The Novel Challenge Hub

eternalised

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
majankaverstraete.com
I currently have three WIPs I'm working on.

- Soul Thief (YA Paranormal Romance). Current Status: 65k/80k and rewriting first 65k.
- The Sleeping Kingdom (YA Fantasy/Fairytales). Current Status: 50k/80k, first draft.
- Ghostslayer (YA thriller/urban fantasy/involves ghosts). Current Status: 20k/80k, first draft.

My goals for this month were to write 20k in the Ghostslayer manuscript (done), finish writing The Sleeping Kingdom manuscript (I started at 30k at the start of this month, and am now at 50k), and finish Soul Thief. So, looks like I still have a lot of work to do. :)

soapdish

writing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have been avoiding this thread because I fell so far behind this week. :eek: Lost days to tweaking my outline and research.

But--I caught up today! I didn't think it possible.
At about 41,500 now. :snoopy:

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (Literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Good work, soapdish!

I've been in a similar boat, working on a chapter and writing myself into a corner and starting over again. I think it's on track now, hopefully.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Isilya

Rogues, thieves, and knaves abound
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Earlier this week Something possessed me and I announced to a few friends and family members that I was planning to submit a novel by year's end.

I came to my senses the next day and nearly died of panic. (slight exaggeration)

Since then I've received several enthusiastic emails from people but now I'm kinda freaked. Its a lot of pressure.

I have one piece that's in revision, one on hold, and two I'm just beginning to draft.

Guess I'd better get editing...

Anyone ever done this?

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Earlier this week Something possessed me and I announced to a few friends and family members that I was planning to submit a novel by year's end.

I came to my senses the next day and nearly died of panic. (slight exaggeration)

Since then I've received several enthusiastic emails from people but now I'm kinda freaked. Its a lot of pressure.

I have one piece that's in revision, one on hold, and two I'm just beginning to draft.

Anyone ever done this?

If you've got one in the revision stage, that's not such a long shot.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

sky warrior books

Redneck Ninja and Curmudgeon
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.skywarriorbooks.com
Got a very nice response from my beta that I'm a crazy soul who needs Jesus.

:ROFL::roll: OMG--too funny! And congrats on getting things done!

My goals for this month were to write 20k in the Ghostslayer manuscript (done), finish writing The Sleeping Kingdom manuscript (I started at 30k at the start of this month, and am now at 50k), and finish Soul Thief. So, looks like I still have a lot of work to do. :)

Lots of work, yeah, but you're doing great!

I am working on a query that is full of fail... but I have a direction. I just need to get it more focused...

Focus is tough. Are you doing an (GULP) outline too? I hate those. Hang in there!

I have been avoiding this thread because I fell so far behind this week. :eek: Lost days to tweaking my outline and research.

But--I caught up today! I didn't think it possible.
At about 41,500 now. :snoopy:

Congrats! It's motivating you!

I've been in a similar boat, working on a chapter and writing myself into a corner and starting over again. I think it's on track now, hopefully.

That's tough, Siri. Hang in there!

Anyone ever done this?

Yup. Been there; done that. Ignore the pressure and just work on the book. it will happen.

sky warrior books

Redneck Ninja and Curmudgeon
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.skywarriorbooks.com
Okay, I'm pretty sure I lost it, assuming I ever had it. :crazy:

I got up enough nerve to inform a publisher (after almost two years of having the novel) that if I don't hear a response by mid-April, I'm pulling the book and publishing it myself. I've had several email conversations with this publisher, and now I've put the book in my own company's lineup, expecting a rejection anyway. The book is damn good, but needs tweaking. I've already had one of my editors go through it. :Hammer: Several people including other writers who are friends and my own husband have asked me why I've been sticking this out. :Shrug: I honestly don't know. Probably because I would like the bigger distribution. But really? Seriously? I think holding onto my rights makes infinite sense.

Got one of the e-books out for SWBs and working on formatting another one. Got most of one chapter done on the nonfiction side (1500 words). Then, Yahoo Voices sent me an email saying I would no longer be a featured writer with them if I didn't get something written. 800 words and 2 articles later, I should be in their good graces again.

My husband asked "How far are you with the nonfiction book?" I told him and he said, "Only that far? I'm done with chapter 4." :e2slap:

Got a notice from Duotrope that SWBs is now listed with them. Huh? :Wha: That wasn't my doing. I've listed with Ralan in the past for the anthos, but not Duotrope for the publishing house. Not surprisingly, I'm getting queries. :eek:

My fiction is languishing. I need to work on Daemons and Shadows now that I have my main character's motivation and conflict. I also found out that I have to hand input royalties because of a database glitch. :Hammer:

Sigh.

Somebody clone me.

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Oh, my, Sky Warrior, I'm constantly amazed how many hats you wear! All blessings for getting everything sorted out!

Oh, and the chapter that was fighting me and had me locked in a corner has now made peace and is letting me write it. I expect to complete it this weekend.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Sarah G

Let me live that fantasy.
Registered
Reaction score
^^Good luck to the both of you:)

My first book is finally edited and with a query, though it needs sorting out:)

And, I'm finally writing again, thank god:) editing is rubbish. In the past two days I have managed to get 3, 456 words done:hooray:Most I have wrote all month. Oh, I don't know what I was thinking yesterday, but i signed up for the June NaNo :scared:

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

And, I'm finally writing again, thank god:) editing is rubbish. In the past two days I have managed to get 3, 456 words done:hooray:Most I have wrote all month. Oh, I don't know what I was thinking yesterday, but i signed up for the June NaNo :scared:

Congrats on the progress!

Good luck with the NaNo!

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Kitty27

So Goth That I Was Born Black
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, I'm pretty sure I lost it, assuming I ever had it. :crazy:

I got up enough nerve to inform a publisher (after almost two years of having the novel) that if I don't hear a response by mid-April, I'm pulling the book and publishing it myself. I've had several email conversations with this publisher, and now I've put the book in my own company's lineup, expecting a rejection anyway. The book is damn good, but needs tweaking. I've already had one of my editors go through it. :Hammer: Several people including other writers who are friends and my own husband have asked me why I've been sticking this out. :Shrug: I honestly don't know. Probably because I would like the bigger distribution. But really? Seriously? I think holding onto my rights makes infinite sense.

Got one of the e-books out for SWBs and working on formatting another one. Got most of one chapter done on the nonfiction side (1500 words). Then, Yahoo Voices sent me an email saying I would no longer be a featured writer with them if I didn't get something written. 800 words and 2 articles later, I should be in their good graces again.

My husband asked "How far are you with the nonfiction book?" I told him and he said, "Only that far? I'm done with chapter 4." :e2slap:

Got a notice from Duotrope that SWBs is now listed with them. Huh? :Wha: That wasn't my doing. I've listed with Ralan in the past for the anthos, but not Duotrope for the publishing house. Not surprisingly, I'm getting queries. :eek:

My fiction is languishing. I need to work on Daemons and Shadows now that I have my main character's motivation and conflict. I also found out that I have to hand input royalties because of a database glitch. :Hammer:

Sigh.

Somebody clone me.

If you get a clone,you might take over the world! I am amazed at all you are doing! Bravo!

Oh, my, Sky Warrior, I'm constantly amazed how many hats you wear! All blessings for getting everything sorted out!

Oh, and the chapter that was fighting me and had me locked in a corner has now made peace and is letting me write it. I expect to complete it this weekend.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Congratulations!

All right,then! Burn that keyboard up!

eternalised

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
majankaverstraete.com
It's CampNaNo actually. Here's the link.

I've finished my The Sleeping Kingdom MS. PHEW. Alright, so I finished the first draft, but I think this earns me the right to sit back and relax and say 'phew!' for a while.

I started out this month with a bunch of goals.

- Finish The Sleeping Kingdom MS. Completed.
- Finish Soul Thief MS. 65k/80k words.
- Write 20k in Ghostslayer MS. Completed.
- Finish writing paranormal mystery novella. 3k/30k words.

I also wanted to write two short stories, but I fear that won't fit in my current schedule. Blah. seems like I still need to write about 30k+ words to finish my monthly goals. I'm way too ambitious! But I did well this month, and I'm happy.

Sarah G

Registered
Reaction score
Haven't got any wrote today, but managed to climb up to almost 5,000 yesterday:) I hate first drafts though, I always want to delete everything:Shrug:Hoping to write some more later today, out first thing.

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Haven't got any wrote today, but managed to climb up to almost 5,000 yesterday:) I hate first drafts though, I always want to delete everything:Shrug:Hoping to write some more later today, out first thing.

I often have good and bad writing days alternate. Only my good days are 500 words, not 5000.

I think the problem with first drafts is why I usually enjoy revising. "Oh, look," I think, "That's what I meant to say!"

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Sarah G

Registered
Reaction score

I often have good and bad writing days alternate. Only my good days are 500 words, not 5000.

I think the problem with first drafts is why I usually enjoy revising. "Oh, look," I think, "That's what I meant to say!"

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

I have the same, but when I have a bad days I don't write anything at all:) I think it's cause my first drafts are always rubbish so, i just want to delete it:) Wrote some more today though. Now up to about 8,000. slowly getting there. hoping to have this done by first of June though seeing as how i signed up for camp NaNo and all

AndreaGS

Registered
Reaction score
Website
andreagstewart.com
Hey all! Hi Sarah, good to see you around! :hi:

I joined the challenge last week, so I'm going to jump in. I'm putting the finishing touches on my novel Lestoor's Chosen tonight and sending it out. Someone saw my query in QLH and requested the full, so I'm excited and nervous. I told them it would be ready in a month, and it's been a month. Ok, I'm more nervous than anything. Still gathering the courage to actually do it.

As soon as I finish that, I can get back to the rough draft of my next book! I'm at 66K/90K on that one.

eternalised - big CONGRATS on finishing your manuscript!! :partyguy:

soapdish

writing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Good work, everyone!

I'm behind by about 2k, but slowly catching up. I lost over a week's progress due to the flu. :(

Sarah G

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Andrea:hi:you too! and good luck on the Query:)

I wrote a bit today:) and managed to climb up to 10,300:hooray:Woot for double figures. I always feel better when I have hit double figures:D and so far, i'm sticking to my chapter outlines:)

and soapdish sorry to hear about the flu, hope you're better soon. Would hugs help:Hug2: