Rejectomancy

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
Good luck KD1984!

As for me, I just got a 12-day Analog rejection. They're responding quick these days. Hope that keeps up.

Mad Rabbits

Registered
Reaction score
Seriously? Wow, what a great R. Now I want to submit to Drabblecast just so I can get one of their Rs. (But sorry for the R, though I think I would print that one out and hang it on my wall. Hilarious.)

I put Drabblecast on my ignore list after the R I got from them. It probably wasn't meant as insulting, but "we receive many submissions and cannot publish them all... " ah, really? Duh!!

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
I put Drabblecast on my ignore list after the R I got from them. It probably wasn't meant as insulting, but "we receive many submissions and cannot publish them all... " ah, really? Duh!!

Uh. If you do that with every market that responds with that kind of form, your list will be very small, very quickly. That's a standard response from dozens of markets.

And, there are some markets that have close to a 100% acceptance rate. Many beginning authors seem to think that's the norm. (When it reality, it's the exception.) Thus the explanation that "we receive many submissions and cannot publish them all".

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Just wanted to chime in and agree with Aggy. This is a pretty boilerplate form rejection. Not sure what you found offensive about it.

Mad Rabbits

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah I gather(ed) it was a standard form. My thoughts were that any person would know they don't publish everything they receive. Although yes, as Aggy pointed out some journals do do that.

WordCount

You don't have coffee? Go away.
Registered
Reaction score
That's basically a nice way of saying "we didn't like your story."

I'm pretty sure I've had dealings with five magazines that all had that form. Not to mention the agents that also use it.

J.W. Alden

The King Who Bore the Sword
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com
Got a couple of zero-day rejections this week from reprint markets on a story from my blog a while back. I never know whether to feel better or worse about R's that come so quickly. Part of me thinks they must have hated it to respond that fast. But I know there other factors.

And it saves me time, I guess. The one from Drabblecast was a personal, so that's nice.

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
Arg. Form R's from ASIM and Biblio Fantastica antho--I guess my story was fantastical enough. Personal R from C&C.

J.W. Alden

The King Who Bore the Sword
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com
Got an R today from Daily Science Fiction with a "P.S. Almost" at the bottom that took the sting off a bit.

Still waiting on a few more, including a second rounder at Penumbra that I've probably got a long wait on. Gah, the waiting!

Sai

Book lover/Spy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kuri-ousity.com
Yikes Defcon, that's quite the run of bad luck! You haven't walked under a ladder or anything lately, have you?

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
Got a 20-day form rejection from Jim Musgrave's Horror on the Installment Plan. I think I was the first submission, but without Duotrope allowing tracking, I have no idea if I'm the first rejection as well.

Sai

Book lover/Spy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kuri-ousity.com
Got a 20-day form rejection from Jim Musgrave's Horror on the Installment Plan. I think I was the first submission, but without Duotrope allowing tracking, I have no idea if I'm the first rejection as well.

I'm still at 18 days and waiting to hear back. If you're not the first I'd still think you are probably one of the first.

WordCount

Registered
Reaction score
5 pending responses.

I'm almost starting to wonder if they've lost them or if I've neglected to send them. *checks sent folder on gmail

Yup, nothing but pure crickets here. Maybe that's a good thing, maybe not.

WordCount

Registered
Reaction score
BTW, does "received" mean they've not looked at it? (I know it does on submishmash, but this is Ellery Queen's own submission manager.)

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
29 day R from GigaNotoSaurus, very nice personal note. One very geriatric cricket left.

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

I got a form R from them today as well, but my submission was only 6 days old.

It sucks that they aren't on Duotrope, but they seem to be buying some stories (some of the issues are filled) and sending out prompt rejections, so I will submit there again if I have anything appropriate for them.

holy_shiitake

KB1VWJ
Registered
Reaction score
Two form R's, one from Subtle Fiction and one from Haunted Waters Press. Oh well. HWP was a long shot anyway. Keepin' on keepin' on!