Self Pub Reviews

parsewell

Registered
Reaction score
I'm in the process of getting my first novel up on Kindle. Currently it's been edited and awaiting cover design. I'm looking at getting a few reviews from Indie Review sites such as Indie Reader, Portland Book Review etc. Perhaps even paying for a few of them. My question is about timing. Ideally I would have thought I want these reviews available before I launch the book and yet most of these review sites ask for the book in e-reader format and include cover art as part of the review. Most also have a policy (if not paid) of only reviewing a book within 90 days of launch. So, do you launch the book and then solicit reviews? This could create months of semi-dead time during which the book is available but nothing much is happening while we wait the 2-4 months for a review. All advdie much appreciated. Many thanks.

Celeste Carrara

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.celestecarrara.com
I never have reviews before I launch a book. And I have never and would never pay anyone for a review.

What I do is give away free ebook copies in exchange of an honest review. I find most of my reviewers through Goodreads (much quicker turn around) and if I get reviews from bloggers it's through a blog tour which I use a company to set up for me. (Goddess Fish Promotions)

If you really want those reviews before your release, can you change your release date?

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
If the window is within 90 days after release, before launch is clearly within the window. No review site I know of will put their nose up at an ARC.

That said, have you considered just going to review venues that relate to your genre or other readership-related categories? I think the days of needing indie specific review sites are coming to an end, and genre based sites are far more effective in building readership.

And I say that as someone who has run a indie-specific review blog since 2006. Back when I started it, authors had very few options but now things are a bit different. Readership-based review sites are more plentiful and open minded about e-format and indie, while many indie-specific ones are starting to descend into being an author exploitation industry.

Just my 2c.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I've never yet seen a compelling argument in favour of paying for reviews. If I were you I'd ignore the places which require payment.

WriterBN

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.k-doyle.com
Definitely avoid paying for reviews. Join a few review groups on Goodreads instead; you can submit ARCs for reviewers who request them. It may take several months, though; most reviewers have a long list.

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com
I do review requests after publication. My experience has been that indie/self-publishing book blogs want it once it's out, so they can include buy links. And genre book blogs have been burnt too often by self-published ARCs, so usually want to see the book is published (some authors used them like a critique service for the ARC). Reader review giveaways had a very low return. I didn't pay for anything and avoided sites that stated they only gave good reviews.

One thing I did for genre blogs was to check out their blog roll. If a blog didn't take self-published works, I'd check everyone they followed to see if those blogs did. It didn't lead to much in my case, but if you strike it lucky, you might get the ball rolling and get some interest from blogs who don't usually look at self-published stuff.

It's going to be slow though. When you're starting with no reputation and no publisher backing you up with marketing, it'd be more remarkable if you did start with a lot of reviews out the gate.

bananamelissa

Climbing the mountain of life
Registered
Reaction score
Website
melissa-field.com
Great discussion, thanks for sharing everyone. Getting reviews is one of the trickier aspects of self-publishing. I would agree not to pay for them simply because it could be very dejecting if the review isn't one you particularly like. I think that would really feel like a double wammy. I've experience this in my screenplay process. I paid for some reviews on the blacklist site. The first ones were good, so I paid for more. The next set was negative. It tanked my score and I was really smarting from the fact that I had paid someone to knock my work. I certainly learned from that experience.

wweisser

七国山病院へ&#
Registered
Reaction score
Website
metanautics.net
The most success I've had getting reviews were on goodreads and librarything. Librarything makes it very easy because you can set up a giveaway for an e-book. On goodreads you can do a giveaway for a paperback and then look at who entered, what other books they like, and then try messaging them and offering them a free copy in exchange for a review. Just don't overdo it and become spammy. I know people have success getting blogs to review their books but I never have. It seems (subjectively) that getting a review from a blogger has gotten harder as time goes on if you're starting out as an unknown.

Amazon's new feature of allowing pre-orders for self-published books may significantly impact the ability to get reviews of a book before its released, but I haven't tried it yet so I don't know first-hand.

Oh yeah, and don't pay for reviews, that's just gross.

Last edited:

bananamelissa

Climbing the mountain of life
Registered
Reaction score
Website
melissa-field.com
Wweisser I have to agree that getting blogs to review books has gotten harder. As writers catch on to what's worked for one person they tend to follow suit (which is always a good place to start, try what's worked, then branch out). I think the key is to dabble in both - try what's worked for other people, but also be open to alternative methods. I can't tell you what those alternatives are right now, because I'm still figuring it out myself ;)

wweisser

七国山病院へ&#
Registered
Reaction score
Website
metanautics.net
So true. I remember the first time I realized that there would never be a formula for successful self-publishing. Everyone has to learn to blaze their own path through trial and error, and odds are it's going to take a long time to find the way. Not my preferred activity either, I'd rather be writing.

ScribeLady

Registered
Reaction score
Reviewer Declined to Post Review

Someone who was going to review my novel, Bad Dad, which is now on Amazon and Goodreads sent me an e-mail saying that she wasn't going to post a review because she didn't like it. She pointed out what she considered some of the weaknesses in the novel.

The problem is, I don't have any reviews yet. BAD DAD was published on October 9th.

I am now awaiting reviews from two other people. I know I've got to scout out other reviewers. What a job!

Anyone else here have a similar experience?

Ouch!

Scribelady

WriterBN

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.k-doyle.com
I've been on the other side of that equation. I was asked to review a book, but when I started reading it, I realized I didn't like the writing style. I contacted the author and explained my reasons for declining. I didn't feel it was fair to write a review, since I'd only read a couple of chapters.

It happens.