House of Cards Season 3

Publius

Hummin', comin', atcha . . .
Registered
Reaction score
I was a little disappointed last season. I thought they rushed Underwood into the presidency, when really, they could've dragged it out a little more. Maybe over the course of a couple of seasons.

What I would've liked to see is a thorough examination of the American presidential campaign process, from the primaries to the general election.

It'll be interesting to see how they handle the complexity of the presidency, and how it interacts with Congress. How will Frank Underwood handle being on the other side for a change?

Last edited:

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
I need to do all of my homework for next week ahead of time so I can binge with you all.

csdemel

Registered
Reaction score
So, how is everyone doing?

Two episodes finished. Have yet to be sucked into a binge.

Also, I'd like to go on record saying that the first scene of season 3 episode 1 was just ridiculous. I mean, was that really necessary?

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
Remind me about that scene?

And yes, not as much tension. I'm more interested in Stamper than I am Frank right now.

Stiger05

Registered
Reaction score
I hated what they did with Clair and Frank's relationship this season.

Agreed! Their relationship was one of my favorite things about the show.

We're not quite done. We just finished episode 8 last night, but so far I'm not loving it as much as I did past seasons.

Publius

Registered
Reaction score
I only watched the first two. So far, not bad, but I have some issues with a few of the scenes. Not the opening scene in the graveyard. I liked that.

Warning: Mild spoilers ahead.

But. What was with Stamper wanting a syringe squirted into his mouth? Is that some kind of addict thing I'm not aware of? I felt like a group of writers were stuck without an idea there. Like: "Hey, we need to do something weird with Doug. An addict on a relapse isn't all that interesting. Oh, I know, let's have the hooker shoot the alcohol in his mouth. That'll be weird. Right?"

And Frank crying followed by Claire, um, relieving him I guess. That didn't feel right at all to me. If they're supposed to be this power couple who get off on ambition/success etc., wouldn't the sight of Frank crying like a baby be a turn off for her. I really wanted her to pull him up by the back of the collar and slap the crap out of him.

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
I think the syringe was Doug trying to limit himself. Maybe he can fool himself into thinking he's in control?

As for Claire and her relieving of Frank, I think she wanted to feel closer to him. And a part of me thought maybe she wanted to try for a baby again?

Publius

Registered
Reaction score
Good point about Doug. I didn't think of that, but it would certainly fit with his character.

It will be interesting to see if they go that way with Frank and Claire. The only thing I can think is, "If there are two people in the world who shouldn't be having kids, it'd be those two."

Stiger05

Registered
Reaction score
I finished season 3 last night. Spoilers:

What the hell? Terrible ending. I'm mad at the writers for so many things. Maybe it's just me, but it seemed to portray all the women as selfish shrews this season--Jackie turning on Heather then betraying Frank, Heather turning on Claire and Claire, well she especially was written terribly and I hated it. All of Frank's missteps and problems were because of Claire. She acted completely out of character. I'm sorry, but after all they've been through and worked for, I just don't see her throwing the White House away like that. If you're the first freaking lady you suck it up and hang in there, especially if you're Claire Underwood. Her little outburst in Russia--what? Cold, calculating Claire of the past seasons would never lose control like that. I get that she has her own ambitions, but I always figured the plan was to pull a Hilary and run for President herself one day. I also get that this season was about bringing some of the characters back to morality (Claire, Remy, Frank, the Presidency itself), but it just didn't fit everything we've learned about Claire so far. They've already done the whole Claire running off thing. I figured the vow renewal would be a turning point that brought the Claire and Frank of old back again, but instead we just backtracked.

Heather Dunbar is, quite frankly, an idiot. Who gives up a lifetime appointment to the Supreme Court? That's such a better gig than President. So what, she gets her name on a list and gets to be the first female President, but she also gets the stress, the press hounding her every move, the exhaustion, the roadblocks from Congress, and it's only for 4-8 years. Or, she can sit on the bench as long as she wants and have a real impact on law and history. SMH.

Doug. What the hell, Doug? I'm glad to see him back at the end, but that was a weird shift. The Rachel plot is one of my least favorites. I just got tired of it. Too much poor pitiful Doug this season. I was glad he referenced Peter Russo, because the whole time I kept thinking we'd already seen that whole storyline.

The only thing I really loved was Remy. His shift to morality and leaving politics was totally believable. Also, it was really weird to see him not wearing a suit at the end.

There was too little Frank being Frank, and too much whining and crying overall. I spent the first two rooting for Frank and this one just feeling sorry for him. I hope next season is better, because this one just didn't do it for me.

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
We just finished last night....

Stiger, I agree with you on most of it. But: I did like Claire. I liked her outburst in Russia. I was proud of her. I liked even better when she snapped back at Frank and said "I should never have made you President." Though she's been so hard-nosed in the past, I do think it worked for her this season. I think she has obviously all season been struggling with the immoral things they've done in the past and is trying to make it all right. I hate that she leaves him at the end. I'm still rooting for Frank even though I hate him. He said some horrible things to Claire and to Jackie.

I agree regarding Heather Dunbar. What a dummy. She would make an excellent Justice.

Jackie...what the hell? I couldn't believe she flipped like that. I mean, I guess I could because it's all getting to her now, but it's only all getting to her because, IMO, she's humiliated by the way Frank was treating her. The marriage thing was strange too. No build up. Didn't make sense.

Doug...boring! So much boringness. Although, I wasn't sure whether he was switching sides when he went to "work" for Dunbar or not. I'm glad he's not and that he's finally back on the team. They need him.

I like Seth. I liked Remy a lot this season. It'll be interesting to see what happens to him next season. I hope they don't just drop his character now that he's out of politics

Stiger05

Registered
Reaction score
I agree that I thought Claire did the right thing in Russia, it just wasn't a Claire thing to do. I don't know, I just saw a lot of it as set-up to blame Claire. The problems in Russia and with the Jordan Valley, the strain on their marriage, it all goes back Claire. I guess I just wanted Frank to be more at fault for these things. Instead he was painted as the husband who just loves and trusts his wife too much and is willing to do anything for her. That bothered me to no end.

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah. I get that. I guess I just know Frank, and it seems all too convenient for him to play that card (pun intended). I feel like...perhaps he had it planned from the beginning. He is THAT conniving. I think maybe he didn't think Claire would take it so far (as in the last few moments of the last episode), but it's almost as though he knew all along. It was a mistake to appoint her as Ambassador. He's not dumb, and he has way too much experience to think that was a good idea, based on her lack of experience and knowledge of foreign affairs. I just wonder if he knew it would turn out with Claire looking like the bad guy. Which would make him look good, like he loves his wife too much. The women voters would eat that up. So would the younger voters.

I just didn't feel like it was all her fault. Or that the show demonstrated it as all her fault. I think, despite the mess with Russia, she came out looking like a better person for having told him where to shove it. The Jordan Valley issue was another story. That...was a mess. She did look dumb and naive in that situation. I remember when she said without any doubt that she was POSITIVE so they should move forward...I remember thinking how can anyone sit in the situation room and say they are 100% positive about anything?

I'm rambling. In the end, I felt more sorrow for Claire, and even though I hate to see her walk away from everything (and can't imagine Frank winning without her), I get it. I'm sort of proud of her for finally sticking up for what she knows she deserves.

However, I wouldn't feel that way if the writers hadn't changed the whole dynamic of their relationship in this season. Prior to this season, they WERE equals. Maybe it is the power of being President going to Frank's head that makes him feel and act superior?

sheadakota

part of the human equation
Registered
Reaction score
I just started watching this on netflix- season one episode one- please tell me it gets better- Yawn-

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
Wow...keep watching, shea! It really is a great show. I can't remember how I felt after the first episode, but keep watching at least through season one. Trust me - there is plenty of tension and action!

sheadakota

part of the human equation
Registered
Reaction score
Wow...keep watching, shea! It really is a great show. I can't remember how I felt after the first episode, but keep watching at least through season one. Trust me - there is plenty of tension and action!

I rarely judge a show by the first episode, but I was tempted to with this-just boring, predictable ( don't lynch me!) I will keep watching mostly because i adore Kevin Spacey- the man can do no wrong.