Marketing Ideas

Whimsical Writing

Finally, I self-pubbed!
Registered
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I self-pubbed my paranormal romance book on 9/1. I noticed a peak on the days it came out at different retailers, but sales dwindle thereafter (probably because it's not on the home page anymore). Each day, only a handful are bought. I'm really not complaining about that because I'm just happy that it was found at all, and then purchased. I have been thinking about how to market my book. Here are some of my ideas. I would love your input and any other ideas you may have.

* Going to contact some reviewers and authors (I'm scared and biting my nails to do this!)

* Thinking of running a Facebook ad

I was thinking about whether I made a mistake going through smashwords (I'm on Amazon too, just not Select), and perhaps I should've taken advantage of Kindle Select. I guess I'll never know what kind of response I would have had, had I gone that route.

Thanks in advance for the advice and wisdom...I'm always appreciative!

Celeste Carrara

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.celestecarrara.com
Do you have a website, blog and are you on social media? Those things help get your name out there but don't always translate into sales. But they are still worth having.

Also, put a link to your book in your signature here.

I have tried all sorts of things to market my books. By far, Goodreads has worked best for me. Get your book on there. Join groups in your genre. Talk to readers, participate in the groups and offer your book for free in exchange for an honest review. If you have a paperback version of your book, do a Goodreads giveaway. That'll help give you exposure and get people to put your book on their "to read" shelf.

Blogs... I couldn't find more than one or two on my own that would review my book. And I contacted just about every romance blog out there! They all were too busy with a huge pile of books to review and weren't taking anymore. There is a way around that. I used Goddess Fish Promotions and they scheduled a blog tour for me & that's how I got more reviews and more sales too. I've done book blasts as well and have had good sales from that too. It was inexpensive and well worth it to hire a tour company to handle the book blog tour for me.

From what I've been told, Facebook ads don't work well. What I did have luck with regarding Facebook was hiring the page "What To Read After 50 Shades Of Grey" to highlight my book. It was only for a day and I got a tone of sales from it and sales picked up on my other titles too.

The more places your book is the better, so I don't think it was a mistake not to do select. However, if after awhile sales slow down, you can always try select. That's what I'm doing with one of my titles now.

I've also been lucky with other authors with book blogs who have spotlighted my book and done interviews with me. These were authors I met here and on Goodreads.

But, the best way to gain more readers and in turn sell more books... write another book! When I first started everyone told me that and I kind of didn't believe them. Then I wrote my 2nd book ;) Now I have 7 available and each time I have a new release, sales of my other titles pick up.

Good Luck! Marketing is tough and you need to find a balance between time spent doing that and writing your next book.

Whimsical Writing

Finally, I self-pubbed!
Registered
Reaction score
Celeste, WOW (!), thanks so much!!! :Hug2: Those are fabulous ideas!

I am on Twitter, Facebook, Goodreads, and I have my own site. Check, check, check. I don't think I'm using Goodreads to its full potential, though! :hooray:

What is a blog tour? I've seen that term here and there. I only have eBooks, not printed.

I'm excited to tackle your ideas! Thanks! :snoopy:

(I love these emoticons!)

Celeste Carrara

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.celestecarrara.com
Celeste, WOW (!), thanks so much!!! :Hug2: Those are fabulous ideas!

I am on Twitter, Facebook, Goodreads, and I have my own site. Check, check, check. I don't think I'm using Goodreads to its full potential, though! :hooray:

What is a blog tour? I've seen that term here and there. I only have eBooks, not printed.

I'm excited to tackle your ideas! Thanks! :snoopy:

(I love these emoticons!)

You're very welcome!

You don't need printed copies of your book for a blog tour. You or a tour company schedule "stops" on genre specific blogs. The amount of blogs you go to and length of the tour depend on how many you can book on your own or how many sign up for it with the touring company. When I did mine for my PNR I used Goddess Fish & did their standard virtual book tour. It was for one week and 6 different blogs. I did interviews, and/or guest posts. Some of the blogs did reviews, but they aren't required to. They all put up your bio, cover, blurb, buy links, website, social media links and you can also do a contest connected with it. I believe I offered a $15 Amazon gift card to one lucky winner. All they had to do was comment on one or all of my blog stops to enter. It was a lot of fun, but I haven't done another since because it was time consuming for that one week. I've found the Book Blast Tour to be better for me. It's one day at 25 blogs and they highlight your book for the day with the cover, blurb, excerpt, author bio, buy links, and website link.

Here is a link to their site incase you are interested:
http://www.goddessfish.com/tours.htm

Other tour companies I have heard about are:
http://www.itchingforbooks.com/p/services_8.html
http://imrblogtours.com/services
http://www.iobooktours.com/pricing.html

*these are ones I found while researching awhile back. I haven't used them. Research them before picking one. I can only vouch for Goddess Fish & they are excellent.

Oh, and I love the emoticons too! lol

What's the name of your book and links to your social media? I'll follow you & "like" your FB page.

Last edited:

NicaCurt

Registered
Reaction score
This is a great thread. I'm learning from it just like you are Whimsical Writing. :D

LadyDae

New AW user. Veteran Writer 8+
Registered
Reaction score
Website
hollydae.com
I've signed up for a blog tour at Itching for Books. I've heard wonderful things about them and read great testimonies. And Shane Morgan (she runs Itching for Books) is great. She makes the banners and gets people to sign up and everything. It's literally no hassle to the writer. Just pay, sit back, relax, and watch Shane work her magic.

Whimsical Writing

Finally, I self-pubbed!
Registered
Reaction score
Really, really good information, everyone! Thank you!

Old Hack- sorry! I feel like "Self-Publishing: Print, Digital, Papyrus or Clay" is my home! I know no other forums...:roll: I'll try to find a forum that better fits my posts next time... :cry: ;)

Celeste, I updated my signature line here and added my eBook cover. The cover/avatar photo is so small, it doesn't do it justice. I've read on here that for it to get bigger, you must have more than 50 posts. :) Thanks for the offer to follow and "like" me! I will do the same. It would be nice to remain in contact.

Celeste Carrara

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.celestecarrara.com
Really, really good information, everyone! Thank you!

Old Hack- sorry! I feel like "Self-Publishing: Print, Digital, Papyrus or Clay" is my home! I know no other forums...:roll: I'll try to find a forum that better fits my posts next time... :cry: ;)

Celeste, I updated my signature line here and added my eBook cover. The cover/avatar photo is so small, it doesn't do it justice. I've read on here that for it to get bigger, you must have more than 50 posts. :) Thanks for the offer to follow and "like" me! I will do the same. It would be nice to remain in contact.

Great! I liked your FB page, followed you on Twitter, requested you on GR, and added your book on GR to my "to read" list!!

Love the cover too!! It looks like my kind of book ;)

Whimsical Writing

Finally, I self-pubbed!
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the compliment on the book cover. I designed it myself. I learned how to use photoshop elements and went nuts. I also designed the logo for the series and glyphs for the book/series. �� I followed you as well! Would love to read your books, too! They sound super interesting.

Celeste Carrara

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.celestecarrara.com
Thanks for the compliment on the book cover. I designed it myself. I learned how to use photoshop elements and went nuts. I also designed the logo for the series and glyphs for the book/series. �� I followed you as well! Would love to read your books, too! They sound super interesting.

I just sent you a PM :)

Whimsical Writing

Finally, I self-pubbed!
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, fostinwd! Hadn't considered email marketing. I'm concerned it would annoy people. (?)