How much weight does “I received a free copy in exchange for an honest review” have on Amazon etc?

Arpeggio

Registered
Reaction score
I find these ones appear (in most cases) more generally critical, honest and less likely to be fake. However I’m under the impression that customers (namely Amazon customers) don’t put as much value in non-purchase reviews, however, would this type be an exception at all?
I know that this applies to blogs that review I’m already doing that. I would be interested to hear anyone’s experience of this on Amazon as well as other retail sites (perhaps it works differently on different ones?). How much does it help sales?​

Mutive

Blissfully Clueless
Registered
Reaction score
Hmmm, well as a reader, reviews help me decide what to buy in general. (Especially good, candid seeming reviews.) I want to know whether what I'm buying is going to be a great read towards the end or peter out as soon as the free sample is done. Reviews, in theory, give me some insight into that.

As for the free copy line, it doesn't influence me much either way. (Although if the review seems overly glowing, I may be concerned that there's some tit for tat going on. Then again, I assume the same for any overly glowing review because I am a deeply cynical flower.)

Arpeggio

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Mutive, as a customer I would tend to put more weight on this type of review myself but I think that's largely because of an "in the industry" perspective and I think that this type of review doesn't tend to be as gamed (might be wrong). What regular customers think I don't know!

If this kind of review holds weight then it might be a good thing to persue because it has a much better response rate and is more scalable (as in it's more likely to work on people who aren't already fans for example).

This might be nothing new, but rather than contact people who review books, I was better served to ask the question "Who would be interested in my books?" and contact those people, people who have nothing to do with book reviews or the whole Goodreads etc ecosystem. Admitedly I think this would harder for Fiction but it might be worth pursuing.

NinjaFingers

Registered
Reaction score
Website
jennpovey.imagination-evolution.net
The free copy line is a legal requirement - if you review a product you are required to reveal if you were given the book to review.

It's not tit for tat - giving out free copies to reviewers has been industry standard for a long time, and some reviewers do cross post their reviews to Amazon these days. I've taken free copies in exchange for a review myself, and given them out. It's completely normal behavior in the industry.

With the internet, there are now quite a lot of amateurs who reduce the cost of their book habit by offering reviews in exchange for free copies, but it's still considered acceptable.

(Taking MONEY for a review is, however, frowned upon).

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
Am fine with this preamble, based on experience. The reviews that follow seem like fair and honest assessments. Verified purchases figure in too. Sadly, a reviewer's integrity can't be taken for granted. So you really can't be naive with reviews. A portion will be fraudulent.

NinjaFingers

Registered
Reaction score
Website
jennpovey.imagination-evolution.net
Fraudulent, malicious, based on factors other than the quality of the work, etc. It's best to look at multiple reviews and not place any weight on any particular one. Writers can get everything from friends or relatives giving them insanely glowing reviews that make it look like they solicited them, to people giving them one star reviews because they don't agree with their real or perceived politics.

On top of that, unless you've compared a lot of a reviewers recommendations with things you like, there's no way of knowing how close your taste is to theirs. Heck, I've actually found bad reviews from a reviewer I know hates everything I like the most useful.

Mutive

Blissfully Clueless
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Mutive, as a customer I would tend to put more weight on this type of review myself but I think that's largely because of an "in the industry" perspective and I think that this type of review doesn't tend to be as gamed (might be wrong). What regular customers think I don't know!

Yeah, maybe. IDK. I see a LOT of indie/self-pub reviews where the author sends out a ton of ARC and gets only glowing reviews (as I guess no one wants to be mean to an indie/self-pub? Unsure.) Those aren't particularly meaningful to me.

Certainly if it was a reviewer I trusted, I'd take notice. But as a really lazy reader, I don't keep much track of reviewers. Instead I focus a lot on the content. (Which mostly involves cues that the reviewer read the book and is willing to speak both positively and negatively about it.)

With that said, this is one opinion.

SentaHolland

'Out of the Shadows' HarperCollins
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sentaholland.wordpress.com
I've had good and bad reviews from people who read a free review copy - I don't think there is much difference to the reviews I got from people who bought the book. I don't know any of them, if that is what you are worried about. The worst reviews were from a 'free' period that my publisher offered (but so were one or two of the best ones...)

nkkingston

Bemused Girl
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.solelyfictional.org
I think Amazon are hoping people will place more weight on purchases - that's why they have that little verified purchase thing - but I suspect most people glance at the star rating distribution and skim the first few. Whether it was bought there, or whether it was an ARC, isn't going to factor into most people's shopping habits.

Arpeggio

Registered
Reaction score
The free copy line is a legal requirement - if you review a product you are required to reveal if you were given the book to review.

Interestingly, on various books, I have noticed that many reviewers don’t mention this when I know it to be the case. Perhaps they forget or think they are doing a favour. I would have thought that including the disclosure would put more weight into the review than it simply being non-verified purchase review.

Sadly, a reviewer's integrity can't be taken for granted. So you really can't be naive with reviews. A portion will be fraudulent.

I know, it’s sad but true. My idea was some kind of trust network reaching into the “6 degrees of separation” (if that theory is true) as much as possible.

On top of that, unless you've compared a lot of a reviewers recommendations with things you like, there's no way of knowing how close your taste is to theirs. Heck, I've actually found bad reviews from a reviewer I know hates everything I like the most useful.

Quite true. At least a professional reviewer would say who the book is good for and not good for.

The worst reviews were from a 'free' period that my publisher offered (but so were one or two of the best ones...)

I guess that kind of thing is more likely to happen with a “free for all”. When I used a “free in exchange for honest review” service I got a competing author who was using the same service in the same category give a negative review, vague with no reasoning or explanation. Still don’t know whether to do anything about it as over all I got more good than bad.

I checked your book. I think the subject matter of BDSM is always going to get polarized views.

I think Amazon are hoping people will place more weight on purchases - that's why they have that little verified purchase thing - but I suspect most people glance at the star rating distribution and skim the first few. Whether it was bought there, or whether it was an ARC, isn't going to factor into most people's shopping habits.

Interesting thanks. You're not the first I’ve seen saying that customers don’t seem to have that much discretion. I suppose it fits in with the whole convenience ethos (which is Amazons mission). If you have anything to expand on that I’d be interested.

I think Amazon brought the “verified purchase” out at a time of controversy and publicity (disappointingly, I feel that it’s an extra tool for the fakers to make it look like their reviews are genuine). I might wonder why Amazon didn’t do this in the first place anyway?

Here’s something hypothetical to ponder in terms of incentive by the retailer:

2 different retail sites of different names are otherwise exactly the same for products, prices, delivery times and level of customer service. One’s entire products has an average of 3.5 stars, the other has 4 stars.

Which one makes the most money?

The reason I’m asking is because customers don’t post reviews anywhere near as often as the internet makes it look like they do. Free copies in exchange for reviews are at least one thing that an author can actually do something about.

Last edited:

meowzbark

Registered
Reaction score
How much weight does "I received a free copy in exchange for an honest review" have on Amazon?

I'm not sure how much weight it carries, but this is a disclaimer required by the FTC. If a reviewer does not post a disclaimer, then it is assumed that the reviewer acquired the book from a source other than the publisher/author. Reviews with this tag may be more reliable + honest, if only because the majority of the people that use the disclaimer write a lot of honest and reliable reviews.

Plus, Amazon encourages full disclosure: Source

Full disclosure: If you received a free product in exchange for your review, please clearly and conspicuously disclose that that you received the product free of charge. Reviews from the Amazon Vine™ program are already labeled, so additional disclosure is not necessary.

Arpeggio

Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure how much weight it carries, but this is a disclaimer required by the FTC. If a reviewer does not post a disclaimer, then it is assumed that the reviewer acquired the book from a source other than the publisher/author. Reviews with this tag may be more reliable + honest, if only because the majority of the people that use the disclaimer write a lot of honest and reliable reviews.

Thanks I know the FTC requirements. Interesting / good to know you find them reliable, I find this too.

Plus, Amazon encourages full disclosure: Source

Amazon has no legal responsibility for this (or any other website for that matter).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Section_230_of_the_Communications_Decency_Act

https://blumenthals.com/blog/2011/03/30/why-sec-230-of-the-communications-decency-act-needs-amending/

quote: "The courts have also determined that these internet providers are not required to pull down this material placed from their sites even after the material has been proven in a court of law to be illegal".

Last edited:

HFgal

Who wants a cup of tea?
Registered
Reaction score
I have long been in the habit of checking with GoodReads before I even check a book out of the library, so I see plenty of reviews that being with the disclaimer that the reviewer received a free copy - it never factors into my decision. If anything, I have found that those reviewers are more thoughtful and comprehensive than the average reviewer - it seems like they feel some obligation to be thorough and honest. I have seen some on Amazon too, and I felt the same way when reading the content of those reviews.

And honestly - anyone who really just wants to read books for free can go to any public library, so I don't think that's why people endeavor to get these free copies.

I don't know if this reflects well on me or not, but I did win a copy of a book from a GoodReads giveaway - and I thought it was pretty bad, maybe 2 stars out of 5, so I didn't end up posting a review.

Ann_Mayburn

Smutty McTitters
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annmayburn.com
For the average customer I don't think it really matters to them if it's a verified purchase or not. They look at reviews for personal reasons that are as varied as stars in the sky and what they take from those reviews and how they read them are based on how they view the world through their rose colored glasses. But that's just a personal opinion.

PS- I've found that my books will get an uptick in sales once I hit that 100 reviews mark(maybe it hits an Amazon algorithm for 'if you read xxx you might like xxx).

PSS- Most reviewers that I've dealt with will only pick books that they are predisposed to like, they want to read something in a genre/trope that they like so the chances for a good review are higher than say a reviewer that picks books at random.

HFgal

Who wants a cup of tea?
Registered
Reaction score
Ann - good point in you PPS - when I've entered Giveaways at GoodReads, I'm only picking ones that have some element that appeals to me.

Also, as a reader of reviews trying to decide if I want to read/buy this book, I judge the review and the reviewer less on their number of assigned stars and more on WHY they liked or didn't like the book. Also, if the review is well written, I'm giving that more weight than one that is not. And I have found that reviewers that have received a free book write reviews that are, more often than not, well written.

Final random note: GoodReads has a cool little graphic - a sideways bar graph with 5 bars showing the distribution of reviews. I use that in my decision making, too.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score

It's not tit for tat - giving out free copies to reviewers has been industry standard for a long time, and some reviewers do cross post their reviews to Amazon these days. I've taken free copies in exchange for a review myself, and given them out. It's completely normal behavior in the industry.

With the internet, there are now quite a lot of amateurs who reduce the cost of their book habit by offering reviews in exchange for free copies, but it's still considered acceptable.

(Taking MONEY for a review is, however, frowned upon).

Where is that a legal requirement? Is that Amazon only? None of the reviewers I know do this, and I never have, either. I used to get flooded with free copies, none of which I asked for. I always got paid for reviews, too, just not by the writer.

I know nothing about Amazon reviews except that you couldn't pay me to read one.

nkkingston

Bemused Girl
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.solelyfictional.org
Where is that a legal requirement? Is that Amazon only? None of the reviewers I know do this, and I never have, either. I used to get flooded with free copies, none of which I asked for. I always got paid for reviews, too, just not by the writer.

I know nothing about Amazon reviews except that you couldn't pay me to read one.

IANAL, but the FTC included it in their revised guidelines in 2009 in order to clarify how the law applied to bloggers and social media mentions of products. It applies to all reviewers based in the US, I think, or with sites hosted in the US*. It covers free copies, financial incentives, personal relations, and so on - everything that may constitute a commercial relationship between producer and reviewer. I'm really surprised it's not something you've come across in the five years since it came in - there was wide discussion when the revision were announced and I can't think of a single review blog I follow that doesn't include FTC disclaimers.

*I'm never quite clear to what extent laws like that distinguish, but it's always best to toe the line in every relevant country.

Arpeggio

Registered
Reaction score
For the average customer I don't think it really matters to them if it's a verified purchase or not. They look at reviews for personal reasons that are as varied as stars in the sky and what they take from those reviews and how they read them are based on how they view the world through their rose colored glasses. But that's just a personal opinion.

Thanks for your view. I was concerned, as it seems the only way I’m going to get reviews is like this knowing that statistically customers rarely post them (unless you sell loads), and that the reason Amazon brought in the verified purchase status in the first place was due to problems with non-purchase verified reviews.

I have found that reviewers that have received a free book write reviews that are, more often than not, well written.

Perhaps the difference is that someone who accepts free books has to have an interest in reading and reviewing them. I can’t see what else there is in it for them for such a relatively labour intensive process, after all you can’t eat a book like an Ice cream and they aren’t chocolate flavoured.

I had a go at one of the “free copy in exchange for review” websites (for an author I format for) and the results were overall good.

I find customer reviews are actually quite short, at a sentence or 2. The way I see it is to compare childhood in which you’ve had a wonderful summer holiday and it’s your first day back in school. The teacher says you have to write an essay on your holiday and what you liked about it….the whole class groans. The difference for adults reviewing is that nobody is telling them to and they don’t have to.