Music recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Ink_Goddess

we're gonna make it out of the fire
Registered
Reaction score
What are some creepy music recommendations to get into the 'horror' mood? Classical/instrumental is better, and I really don't want anything with jump scares if that's possible because I'm a baby and I write at night. The Ring soundtrack is exactly the kind of thinking I'm looking for; I'm also writing a rural Satanic horror so if anybody has any John Fullbright-ish "dark country" recs, throw 'em my way. :)

Niccolo

Registered
Reaction score
Two Steps From Hell's "Halloween" album is mostly instrumental, and has a nice creepy vibe to it.

williemeikle

The force is strong in this one.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.williammeikle.com
Depends on the exact mood you want...

I find when writing horror that having something almost cheerful in the background helps in the required lighter moments. I wrote a whole novel listening to the Monkees, Mamas and Papas and early Beatles stuff.

Alternatively, stuff like Tangerine Dream, Mike Oldfield or the album of humpback whale song does it for me.

I also play a lot of blues and bluesgrass, but then, I'm one of 'em weird horror writers...

Tinman

Registered
Reaction score
If you'll go to page 2 you'll see a post Mood Music For Horror. There are 90 posts with hundreds of suggestions. You might start there. Some links are included. Good Luck!!!

Axl Prose

Registered
Reaction score
Buckethead makes some really creepy/moody music. Pretty much all instrumental.

Jess Haines

Boldly going nowhere in particular.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jesshaines.com
Anything by Midnight Syndicate is nice and creepy. They do music soundtracks for haunted houses and such. Here's a good example if you want to see what their style is like.

Second the recommendation for the Donnie Darko soundtrack.

The first 50-ish minutes of the Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines soundtrack is good if you're in the mood for something instrumental but dark and edgy. You probably won't like the song that starts at 1:03, so just a head's up on that. I think there may be a couple other songs in there that wouldn't fit what you're looking for, but the bulk of it is instrumental.

Not quite as dark, but the soundtrack for The Last of Us is also great and pretty bleak at times.

I liked a good chunk of the soundtrack for Masters of Horror, but I don't think it would match what you're looking for. However, you might like the intro.

Also, while the movie was tragically bad, the violin solo in Queen of the Damned was pretty good.

engmajor2005

Registered
Reaction score
F#A#∞ by Godspeed You! Black Emperor is perhaps the most eerie, depressing, and oppressive album in modern music. If you are going for an otherworldly, wasteland, apocalyptic feel it's a solid bet.

The soundtrack to 28 Days Later... is the definition of a modern horror film soundtrack.

Black metal bands, such as Cradle of Filth and Dimu Borgir, are great for setting a horror mood.

You can never go wrong with Nine Inch Nails, especially the album Ghosts I-VI.

Bilfin

Registered
Reaction score
Music of dark dreams can be upbeat with frightening lyrics hidden in the dance......Mr.Sandman/The End/Monkey gone to Heaven...but one of the best has to be... My Gold Mask-Violet Eyes.

Chris1981

Just Another Transman
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Jill Tracy's "Diabolical Streak" is a fine album.

matthew86

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
I suggest you to listen to Tomandandy. They created score for horror films like The hills have eyes and Resident evil. I think you're gonna like it.

Vegetarian Cannibal

I eat clowns.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thevegetariancannibal.blogspot.com
Horror movie soundtracks are a start. Also, epic choir/orchestral music like the main theme from "The Omen."

Bernard Hermann (a classic--every horror writer should listen to at least one song of his)

One of my recent favorites is "Unoder" by Under Byen. The music video is fantastic. But everything from this band has a dark, creepy vibe. I love their album Alt Er Tabt.

I like gothy stuff. Goldfrapp's album, "Felt Mountain," Dead Can Dance, Max Richter (keen on The Trees, narrated by Tilda Swinton!) Sometimes the best music is classical.

It's Gone Now

Registered
Reaction score
This is my first ever post, so hi all!!

I think the soundtrack to the Movie "SINISTER" is incredibly unsettling if you are in the right mood.

Insidious had some pretty decent creepy music.

Anything by Akira Yamaoka (first 4 Silent Hill games) is worth listening to. A lot of it is not music thought but it is very creepy. Silent Hill 2 has probably the best game soundtrack ever.

Kevvy711

Registered
Reaction score
Have you ever heard of apocalyptical. They do Metallica music by four cellos and it is all instrumental. The sound is kind of eerie and I think it would be a good choice to write to.

Status
Not open for further replies.