Glee

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
OK, in all seriousness, I feel like there's some essential piece of human nature I'm not understanding here. Can someone explain why Quinn is likeable? Seriously--she refuses to sleep with her boyfriend b/c of faintly held religious beliefs, which is okay, but she has no problem both cheating on him and sleeping with another guy. Nor does she have any problem lying to her extremely kind and loyal boyfriend and telling him he's the father even though they never had sex. It makes for good drama, and I'm sure everyone's secret will come out about five minutes before the state championship in a big old hot mess, but she's straight evil! The only remorse she feels is when she realizes having a baby will inconvenience her. So seriously guys, explain her to me.
Ah! I didn't say I like Quinn because she's good. I mean, I LOVE Sue, but she ain't "good," in fact, she's very, very bad.

I like Quinn because she's moving from a caricature of head cheerleader to a real character, with complexity and depth.

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ah! I didn't say I like Quinn because she's good. I mean, I LOVE Sue, but she ain't "good," in fact, she's very, very bad.

I like Quinn because she's moving from a caricature of head cheerleader to a real character, with complexity and depth.

Okay, fair enough. Every time she opens her mouth, I become filled with rage. Which I guess is maybe the sign of a well-developed villain... I love Sue too, partly because she's hilarious and partly because she's a classic proud-to-be-evil villain who makes no effort to hide it.

Quinn is a hot cheerleader in distress. What's not to love?

Umm...her evil! Also, she's not that hot. She's kind of a cut-rate Hayden Panettiere.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Quinn is not evil. She's a self-absorbed, conniving, but vulnerable popular girl whose world is falling apart because she made an error of judgment. In other words, just like every other struggling teenager! She's like that one person in high school you'd like to hate, and then finally you find something about her (her pregnancy) you can make fun and hate her for -- but that just makes her one of you "losers." Like CaroGirl said, she's gone from a caricature to a real person with real problems despite her appearance and protective shell. She's starting to show some depths. That's exactly why she's gaining on me. I don't like a character simply because he or she is a "good person." That would just be superficial. I like them because they're interesting, and Quinn is becoming very interesting.

Oh, and she's hot.

p.s. Jane Lynch is pure gold. Great to see how a pro does it.

Last edited:

Kitty Pryde

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Quinn is not evil. She's a self-absorbed, conniving, but vulnerable popular girl whose world is falling apart because she made an error of judgment. In other words, just like every other struggling teenager! She's like that one person in high school you'd like to hate, and then finally you find something about her (her pregnancy) you can make fun and hate her for -- but that just makes her one of you "losers." Like CaroGirl said, she's gone from a caricature to a real person with real problems despite her appearance and protective shell. She's starting to show some depths. That's exactly why she's gaining on me.

OK, maybe it's that cheating on a kind, thoughtful boyfriend is too much of unforgivable offense (to me) to be able to sympathize with her. I have never cheated nor been cheated on, but for some reason it really pushes all my buttons. Hmm. Or maybe it's her gold medal in the hypocrisy olympics that's bugging me.

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
What Ray said. :)

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Quinn is one of the only characters I don't like. I don't like anything about her. (maybe it's my dislike for that clique though, who knows?)

I love the show. I thought this week's episode was one of the best. The fury! I loved it. The music is not as good as it has been. I hope they do something good on that front soon.

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Oh...I see I have a bit of an ally in Kitty. I kind of find Quinn a bit deplorable, myself.

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
OK, maybe it's that cheating on a kind, thoughtful boyfriend is too much of unforgivable offense (to me) to be able to sympathize with her. I have never cheated nor been cheated on, but for some reason it really pushes all my buttons. Hmm. Or maybe it's her gold medal in the hypocrisy olympics that's bugging me.

Cheating is one of the offenses I am never able to forgive of people in RL. If you're done with someone, leave them. Don't cheat when you're in a relationship...that's swine-y and oogie.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com

To me, it's not a deal-breaker because it was a mistake, an error of judgment (she was drunk, I guess). I know some people take cheating seriously and that makes her a "bad, bad, bad" person. Not to me. It'd be too easy to judge someone that way. Too black and white and the thing I love about this character is that it's not just black and white. Everyone makes mistakes (she was saving herself for Finn) and Quinn's is ruining her life and she's going to lose everything, including the guy she really loves. And if that's not sympathetic simply because she made a mistake, then I think we're being way too harsh. God forbid, I've done some really stupid, hurtful things myself so I'm not the one to throw the first, or any, stones.

I just love complex, conflicted characters and that's why I'm liking Quinn more and more, because she's becoming a real character with real problems.

Oh, and she's hot.

But anyway, you want a guy's perspective, and there you go. I guess I have a soft spot for cute girls with a serious problem. :)

Quinn is one of the only characters I don't like.

And why hate Quinn? How about Puck? Talk about an unlikable person. Not only did he seduce and sleep with his best friend's girl and lie about it, he's not doing anything to help Quinn. And I bet he's still sleeping with cougars everywhere (and don't forget, they are MARRIED women). And he's just shitty to everyone.

That's also a guy's perspective because I know women who basically say, "I love Puck because he's hot." A bit of a double standard there, don't you think? But comparing him to Quinn, he has no depth at all, so far. And to me, Quinn is right to say he's a Lima Loser.

The only character that I REALLY do not like is Will's wife. Absolutely no redeeming value, and I doubt she actually loves Will. The looks on his face when he saw his "daughter" just broke me, and made me hate her so much. That's the cruelest thing anyone can do.

Last edited:

Kitty Pryde

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
OK, Puck is hot. But he's just as unlikable (maybe a little less so because he gets so little screentime) as she is. It's a teeny bit more awful to betray your boyfriend than to betray your best friend.

I guess I didn't see it come off as an 'oops i made a terrible mistake', i saw it more as a 'we've been secretly boning behind my boyfriend's back and i'm only with him because he's The Quarterback'. Which also causes me to lose sympathy for her screwing up her life.

As far as being too harsh on people (fictional or otherwise), I dunno, I never get the feeling that she feels bad for what she did to Finn, who is the nicest dude ever. Nor does she seem to feel bad for disappointing her parents, not doing what Jesus wants her to do, or creating an unwanted child. She's still too deep in the self-absorption thing. I guess it all just goes to show that it's really hard to get people to interpret your good guys and bad guys the way you mean for them to.

To me, it's not a deal-breaker because it was a mistake, an error of judgment (she was drunk, I guess). I know some people take cheating seriously and that makes her a "bad, bad, bad" person. Not to me. It'd be too easy to judge someone that way. Too black and white and the thing I love about this character is that it's not just black and white. Everyone makes mistakes (she was saving herself for Finn) and Quinn's is ruining her life and she's going to lose everything, including the guy she really loves. And if that's not sympathetic simply because she made a mistake, then I think we're being way too harsh. God forbid, I've done some really stupid, hurtful things myself so I'm not the one to throw the first, or any, stones.

I just love complex, conflicted characters and that's why I'm liking Quinn more and more, because she's becoming a real character with real problems.

Oh, and she's hot.

But anyway, you want a guy's perspective, and there you go. I guess I have a soft spot for cute girls with a serious problem. :)

And why hate Quinn? How about Puck? Talk about an unlikable person. Not only did he seduce and sleep with his best friend's girl and lie about it, he's not doing anything to help Quinn. And I bet he's still sleeping with cougars everywhere (and don't forget, they are MARRIED women). And he's just shitty to everyone.

That's also a guy's perspective because I know women who basically say, "I love Puck because he's hot." A bit of a double standard there, don't you think? But comparing him to Quinn, he has no depth at all, so far. And to me, Quinn is right to say he's a Lima Loser.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
No, Quinn and Puck haven't been boinking behind Finn's back. As I understood, it was a one-time mistake and Quinn was tipsy on wine cooler that Puck gave her. She was determined to stay a virgin until she marries Finn... so I really don't think it's been going on with Puck. It was almost a date-rape, to me, except he wasn't even dating her! That makes me dislike Puck even more -- he took advantage of her.

I just don't get it why he's more likable than Quinn. He's an asshole through and through.

Last edited:

Kitty Pryde

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
No, Quinn and Puck wasn't boinking behind Finn's back. As I understood, it was a one-time mistake and Quinn was tipsy on wine cooler that Puck gave her. She was determined to stay a virgin until she marries Finn... so I really don't think it's been going on with Puck. It was almost a date-rape, to me, except he wasn't even dating her! That makes me dislike Puck even more -- he took advantage of her.

I just don't get it why he's more likable than Quinn. He's an asshole through and through.

Ah. I dunno, he's only about 0.1% more likable than Quinn--not cheating on a romantic partner, not getting as much screen time to earn our scorn, and also not really caring who knows he's a total jerkface. I'm not sure why it's better to be an unrepentant asshole than a pretending-to-be-good asshole, but I've done the math and that's what I've come up with. (My high school was very not-cliquey, but I would be scared to death of either one of those characters as a HS kid.)

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
We like and dislike characters based on our own prisms. To you and Kevin, the cheating on your boyfriend part is unforgivable. To me, I just like the way they've been doing with her character, to make her more real and multi-faceted and conflicted and vulnerable. There's just something I see in her that, I guess, you don't.

In real life, by the way, I bet you won't like me either...

That's all.

anyway, you asked us why we liked Quinn, and three of us gave our reasons. You may not agree, but there it is. That's why everything is subjective. Someone's Satan could be another's Jesus. That's what makes it interesting.

Last edited:

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score

Oh, and she's hot.

The only character that I REALLY do not like is Will's wife. Absolutely no redeeming value, and I doubt she actually loves Will. The looks on his face when he saw his "daughter" just broke me, and made me hate her so much. That's the cruelest thing anyone can do.
I am so totally with you, Ray, on this entire post. (except that I'm not a guy)

My first clue that Quinn was going to turn out to be a more well-rounded character came before we even knew she was pregnant. It was when she completely told Sue off, with her comment about not needing to put others down to have confidence in herself. And in the form of a "thank you" even. It was a great Quinn moment and showed that she was more than just Sue's puppet.

Last edited:

Grrarrgh

Not so new, not so much a kid
Registered
Reaction score
So.... I'm watching this week's episode and I just got to the scene where Will is helping Emma with her dancing. Leaving the issue of the wedding dress alone, why is Will singing the Thong Song and dancing around her? Why wouldn't he just play the song and help her with her dancing? This whole thing is very strange. The music is really starting to annoy me. I know that high school was a while ago for me, but I was in show choir and we certainly didn't sound like these kids or randomly burst into perfectly stylized songs.

Grrarrgh

Not so new, not so much a kid
Registered
Reaction score
So now Will's helping her wedding dress shopping? Really????????

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
So.... I'm watching this week's episode and I just got to the scene where Will is helping Emma with her dancing. Leaving the issue of the wedding dress alone, why is Will singing the Thong Song and dancing around her? Why wouldn't he just play the song and help her with her dancing? This whole thing is very strange. The music is really starting to annoy me. I know that high school was a while ago for me, but I was in show choir and we certainly didn't sound like these kids or randomly burst into perfectly stylized songs.
You just have to accept that it's a serialized comedy musical. If not, it'd be hard to enjoy it while analyzing it from a realistic perspective.

Anyway, I can understand Will singing the Thong Song better than telling Emma, "Hey, I put on the instrument version of your song, why don't you sing along?" The former makes sense because he's having fun and making fun of Ken's choice. The second seemed forced.

From a marketing perspective, Fox is playing this musical aspect completely right. Apparently they're getting the songs pretty cheaply from the artists because the show inspires people to download the originals, and artists like that. On top of that, every song they put on iTunes with the actors singing (I assume it's the actors singing; I know at least some of them are the actors) gets downloaded by a bunch of fans, including me, and helps with the show's budget.

Smish

Reads more than she writes.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I find it interesting that the majority of the songs seem to be from when I was in high school, which was a decade ago.

I still can't make up my mind about this show. I really like all of the teen characters, but hate the adults (except Sue; she's hilarious). The fake pregnancy annoys me, but I can handle it.

What I can't handle, however, is the Emma/Ken wedding. Why? Just... why? The two are going to continue living in seperate houses, only see each other at work, etc. Nothing about their relationship is going to change at all. What's the point?

So, I don't know... I still have the DVR set to record every week, but if they keep with the fake wedding/fake baby plots much longer, I'll stop watching.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
The outrageousness of the plot seems to be similar to that of Nip/Tuck which Ryan Murphy also created/wrote. Interestingly, that show is also categorized as drama instead of comedy.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, the fake marriage proposal acceptance was really where I gave up on the adults altogether.

I really don't understand why Ken's going through with the non-marriage, but I understand what it means for Emma. She sees it as a point where she can completely give up on Will. That's why she accepted.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
The outrageousness of the plot seems to be similar to that of Nip/Tuck which Ryan Murphy also created/wrote. Interestingly, that show is also categorized as drama instead of comedy.
Really? Interesting. I know TV Guide was calling it a comedy when they were doing their fall preview issue.

Smish

Reads more than she writes.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, the fake marriage proposal acceptance was really where I gave up on the adults altogether.

I really don't understand why Ken's going through with the non-marriage, but I understand what it means for Emma. She sees it as a point where she can completely give up on Will. That's why she accepted.

Actually, I understand Ken better than Emma. He actually loves her, so he's willing to go along with it, in the hopes that she'll eventually love him in return. The engagement is allowing him to spend more time with her, even if they are only arguing about which songs to play at their reception.

Emma's the one I don't understand. If the fact that Will's married to someone he actually loved, at least at some point, isn't enough to make her give up on him, why should her marriage-in-name-only make any difference?

She should just register for E-Harmony. :D

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
But think of all those unknown germs she might be exposed to if she tries out other people!

And all the germs on the keyboard, oh no! ;)