Quest for Lovecraft Fans

Status
Not open for further replies.

BardofArcadia

Registered
Reaction score
I flirt back and forth between Avalon, Middle-Eart
I've a weary query for fans of good ol' HP.

The demons in his stories (Cthulhu, Dagon, ect.), are they supposed to literally exist as he physically describes them, or are they supposed to be "stand-ins" for even greater forces of nature the narrators cannot explain?

HP Lovecraft is very descriptive at times of his monsters, but I cannot shake off the feeling that he's hinting at something more. What do you think?

Amadan

Banned
Reaction score
Cthulhu and Dagon and the rest of the mythos were, as I understand it, actual entities with a physical presence, but so horrible and sanity-shattering that all descriptions of them are approximations, since the human mind cannot perceive and comprehend the awfulness of their "true" appearance.

If you mean, are they purely physical beings? Like, could you kill Cthulhu with a big enough gun? Dunno, but I'd assume being extradimensional gods, they probably don't fully exist in this plane.

C.bronco

I have plans...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cynthia-bronco.blogspot.com

The demons in his stories (Cthulhu, Dagon, ect.), are they supposed to literally exist as he physically describes them, or are they supposed to be "stand-ins" for even greater forces of nature the narrators cannot explain?

HP Lovecraft is very descriptive at times of his monsters, but I cannot shake off the feeling that he's hinting at something more. What do you think?
That's the intrigue of it, isn't it? H.P. had an amazing imagination, and talent for psychological horror. He created worlds. Isn't that what we all want to do?

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score

All good monsters, including vampires, or monsters from space, are stand-ins for something more, for some facet of the human condition, so I'd say the answer to your question is both.

Status
Not open for further replies.