have an ailing modem.

petec

Lurking
Registered
Reaction score
th_offtopic-1.gif

Not helpful to OP

Reaction score
OpenDNS
Software, yes. Of course you have to get connected first.... Best to bug your service provider first. That's what you're paying them for.

Thank you for the link! I am going to try that.

A number of cable modems require that you hand-enter at least two DNS addresses (IP numbers) from your ISP.

In other words, call the ISP.

It's possible as well that you have an ailing modem.

Yes, everyone that I tell about the problem tells me that my modem might be sick.

"ailing modem" Medi - is that what that guy in your avatar has going on?

:ROFL:

th_offtopic-1.gif

Not helpful to OP

?

:ban

Ban who, me? What did I do wrong? :cry:

petec

Lurking
Registered
Reaction score
Originally Posted by petec
th_offtopic-1.gif

Not helpful to OP

?

Quote:
Originally Posted by petec
:ban

Sorry sorry all.

Posted in the wrong place.

Wrong message board even.

Too many tabs open at one time!!

Pete

Deleted member 42

If you got the modem from your ISP, they should replace it if it is in fact the problem.

Cable modems are being improved rapidly, still, so one that's two years old is already out of date. Sometimes the cable company improves the bandwidth, and an older modem can't cope.

petec

Lurking
Registered
Reaction score
Brilliant!

I am so pleased for you.Maybe you should now go to your router admin console (http://192.168.1.1) and record all the details. If you do not know user name and password, this may help,

Reaction score
Brilliant!

I am so pleased for you.Maybe you should now go to your router admin console (http://192.168.1.1) and record all the details. If you do not know user name and password, this may help,

I am only going to use it for 1 day because I am leaving for Florida tomorrow night and by tomorrow morning my computer will be packed up so today I got to do the most words I possibly can.

Status
Not open for further replies.