A New "Alien"?

robjvargas

Rob J. Vargas
Banned
Reaction score
Too early to say anything for sure, but CNN and affiliated site Hollywood Reporter say director Neill Blomkamp is interested in a remake. And Sigourney Weaver has expressed interest.

<LINK>

This gives me hope:
Blomkamp will ignore the last two sequels in the series -- "Alien 3" and "Alien: Resurrection" -- and pick up the storyline after the events of the James Cameron-directed "Aliens."

Beyond that, details about Blomkamp's "Alien" are still scarce. There's no word about when the film might hit theaters or whether it would bring back characters from the earlier movies -- although star Sigourney Weaver seems likely to return.

It's all still in the speculation stage at this point. I pretty much agree with the CNN article on ways to ruin it.

I'm going to keep an eye on this, though.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
I'm not! The original is a classic and should not be messed with!

Has everyone in Hollywood had their imagination surgically removed? When was the last time someone made a film that wasn't a reboot or a sequel or a prequel? The whole place seems devoid of any creativity.

CheG

Registered
Reaction score
Website
chegilson.blogspot.com
I'd rather Blomkamp make a District 9 sequel when the Prawns return then ANOTHER freaking Alien movie. The original is great- it's aged well, it's doesn't need a remake.

Or at the very least maybe Blomkamp could direct a Prometheus sequel if he wants to make an Alien movie so bad? I dunno.

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
But it says right there, it's not going to be a remake of the first one, but a continuation of the series beyond Aliens. I, for one, am excited. I saw the sketches and designs he revealed a few months back and loved them. I like Blomkamp's work so far and am eager to see what he does with the series.

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Much like the rebooted Terminator which resets the premise of the original and Terminator 2, as long as there's even the faintest pulse in a film franchise, some producer will find some director and writer to take another swing at it.

Alien 3 and Alien Resurrection are junk. Sorry if those are among your all-time faves, but they truly suck ass. Sigourney Weaver will be 66 years old by the time Blomkamp finishes his installment, but she's on board with the idea of picking up where Aliens left off.

In an interview with Sky Movies, Weaver expressed her excitement over Blomkamp’s desire to bring Ripley back: “I would love to take Ripley out of orbiting around in space and give a proper finish to what was such an excellent story. So when somebody like Neill Blomkamp suddenly said ‘well, I’m interested in finishing the story’, my little ears perked up.”

Blomkamp also told Sky News that “Alien 5″ would actually be a sequel to “Aliens,” and that he would proceed as if the last two installments in the franchise, “Alien 3″ and “Alien: Resurrection,” did not exist: “I want this film to feel like it is literally the genetic sibling of ‘Aliens.’ So it’s ‘Alien,’ ‘Aliens,’ this movie.”
I have the same feeling toward the nightmare that was The Godfather III. :Headbang:

robjvargas

Rob J. Vargas
Banned
Reaction score
If he can fix the slimy mess that was Alien 3 and Alien: Resurrection, I'll be satisfied. Give Ripley the ending she really deserved.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
Sorry if those are among your all-time faves,

God no, they are utter rubbish.

Just wish someone would come up with something that isn't a sequel/prequel/reboot.

CheG

Registered
Reaction score
Website
chegilson.blogspot.com
Much like the rebooted Terminator which resets the premise of the original and Terminator 2, as long as there's even the faintest pulse in a film franchise, some producer will find some director and writer to take another swing at it.

Alien 3 and Alien Resurrection are junk. Sorry if those are among your all-time faves, but they truly suck ass. Sigourney Weaver will be 66 years old by the time Blomkamp finishes his installment, but she's on board with the idea of picking up where Aliens left off.

I have the same feeling toward the nightmare that was The Godfather III. :Headbang:

Well, that's a better idea, I totally agree, the third and fourth films were AWFUL. And while Sigourney Weaver has aged well, they are going to have account for a massive time gap and the survivors from Aliens will still have to be accounted for/shuffled off screen immediately (just like they did in the 3rd movie).