Rejectomancy

Datepalm

Registered
Reaction score
1 day R from 3&5 as well - I think their standard form is just an unusually nice standard form. Noobz. :tongue

V1c

Hmmmmm
Registered
Reaction score
yeah to cool personal, but boo to all the Rs, sigh.

I got five subs out, all in the red. Which means it's time to get more subs out.

Project Deadlight

Registered
Reaction score
BTW, how long was your Stupefying story out, if you don't mind me asking?

No probs - 83 days. I did query a week ago though. I just read that SS R again and it just gets better. He was reading it for the final time as he was writing the email. Doesn't get more personal than that!

Sai

Book lover/Spy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kuri-ousity.com
No probs - 83 days. I did query a week ago though. I just read that SS R again and it just gets better. He was reading it for the final time as he was writing the email. Doesn't get more personal than that!

Cool, thanks. I have a story still out with them, so I'm keeping tabs on their responses.

mrajotte

Inkslinging Insomniac
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.maryrajotte.com
25-day R from Arcane. Was already considering expanding this story into a novella (like I don't have enough work on my plate)...will ponder that for a while.

JS Emuakpor

I lurk. Therefore, I am.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
afrocentricbooks.com
I got one that reads like this:
Thank you for sending us your query. We appreciate the opportunity to consider your work. Unfortunately, after careful consideration we have decided to decline this submission because the story is not what we are looking for at this time. However, we found that your writing has potential and we would be interested in seeing other work from you in the future. Good luck!
I'm sad... :(

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
I got one that reads like this:
I'm sad... :(

Yeah. That's a form. I always take a comment of "We look forward to seeing more" at face value, even in a form response. No reason to think they don't mean that.

Don't get discouraged. A rejection just means there's a better market waiting for that story/novel. :)

mhaynes

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaelhaynes.info
25-day R from Arcane. Was already considering expanding this story into a novella (like I don't have enough work on my plate)...will ponder that for a while.

Do you happen to remember how stories were submitted to Arcane? I've got one at almost 3 months but I'm paranoid that I didn't actually, you know, submit it since I don't see anything in my email folders. But I also can't recall if it was an email thing or a web form or what. :(

Dang... I just got a personal R from Strange Horizons... That's good right?

That's very good!

And, related to my own Rejectomancy, 10 day 2nd-round rejection today from Plasma Frequency.

JS Emuakpor

I lurk. Therefore, I am.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
afrocentricbooks.com
Don't get discouraged. A rejection just means there's a better market waiting for that story/novel. :)
Thanks, Aggy. I try not to get discouraged, but it is somewhat disheartening.

Truth is, I'm writing for a niche market. I have to find a publisher who is willing to take a chance on that market, whose audience is probably much larger than the publishing Powers that Be realize.

mrajotte

Inkslinging Insomniac
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.maryrajotte.com
Do you happen to remember how stories were submitted to Arcane? I've got one at almost 3 months but I'm paranoid that I didn't actually, you know, submit it since I don't see anything in my email folders. But I also can't recall if it was an email thing or a web form or what. :(
I believe it was via web form

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
Oooh... I hope that's right! There was a comment on their site which mentioned that they don't send confirmations of story receipts so maybe no emails really *is* middling-good news...
There was a box you could check mark that'd submit to you your own submission--odd, no? But I used that as a receipt.

29-day R from Buzzy. At least it wasn't too terribly long a wait.

Eliza C

We’ll see what happens from here…
Registered
Reaction score
66-day R from Glimmer Train.

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
19 days from Clockwork Phoenix. The story wasn't a right fit stylistically. Gotta get a better grip on what they might be looking for.

Eliza C

We’ll see what happens from here…
Registered
Reaction score
19 days from Clockwork Phoenix. The story wasn't a right fit stylistically. Gotta get a better grip on what they might be looking for.

Interesting you both got R's already -- I thought his guidelines said no responses until after subs closed, but I may be misremembering. I have a story that just came back that I was thinking of for that market.

(Oh, I guess it says no early acceptances will be handed out.)

Last edited:

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
Interesting you both got R's already
I know, it's a relief! I just came off of a 100+ form R from the Deep Cuts antho and wasn't looking forward to another long haul.

Last edited:

V1c

Hmmmmm
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry to hear all the Rs - as always, waiting for mine- I think my crickets have crickets (or at least are playing cricket) at this point.

akaSylvia

Doesn't Bite
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.intrigue.co.uk
20-day personal reject from Strange Horizons. One of the points mentioned is a change I made at the last minute... looks like I need to file the edges off!