Rejectomancy

Niccolo

Registered
Reaction score
Got my form R from LORE today. It was for one of the first short stories I've ever written, and it's starting to look like this one needs to be trunked. You've had a good life friend, I'll try to keep the dust off of you. *sniff*

On the plus side, I finally got my avatar up.

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
Got my form R from L0RE today.
A whole career can pass between subbing and receiving a response from L0re. It's a milestone of its own!
... it's starting to look like this one needs to be trunked. You've had a good life friend, I'll try to keep the dust off of you. *sniff*
It's a sad day when one is forced to trunk a story, but cheer up! I've eventually dusted off and sold trunk stories before, so maybe there's hope for it yet. A few years, or even months, may give you fresh perspective. Either way, condolences.

Last edited:

MeretSeger

The Alydar of Writers
Registered
Reaction score
Anyone know what the Rs are running from Analog? I have a story out 154 days there, and since I queried once already, I don't want to be a pest...but I fear the system didn't upload my expected R...

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
Anyone know what the Rs are running from Analog? I have a story out 154 days there, and since I queried once already, I don't want to be a pest...but I fear the system didn't upload my expected R...
Their last R was 130 days or so, and that was on the 4th I believe. Meaning if or when they start to respond to things, your 154 days might be in the queue.

renard79

Teacher in Space
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Don't wish for the rejections to stop. If they ever stop it means one of three things:

1) You are not submitting enough.
2) You're submitting but the markets are taking way too long
3) You're Neil Gaiman.

:)

1) Got this one covered! They're just coming back fast and furious now.
2) True in some cases...
3) That would be fun!

Thanks. :)

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
68-day form rejection from Tin House and 83-day form rejection from The Cincinnati Review.

squeaky pram

oldie turned newbie
Registered
Reaction score
68-day form rejection from Tin House and 83-day form rejection from The Cincinnati Review.

Aw, gettingby, sorry to hear it. Those are tough markets. But you know that. I think unless you're terribly lucky (right story, right reader, right time) it's extraordinarily difficult to publish in these types of journals. But it can happen (happened to me in the 90s a few times, but nothing since I started writing again two years ago). Don't get discouraged! Send those puppies out!

Last edited:

Niccolo

Registered
Reaction score
Well today I found out the sad news that Pill Hill Press has been closed down, which means my two stories submitted for the Daily Flash 2013 anthology will need to find new homes.

First Abomination, now Pill Hill Press. Maybe my submissions are bad luck :tongue

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
Aw, gettingby, sorry to hear it. Those are tough markets. But you know that. I think unless you're terribly lucky (right story, right reader, right time) it's extraordinarily difficult to publish in these journals. But it can happen (happened to me in the 90s a few times, but nothing since I started writing again two years ago). Don't get discouraged! Send those puppies out!

Thanks. They are tough markets. For me, it has been a year of sending something out every week and no luck. I hope 2013 is good for both of us.

Brynn

Registered
Reaction score
19-day R from Kazka, 2-day from Penumbra, and an e-mail from Joni at WOTF informing me I misspelled her name. :(

renard79

Teacher in Space
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Three more Rs this morning - two for Star*Line, one for Safety Pin Review. Both personal and complimentary, but still.

17 Rs in January, 16 in the past two weeks. I'm having champagne this weekend!

On to February. :)

Eliza C

We’ll see what happens from here…
Registered
Reaction score
Three more Rs this morning - two for Star*Line, one for Safety Pin Review. Both personal and complimentary, but still.

Ugg! Sorry to hear that renard. At least you're getting a lot out there - kudos for that!

Niccolo - special commiserations to you as well for having sales but suddenly no market. I saw the announcement they had folded -- too bad.

LolaVelo

Registered
Reaction score
19-day R from Kazka, 2-day from Penumbra, and an e-mail from Joni at WOTF informing me I misspelled her name. :(

Ouch!!!

Last year I got a very nice rejection from Asimov's (from Ms. Williams) that was very encouraging but ended... and please look up standard manuscript formatting. I wanted to hide under the sofa.

Last edited:

LolaVelo

Registered
Reaction score

On to February. :)

I'm sending you two Saint Bernards this time, Renard. I'm so impressed by how much you're submitting, though!

O'Dandelo

Registered
Reaction score
One of my 4 second-round stories came home today with a frown on its face. Shimmer gave me a very kind and ego-inflating rejection, but a rejection all the same. :'(

fihr

Registered
Reaction score
Commiserations everyone. Especially for the multiple R's, and closing markets, and especially Brynn - don't worry, we all make typos and mistakes, sometimes even after checking. O'Dandelo, I hope the rest of those middlings go better. I know an acceptance is better, but that second round Shimmer one must be a strong story, and I'll bet it sells soon elsewhere.

Crickets for me. Some markets seem to still be in Christmas hiatus. Three of my stories have elements that might make them a difficult fit for some markets, but we'll see. I'm not producing new shorts right now, since am planning a novella, but I miss writing shorts already. Hmm.

Eliza C

We’ll see what happens from here…
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry for the recent R's everyone. :-(

Project Deadlight

Registered
Reaction score
OD! Suckfest!

:( Big commiss. I had a 150 out at Gulf Coast under consideration, alas higher tier form. Feel yo' pain.

(sorry been watching a lot of The Wire)

renard79

Teacher in Space
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Sorry for the Rs everyone!

In positive R land, my submission to the first issue of Spellbound finally made its way back with some very positive feedback. It almost made it to an A! Editor gave some good suggestions, so I'll tighten a bit and send it out to another market; already working on something for their new issue.

Brynn

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the commiserations, and mine to y'all as well.

I got a 23-day R from Lore. I realize this may simply mean I suck a lot, but I was pleased with the quick turnaround.

Anybody else ever feel like they should give a market a break from their constant submitting? ;-) I have a few favorite markets that almost always have something from me lately. I almost feel like, "Wow, good job Lore. Here, I'll wait to submit to you for a month!" But of course, I won't.

It's their own fault, really. Their form is just too darn nice. (Although by "in the future" they probably mean "in the next few years" not "later this week." Oh, well.)