Two Psychopaths in Love? (books, genre questions, etc.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

andiwrite

Registered
Reaction score
I'm interested in stories that can make evil people sympathetic, and I'd like to read some romantic books that feature a murderous couple. Two psychopaths in love, kind of like Natural Born Killers.

I'd like to write something like this one day, but I want to see how other authors have done it first. NBK is the only story I can think of off the top of my head that does this (with a happy ending for the couple). Would this type of thing be classified as romance, horror/romance, straight-up horror, or something else?

Does anyone know of any books like this that I can read?

(I wasn't sure whether to post this question here or in the romance forum ... Or the books forum. Sorry if it's in the wrong place.)

quicklime

all out of fucks to give
Banned
Reaction score
ketchum had a short at the end of one of his books that fit the bill, but forgot the name of it :-(

Jackx

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
I'm interested in stories that can make evil people sympathetic, and I'd like to read some romantic books that feature a murderous couple.

I just read a great little book called The Grove by John Rector. It wasn't Natural Born Killers, but it did have a pretty messed up protagonist that you normally wouldn't root for. Rector was able to make him sympathetic enough to where I was actively rooting for him to succeed by the end, and I didn't expect it. There was also a very twisted "relationship" in there, too.

Other books that might provide some inspiration… Have you read anything on Charles Starkweather and Ann Fugate? They were the inspiration for Natural Born Killers, but I think all the books on them are non-fiction.

Last edited:

Rhoda Nightingale

Vampire Junkie
Registered
Reaction score
The Hellbound Heart if you squint, but then again, that book takes my mind to . . . strange places . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.