Howdy! New to AW, not new to Westerns :)

RCtheBanditQueen

Registered
Reaction score
Hi there! I am super excited to find a writing forum to hobnob around in (one of only two I've been able to find), and a Western subforum no less!

I've not been able to connect with very many writers at all in my life, and even fewer Western writers. I could count them on the fingers of a single hand. If that hand got mangled by a chainsaw, I could still count them. :p

So I thought I'd just sashay on in here and say hello.

Westerns are my favorite genre to write, and read (mostly. If they're aren't real trashy. Sue me. :) ). It's what I know the best too, having grown up in West Texas around cowboys, even though I never actually got to be one or live on a ranch. But at last I've got my own little piece of land with lots of critters (mainly goats, chickens, and horses...I've got a menagerie!).

I am hoping this forum is active...being able to find other Western writers would be really, really awesome!

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
Welcome! This here ain't the most active forum on the board, but there's a few western writers on board. I enjoy reading westerns, but what I write falls more into the weird category.

Feel free to explore the whole board because there's a lot of great information handed out that applies to all writers regardless of genre.

Do you write novels or short stories?

Snowstorm

Baby plot bunneh sniffs out a clue
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome RCtheBanditQueen! I'm a mystery writer (one novel might also count as a Western). See you 'round the boards.

RCtheBanditQueen

Registered
Reaction score
Cool! I've never read a mystery Western, Snowstorm. Might be fun. :)

Shadow_Ferret, I've done both. I started out with a shortish novel (30,000~ words; does that still count as a novel?) that I have the manuscript of, and then a short story, and then one in between. :p And then I started on another longish novel manuscript, and at the same time I've been practicing my short story skills, which has been great for helping me tighten my writing and make every word count.

What do you like to write?

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
Most everything I write has a speculative aspect to it, either straight up sci-fi and fantasy or if I try another genre, mystery, thriller, western, it always has a spec element in it.

Since I've been reading a lot of Louis Lamour and Ernest Haycox lately I'm in a western bent.