Constantine (The Series)

Kweei

Expert Procrastinator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kltownsend.com

Well, that's over then.

I gave it a shot. I love these kinds of shows. Supernatural is my favorite show. I loved X-Files back in the day. Does anyone remember Brimstone? That was a good one, too. (Unless I am remembering it wrong.)

I wanted to like Constantine. I'll stick around for the 13 episodes. But there is something missing from this show, something that worked in the comics, and has worked for other shows, but isn't translating well here. I don't know what it is.

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
Really disappointed by how much NBC have dropped the ball on this one. The scenes with human actors are still good and fun, but for the last few episodes the 'monster' scenes have been really wonky. Badly shot, funky audio levels and cuts, generally feels like they gave up on the effects budget half-way through the season. And it's a real shame, because the monster designs are pretty solid... they just really mess up the framing of the shots, and keep swapping the camera around at random.

It's odd, because a lot of it looks like prosthetics to me rather than full CG, which means it shouldn't be too 'expensive' to focus on the monsters? I'm out of my depth at trying to guess what's all going wrong, though.

Also, the last episode had some pretty stonkin' big plotholes. The house's traps have been shown before, and Constantine specifically mentioned leaving them turned on... so why were they ignored in favour of a convenient magic door? It's possible Zed turned them off when she left to get art supplies, but that was never shown... and if she could turn them off, surely she could turn them back on when showing Eddie around? Gah.

Steve Coate

Registered
Reaction score
Website
coaterack.blogspot.com
She was warned away from that door in a previous episode because "we're never quite sure what's back there" or some such, which I took to mean the architecture was constantly changing. At the time Constantine warned her off, the door led to a long dark stone corridor, as opposed to the ethereal limbo/nothingness in this episode.

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
Really enjoyed this run -- I know I complained that they dropped the ball mid-way, but they picked it up nicely towards the end. Such a shame it's not getting a second season.

Myrealana

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badfoodie.com
I'm beginning to fear I am a jinx on my favorite shows.

The ones I like never last past season one.
I thought my husband was the curse.

I've resolved never to introduce him to shows I enjoy until at least season 2.

He started this one at the beginning, but, since the only thing I knew about the character was the movie, I wasn't interested. Then, I started reading Injustice: Year 3, and decided John Constantine was pretty awesome.

But by then, the curse was already upon it.

Last edited: