GOTHAM (May Contain SPOILERS)

Myrealana

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badfoodie.com
I just have to say...

Of all the words I have ever used to describe Batman, I never thought "adorable" would be one of them.

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Fish Mooney...

DANG!

That woman was fierce last night. ;)

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
I'm guessing that the promised "early sighting" of the Joker is going to come during Gordon's circus-date with the ME. I suppose he'll be a clown. I wouldn't be surprised if there's mention of the Flying Greysons, too.

And Fish is growing on me.

M.S. Wilson

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I think the producers said that the Graysons would be making an appearance sooner or later. Personally, I'm hoping for a Boston Brand appearance/cameo (I know in the comics he was with a different circus, but I can still hope!)

dragonjax

I write stuff and break boards.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jackiekessler.com
Yeah, I think the producers said that the Graysons would be making an appearance sooner or later. Personally, I'm hoping for a Boston Brand appearance/cameo (I know in the comics he was with a different circus, but I can still hope!)

The Joker, the Flying Graysons, Boston Brand...that would be too much awesomeness in one episode. One could only hope... :D

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Again, Fish Mooney...

OMG!!!! :Jaw:

00Pepper

Super Pepper
Registered
Reaction score
I was three weeks behind and got all caught up yesterday. Sooo good! Fish, Bruce and Barbara...oh my!

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
This show's taking a darker turn. It's got a pretty high violence quotient for the time and network it airs on.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
It looks like Cat's already got come claws worth watching out for, if you're going to mess with her friends.

And I guess Barbara and Jim are about to cross paths again, courtesy of Christian Grey the Ogre. It's not like she's in any real danger, since she's destined to be Mrs. Gordon, but they're definitely going for the "near miss" angle.

I'm not sure what to make of Fish's storyline, or Penguin's, but I think it's interesting that she sacrificed the "muscle" for the weaker inmates in Dolmacher's clinic / prison. (I don't understand why he'd want his donors to be living in squalid conditions. It seems like healthy donors would mean healthier donations. There should have been after-care for the donors as well as the recipients. It's not like he was dealing with an HMO or anything.)

M.S. Wilson

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I was kinda surprised by Selina's actions...in the comics (at least in the Silver/Bronze Ages) they made a big thing about her NOT killing.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
I keep forgetting this show isn't set in the present. Then someone jumps over a counter and shows off the typewriters and old-school standard putty-colored computers.

dragonjax

I write stuff and break boards.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jackiekessler.com
I keep forgetting this show isn't set in the present. Then someone jumps over a counter and shows off the typewriters and old-school standard putty-colored computers.

But I think there are cell phones, no? I feel like it's set in some dreamscape comic-book near-past, when women wore hats to be fashionable and female nurses still wore the traditional uniforms and caps.

I appreciated the Shining-esque moment when Leslie locked herself in the bathroom and Barbara chopped her way through. And I really liked the subtle touch of Selena rubbing her head against Fish's shoulder - very cat-like. Although the "Cat got your tongue?" moment was a bit much.

So now Ed's going crazy and Barb's going crazy and Penguin was already there in the crazy-like-a-fox way, and Bruce and Alfred have found the Batcave. (Batcave Prime?) Am I crazy, or did Alfred at one point call Bruce "Master B?"

My verdict for the finale: A bit over the top, all in all, but hey, it's Gotham. It's supposed to be over the top.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
I love pairing Selena with Fish (slightly ironic that the cat's learning tricks from the fish). That duo could run Gotham, assuming Fish isn't, y'know sleeping with the fishes. I hope they fix Butch, too. I like him. I really, really, really expected him to knock Penguin's legs out from under him while he was doing the Titanic "King of the World" bit on top of the warehouse. Then Butch and Selena could have gone off together with him as her enforcer, now.

Also -- MARONI!!! Yay for Fish, but dude... serious bat-universe retcon right there!

The "Master B" thing was just weird, out of left field, and totally against character. Bruce also seems to be a bit unhinged with his automatic belief / obsession that the bad guy version of his dad is the only viable "real" truth.

Barbara is completely looney-toons. The character is so far gone at this point that I can't see any way for them to redeem her enough that she and Jim would get back together. (Speaking of people that will never get back together with Barbara, what happened to Rene Montoya and her partner?! You'd think that Jim would be looking for all the support he could muster at this point.)

I kind of wish the show had been structured differently and we'd gotten a scene of Selena helping Fish back to the loft, so that they were the ones who walked in on the girl-fight instead of "Jim & his wacky pals."

Not sure I liked the Gollum/Smeagol Osbourne/Green Goblin moment with Nygma. That kind of thing takes nuance to pull off and I think they came on a little ham-fisted with it.

One thing this show does well is nailing comic book imagery in active-form. Case in point is the opening scene with Fish doing the "Crossing of the Delaware" with her refugees in their little boat. And I swear her lines sound like they were lifted from some 40's noir film with Betty Davis or something. Very old-school femme fatale.

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
  • Loved the "Cat got your tongue?" comment
  • Really, really can't stand Barbara
  • Loved the Girl-Fight and the "Shining-esque" moment too
  • Can't wait to see what's in the Batcave

Oh, and didn't I read or hear that Jada Pinkett-Smith was done after this season? :Shrug:

Last edited:

aliceYA

Registered
Reaction score
Over here in the UK we're on series 2. I haven't found it as good as series 1. There's too much about The Penguin and the gangs. I want more about Bruce and Cat!