Old People Writing for Teens, IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stiger05

Registered
Reaction score
ellio: We call it the living room. I know people who call theirs the family room, but that feels like a fad to me. When I was a kid it was the den. Living room has stuck around though.:Shrug:

inkspatters: Are you in law school? I didn't start writing seriously until after I took the Bar exam. There was just no way I could keep up with all the reading, and pleasure reading, and working, and still write, so you've got my admiration if you can find time to write at all!

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
Feeling a little disheartened today. I was looking through the Goals & Accomplishments forum, which I usually love visiting, but today it made me feel quite despondant about the progress of my own writing career. :(

I think my low mood is partly due to some writer's block on my main WIP, so I'll try and get back into it tonight to kick this foul mood. Until then, I will drink some tea, because tea fixes everything.

How's everyone else doing?

Ellio: I'd call that the living room. Houses with more than one of them are rare, but in that case the second one gets called the family room.

Stiger05

Registered
Reaction score
Feeling a little disheartened today. I was looking through the Goals & Accomplishments forum, which I usually love visiting, but today it made me feel quite despondant about the progress of my own writing career. :(

I think my low mood is partly due to some writer's block on my main WIP, so I'll try and get back into it tonight to kick this foul mood. Until then, I will drink some tea, because tea fixes everything.

How's everyone else doing?

Ellio: I'd call that the living room. Houses with more than one of them are rare, but in that case the second one gets called the family room.

:Hug2:

Sorry you're in a funk! I've been stuck on my WIP too, so I'm with you on that! Maybe this will cheer you up. I find it impossible not to smile when I hear it. :)

wampuscat

Recovering adjective addict
Registered
Reaction score
And you're up against Bridget meets Georgia. Good luck to you, too, wampuscat! :) (Broken Jar got a mention in Michelle's blog! http://michelle4laughs.blogspot.co.uk/2013/05/unveiling-query-kombat-brackets.html)

Ack! What does that mean?! Am I overanalyzing for secret hidden messages?

If anyone has comments on my query, I'd love to have them. Good and bad. All feedback is needed! http://michelle4laughs.blogspot.com/2013/05/qk-round-1-bridget-meets-georgia-versus.html

@Kansas, good luck to you! I'll comment on your matchup later today! :)

@Southbel, I hope the class doesn't hurt your daughter. Precalc was hard for me in high school as well, but I can't imagine a class with a 50% fail rate. Is it an AP class? :Shrug:

@Kewii, They're still dragging your marriage approval out? Sigh. I hope it goes quickly. :Hug2:

Last edited:

southbel

Bless Your Heart
Registered
Reaction score
Ack! What does that mean?! Am I overanalyzing for secret hidden messages?

If anyone has comments on my query, I'd love to have them. Good and bad. All feedback is needed! http://michelle4laughs.blogspot.com/2013/05/qk-round-1-bridget-meets-georgia-versus.html

@Kansas, good luck to you! I'll comment on your matchup later today! :)

@Southbel, I hope the class doesn't hurt your daughter. Precalc was hard for me in high school as well, but I can't imagine a class with a 50% fail rate. Is it an AP class? :Shrug:

@Kewii, They're still dragging your marriage approval out? Sigh. I hope it goes quickly. :Hug2:
Thanks - no not AP, just honors.

I remember your first chapter from SYW - god I loved it then and I love it now. So hard with the two of you against each other - such different moods.

Me? I would read yours although I must admit hers is a great voice too. Just seems there's more of a compelling story on your side.

Stiger05

Registered
Reaction score
wampus! Wow! Such a great intro! I think the query is great too, but the voice and writing of the first 250 really sucked me in.

Kansas: What a cool concept! I love the imagery in your query, and whoa, that intro was intense!

Good luck to you both! You're going to knock it out of the park!

Last edited:

Kewii

Registered
Reaction score
Wampus! I love your opening. And I'm not even saying that in a 'I like you so I have to say so' kind of way ;)

Kansas: It would be pretty cool to see where that story goes. But that's a super gruesome opening :)

I'd pick both of you over your competitors.

Bing Z

illiterate primate
Registered
Reaction score
I agree. Wampus' opening is very strong and intriguing. Good luck with the duels.

Where can I find Kansas' snippet?

wampuscat

Registered
Reaction score
Last edited:

Stuck In Kansas

Registered
Reaction score
Wampus! I'm being dumb (natch) but I still can't figure out which is your entry!

Bing! I'm "Like-Minded Individuals."

wampuscat

Registered
Reaction score
Wampus! I'm being dumb (natch) but I still can't figure out which is your entry!

It's "Broken Jar."

There are some high-quality queries and first pages in that competition. I'd hate to be the judges!

(BTW, Kansas, are you doing #pitmad on twitter today? Basically you tweet a pitch for your completed MS with the genre and the hashtag #pitmad. I know there have been a few agents combing through the tweets.)

Bing Z

illiterate primate
Registered
Reaction score

Bing! I'm "Like-Minded Individuals."

Why is it that everybody in the contest has such poetic names?

Glad I didn't enter. 'Bing with a bong busted for clinging to Bling Ring' ain't gonna cut it.

Anyway, I think your explanation of LMI is a bit too thorough in the query but OMG the opening is so intense!!!!! Great job, dude. Good luck!!!!!

inkspatters

The coordinates keep changing...
Registered
Reaction score
Stiger, yep! I'm also studying arts, tho -- Australia has this weird system where they offer double degrees in undergrad, so I'm doing my degrees in Arts and Law concurrently. My arts subjects are usually a bit of a breather (esp since English with a focus in creative writing is my major :)) but this semester has been devoted to studying Joyce who I find pretty much indecipherable.

I'm surprised that you managed to find time after you finished studying! I imagine that life will only get busier and busier so I'm trying to make the most of my college days, haha.

wampus, really like your entry. Good luck! :)

Kewii

Registered
Reaction score
So we're at bomb threat number 2 for the year. Kids were all evacuated again. To be honest, it couldn't be at a worse time because tomorrow is the last day before exams.

This will cause a lot of chaos come tomorrow.

Bah.

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
So... I got a response about SC. It was rejected based on a conflict of interest...

Both sad and not sad about this.

Stiger05

Registered
Reaction score
Kewii: That's terrible! I used to get ticked when people pulled the fire alarm right before finals (usually to evacuate the library so they could rush in and get a seat).

Ink: That's really cool they let you do completely differing programs like that! My undergrad was in Animal Science Pre-Veterinary Medicine, then law school was an additional three years. I'm actually less busy now because I leave work at work--5:00 and I'm done thinking about it for the day (I do contracts so it's a lot easier to leave behind than criminal and family law were when I did those). School always came home with me.

I think I told y'all I sprained my ankle on my anniversary trip. Well, after Hubby's pestering, I finally went to the doctor today. Annndd I'm in a boot now. I big, ugly, black thing that goes almost to my knee. And I've got to go to therapy twice a week. It's ridiculous. For a sprain. I think I'm going to tell the therapy lady to just show me some things I can do at home and let me go. Ughhh. *rant for the day*

southbel

Bless Your Heart
Registered
Reaction score
Woke up with a migraine early this morning. A little better now but ugh - not sure how much writing I'll be doing today.

Other than that, I realized my new WIP has a major issue. Normally, my work is very heavy on voice and this one? Nope. Nothing, nada. I consider that a pretty big problem. I think I got too caught up in the plot points. One of these days it will all come together!

cryaegm

Snakecakes
Registered
Reaction score
Website
enigmainklings.blogspot.com
I could KILL my brother right now.

He left wet paint out without covering it and our giant cat decided she was going to walk on it and get wet paint all over the floors. I just spent wiping off her paws to the best I can before she started drooling everywhere and mopped the bathroom floor. My brother just tried wiping her paws off with a paper towel. Not going to work.

Just how I wanted to spend my evening when sick. Mop the floor and clean off kitty paws of a giant cat who decided it was great opportunity to drool everywhere. Now I have black paint on my shoulders.

ETA: AND I'm wearing white shirt miraculously without getting black paint on it.

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
Stiger, it sounds like a big CHA-CHING to me. Ugh, I so don't trust doctors anymore. Sorry for the sprain though. Get better soon.

Southbel, sorry about the migraine. I suffer from those as well and they are so, so debilitating. :(

As for me, I hurt my back over a week ago (Yippeeeee) and I'm still in a lot of pain. The meds the doc prescribed--both the muscle relaxant and the pain killers--weren't doing $hit but giving me more pain (they were shots I had to get in my buttocks area and the needle was 1.5 inches long WTF???), so I stopped taking them. Trying to rest, but it's hard with two 7 year olds. It really, really sucks. Searching for an acupuncturist.

Status
Not open for further replies.