Teens Writing for Teens, the 5th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Allaboutwords13

You Snooze, You Lose!
Registered
Reaction score
I hate those short story contests that want 500 words or less. Grr they are evil. Mines 1200words and there's no way i can narrow it down so much. It's so annoying!

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
No i didnt do background check... mainly because it came from a short story website that listed all the national contests. It was free so really it doesnt matter. It's not like i was planning on publishing it anyway. It was something i did for an english assignment lol i was just like "ah why not?"

Free-to-enter competitions can still be scams aimed at taking your money. There's a famous scam involving short-story competitions where everybody who enters "wins" and is then encouraged to buy the book in which their "winner" is published. The publisher makes a massive profit from each copy.

Allaboutwords13

You Snooze, You Lose!
Registered
Reaction score
oh i don't think i'm that stupid. If i got asked to do that, i'd say no. I'm more of a take it or leave it person :) Oooh but i reached my 50,000 word mark :) yay!

Allaboutwords13

You Snooze, You Lose!
Registered
Reaction score
yeaaah. I was keeping track for ages and i finally made it! Now i seemed to have come to a halt... oh dear. Not finished yet!

Horserider

Ever onward
Registered
Reaction score
Free-to-enter competitions can still be scams aimed at taking your money. There's a famous scam involving short-story competitions where everybody who enters "wins" and is then encouraged to buy the book in which their "winner" is published. The publisher makes a massive profit from each copy.

Happened to me with a poetry contest that my English teacher made me enter (we had to enter two contests that year for a grade). I didn't buy the book, but I didn't find out it was a scam until a few months after I "won."

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
You don't have to be "stupid" to fall for it. It all seems very reasonable unless you really understand publishing. Schools encourage their eleven-year-old pupils to enter - I was one of them. Scammers are very skilled at playing on people's hopes and dreams.

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
Happened to me with a poetry contest that my English teacher made me enter (we had to enter two contests that year for a grade). I didn't buy the book, but I didn't find out it was a scam until a few months after I "won."

Yes, exactly. The schools think it's a legitimate competition, so they sign up their pupils, who have no reason to question it. Plenty of adults get taken as well.

Allaboutwords13

You Snooze, You Lose!
Registered
Reaction score
Yeesh, that sucks! I hate scams. I'm always weary of phone calls from "phone companies" when really it's a third party and there's a huge catch.Or even websites that want you to sign up and then you get nothing out of them.
Sorry, didn't mean to offend anyone.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
I hate scams.

Also, I finished Half Blood Prince!

Time for Dealthy Hallows, which I first read in a stuporific haze. I was at this writing camp for young adult authors.

The schedule went like this

6AM-6PM: Write
???: Sleep(?)

Then they threw the Deathly Hallows in there at the same freaking time. It was insane.

Allaboutwords13

You Snooze, You Lose!
Registered
Reaction score
hahah it's been years since i last read deathly hallows. i keep meaning to re-read it but with all the books i have to read, that's seeming a long time.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
I remember...NOTHING.

ABSOLUTELY NOTHING about that book.

...well, beyond ALL MY FAVORITE CHARACTERS DYING

sobsobsobsob

Allaboutwords13

You Snooze, You Lose!
Registered
Reaction score
i know. That sucked. And then they went and ruined the film. I wanna read the book again so i can remember how it was meant to be!

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
But today, I'm going to be running my Rogue Trader game.

I have slightly overhooked myself in the Roleplaying games.

I game-master Rogue Trader on Monday

I game-master a Pathfinder game on Wednesday

I game-master a Mutants and Masterminds game on Friday

Then I game-master ANOTHER Pathfinder game on Sunday!

Allaboutwords13

You Snooze, You Lose!
Registered
Reaction score
But today, I'm going to be running my Rogue Trader game.

I have slightly overhooked myself in the Roleplaying games.

I game-master Rogue Trader on Monday

I game-master a Pathfinder game on Wednesday

I game-master a Mutants and Masterminds game on Friday

Then I game-master ANOTHER Pathfinder game on Sunday!

Quick question.... *ehem*.... WTF?! lolz

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
You know Dungeons and Dragons?

Well, D&D is just one of MANY MANY different styles of roleplaying games. I'm the game-master (the combination referee, storyteller and so on) that handles multiple games each week, each one runs between 4 to 9 hours.

amlptj

Speling & grammer murderer, Sorrie!
Registered
Reaction score
that's alot of games!

I just got into playing CoD zombies because of my boyfriend i still suck at it though. I have no hand controller coordination.

Allaboutwords13

You Snooze, You Lose!
Registered
Reaction score
I have heard of it but i have no idea what its about and to be fair, i can't understand how someone can spend so much time on it. I know someone who's always playing World Of Warcraft. I tried it and got so confused and annoyed i was ready to throw my laptop out of the window. I used to love those kind of games... i guess i've just outgrown them. Not fair :(

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
Fortunately, I have premade adventures for two of them. They require less work, as most of the hard stuff (creating the characters and plot, for example) are done for you.

In Rogue Trader, I'm using the adventure THE FROZEN REACHES

ffgrt06.jpg

In which our heroes - the dashing and handsome Rogue Traders - are called on to defend a distant planet from an invasion of foul space orks. But they arrive to find a planet in turmoil, with the people in power a mixture of incompetent, unwilling to assist one another, or too busy trying to assure their own profits.

Can our heroes rally them into an effective fighting force, or will the planet fall to the hoards of vicious greenskins?

MEANWHILE

On Sunday, the premade adventure is the HOOK MOUNTAIN MASSACRE!

Pathfinder_3,_The_Hook_Mountain_Massacre.jpeg

I have three words for you

Inbred

Hillbilly

Ogres.

It's like The Hills Have Eyes meets Lord of the Ring!

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
same thing happened to me... whe i was say 12-16 i played Kingdom Hearts like it was my freaking job. Now three Kindom Hearts games have come out and I havent even touched them. Partly because I dont have the time and partly because any free time i do have i'd rather spend writing.

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
I have three words for you

Inbred

Hillbilly

Ogres.

It's like The Hills Have Eyes meets Lord of the Ring!

Now this one sounds fun... My whole 6th book was about inbred, murderious, evil, discusting, deformed, hillbillies bent on killing all the kidnapped guys and marrying/raping all the kidnapped girls

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
Well, the overarching adventure (see how the cover says 'Rise of the Runelords' over the title?) is about the evil Runelord Kurzog, who once ruled part of Thassilon, a sprawling empire based around the control of the seven deadly sins.

He was the Runelord of Wrath, but now that he has reawoken after a 10,000 years slumber, he has begun to move. His agents lurk in various places, marking people with a certain rune, so that their souls - which are usually extremely wrathful, greedy, lusty, envious, slothful, gluttonous, or prideful - can be channeled into ancient reservoirs of power called Runewells.

Our heroes began their adventure by thwarting an attempt to burn their hometown to the ground (wrath), broken up a collection of serial killers who murdered merchants, gamblers and so on (greed) and now they have traveled out to distant Fort Rannic, which guards Turtleback Ferry...which - they are unaware - has recently been marked for destruction, 210 of it's inhabitants marked for being particularly lustful...

They have to rescue the fort from attack by horrific mutant ogres, stop a coven of evil sorcerers from flooding the Ferry, drive back an ancient monster living in the lake AND put the tormented ghost of a nyphm to peace.

All before an ARMY OF GIANTS INVADE!

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
wow way to complicated for me to ever be able to follow. You got some brain power and a half to follow that and how ever many your the game-master of.

Status
Not open for further replies.