Game: How well do you know your characters? (MTS edition)

Sonsofthepharaohs

Still writing the ancient Egyptian tetralogy
Registered
Reaction score
Jack Miller drives a 1972 Chevelle that he and his best friend restored when they were fifteen.
What's your character's strangest trait? (For example, Jack, a forty year old, former MMA fighter is secretly a Shania Twain superfan.)

Cars weren't invented for another 3500 years after my character's time, but he did really love his chariot... until he got in an accident with a cart and totalled it. Then just as his new one was almost ready, someone poisoned his horses. Now he has to go everywhere on foot, and ends up arriving late to seekrit council meetings.

His strangest trait is... he lets his hair grow long and has a beard, although all good civilised Egyptians shave their entire bodies and wear wigs. But as chief of the Medjay police, the majority of whom are Nubian, he likes to honour some of their cultural traditions.

What's your character's secret celebrity crush?

Last edited by a moderator:

jeseymour

Registered
Reaction score
Website
jeseymour.com
Audrey Hepburn. But really, he couldn't care less about celebrities. Rarely watches tv, almost never sees any movies, certainly not in a movie theater.

What bad habits does your character have? (Kevin smokes, but he's trying to quit.)

Sonsofthepharaohs

Registered
Reaction score
What bad habits does your character have? (Kevin smokes, but he's trying to quit.)

Call it a cop cliche, but he's basically a functioning alcoholic. Due to his high stress job and emotionally unfulfilling home life, he drinks - to the point of drunkenness - probably most days. But he's trying to quit - ever since he woke up naked next to his niece and can't remember what he did with her. :D

What's your character's guilty pleasure/stress relief?

IAMWRITER

QWERTY!!!
Registered
Reaction score
What's your character's guilty pleasure/stress relief?

Mariel used to favor a bottle of Jack as a stress reliever but now settles for a bubble bath with a glass of wine (or two).

Question: What was your character like at school? Model pupil/troublemaker/etc.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Question: What was your character like at school? Model pupil/troublemaker/etc.

Greg was always a model pupil, although starting around 14 he got into a lot of trouble outside of school. And although he did the work - often exceptionally well - he was sometimes rude (or even cruel) to his teachers.

He grew out of it, but he was a nasty kid for a while.

Has your character ever been in love? How many times?

KBHumphrey

Registered
Reaction score
Kelli wanted a cat when she was little, but her mom was allergic. Now she has no time for pets.

What is your characters favorite food? (And chocolate is NOT food.)

Steak. He says it right in the book: "If I could eat steak every day, I'd die a happy man. Fat, but happy."

KBHumphrey

Registered
Reaction score
What kind of car does your character drive, and is that car his or her dream car?

Being a bit of a stereotypical guy - on the surface - Rick Killing drives a Mustang Cobra that he lets loose with once in a while.

Sonsofthepharaohs

Registered
Reaction score
Has your character ever been in love? How many times?

As the only son of a wealthy general, my MC has lived a life of privilege and had pretty much everything he wants - including women. He had his first house slave at 13. At 14 his much older brother-in-law took him to a brothel to celebrate cutting his sidelock and becoming a man. When he inherited his father's estate at 18, he married a noblewoman (for her father's title), but their failure to produce children created a deep rift, so he consoled himself with the company of other women by creating his own private harem.

Despite loving women, he has never been in love - until age 28, when a 16 year old peasant girl accidentally ends up in his possession. He's doing his very best to deny it and carry on as normal, but... he's falling for her hard.

What kind of vacation would your character go on? beach? citybreak? skiing?

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
What kind of vacation would your character go on? beach? citybreak? skiing?

I think Lydia would tell everyone she's going on a beach holiday somewhere, and just stay at home for a week with the curtains shut, drinking wine and watching films.

What was the last sporting event your character went to (in person, not just watching on the TV)?

Lorcroftlegacy

Registered
Reaction score
What was the last sporting event your character went to (in person, not just watching on the TV)?
Jack's last sporting event (where he was not on the card) would have to have been game 4 of the 1997 Stanley Cup finals where he returned to his birthplace of Detroit to see the hometown heroes sweep the Philadelphia Flyers.
What's your character's most prized possession?

Sonsofthepharaohs

Registered
Reaction score
What's your character's most prized possession?

Well, I'd say it was his champion chariot racing horses, until someone poisoned them. Then again, as he's currently in the process of falling head over heels with his slave girl, I guess he'd have to say her ;)

What is your character's biggest regret?

jeseymour

Registered
Reaction score
Website
jeseymour.com
What is your character's biggest regret?

In a life full of regrets, I have to guess the biggest would be that he feels he has let down his wife and let down his kids, by not being there.

Now we need a happy question. Or at least less of an unhappy question. Given a choice, where would your character most want to live? And, this is a two parter, where do they actually live?

Kevin is flexible, any place outside of prison is a good place to be, although he doesn't like hot and steamy places. And at the end of Lead Poisoning, he is on his way to living in Attica.

Sonsofthepharaohs

Registered
Reaction score
Given a choice, where would your character most want to live? And, this is a two parter, where do they actually live?

My character lives in Thebes, in Egypt. There's nowhere else he'd rather live, because everyone knows that Egypt is the only land beloved by the gods, and Thebes the most beloved city of all. It is the cult centre of my MC's patron god, Amun. Besides, he lives in a swanky villa on the ultra des res west bank, reserved for high ranking government officials. He has an estate in the delta, but he rarely has time to get down there these days.

OK, happy question... what is your MC's greatest talent?

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
OK, happy question... what is your MC's greatest talent?

Lydia is a voice analyst by trade - she's great with accents. She can tell you where someone grew up, how they were educated, and where they currently live from snatches of staticky cellphone audio.

What was your character's favourite book as a child?

Sonsofthepharaohs

Registered
Reaction score
Edited to add a new question - Boxers or briefs?

Lol. You guys are really making it hard on the historical crime novelist here...

Oh, and women :tongue

Anyway, neither. The chief goes commando under his leather kilt. ;)

Is your MC a cat or dog person?

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
CATS CATS dogs are evil CATS CATS CATS

*ahem*.

Can your character cook? Do they have any signature dishes that they whip up when they need to impress someone?

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
CATS CATS dogs are evil CATS CATS CATS

Oh, dear, you are going to hate my sequel.

Can your character cook? Do they have any signature dishes that they whip up when they need to impress someone?

Greg thinks he can cook. He has a couple of things he does with eggs. But he doesn't use herbs or spices - he considers them a waste of time - so as a result everything he makes is really bland. And he doesn't do desserts, so no rescue there.

What genre does your character like to read?

IAMWRITER

QWERTY!!!
Registered
Reaction score

Historical fiction - Mariel's a bit of a history nerd (much like myself) and was torn between studying Political Sciences or History (also much like myself, although I chose English over History :D)

Does your character have any lucky charms/mascots?

Sonsofthepharaohs

Registered
Reaction score

Well, not that he likes it particularly, but he reads mostly reports from his watch captains or his deputy chief, or books of law. Not really a fan of reading for pleasure.

IAMWRITER said:
Does your character have any lucky charms/mascots?

Yes, he has an Eye of Horus amulet around his neck, which he never takes off. When he receives god's protection, like when he walked away from a chariot crash with barely a scratch, and survived an explosion in a warehouse fire, the first thing he does is kiss it and say a silent prayer of thanks to Horus.

What is your character's favourite saying/quote?

Last edited by a moderator:

Flipper_Dipper

Registered
Reaction score
I think Jayne is scared of being alone, relying on whiskey and sleeping pills to get her by. She can't really get close to people, as she doesn't want them to find out who she really is.

What is your characters greatest achievement?

Sonsofthepharaohs

Registered
Reaction score
What is your character's greatest fear?

Professionally, his greatest fear is being powerless to prevent injustice and restore the balance of Ma'at, which he took a sacred oath to protect.

Personally, his greatest fear is not having a son to carry on his legacy.

What is the one thing your character would change about themselves, if they could?