Rejectomancy

Project Deadlight

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your Rs from Penumbra. Got mine today, it was 109. Not sure if form or not. Was nice but not as nice as an acceptance.

Second "nearly" this week.

I would feel slightly better if I knew if that Boston Rview R was a personal. Any thoughts?

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
Sorry about the Penumbra R's, guys. :e2grouphu It's a tough a market, I think, since they only pub 4-5 stories in each issue.

The thing with Apex is, there will be like 10 fast Rs, and then a 25 day one...it's almost cyclical.

sorry about the r.
Thanks Meret. :)

You're right, they do have a few stray responses, I'm guessing there are still some kinks to work out in the new system.

Never subbed to the Boston Rview, Project Deadlight, so I wouldn't know.

MysteryRiter

Murder isn't so bad...
Registered
Reaction score
In an attempt not to sound entirely clueless, what is the non-abbreviated title for ASIM?

Lillie

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I always get them confused with IGMS

*sigh*

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Commiserations for everyone else who got Rs from Penumbra yesterday. If you got the following e-mail, then it was a form R:

"Thank you for your submission to the Animals issue of Penumbra eMag. Although your story made it to the final round of evaluation, ultimately I'm afraid we're going to have to reject it. I did, however, enjoy your work and would love to see more of your stories at Penumbra in the future."

I already managed to get my R for the day (Goldfish Grimm round 2 bounce), so I've completed my Rejection Week without missing a single day! Something like 10 Rs total this week and all but two were forms.

I've kicked those stories back out the door. No need to let them procrastinate on the hard drive.

Adam Israel

Formerly known as StoneTable
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adamisrael.com
I already managed to get my R for the day (Goldfish Grimm round 2 bounce), so I've completed my Rejection Week without missing a single day! Something like 10 Rs total this week and all but two were forms.

Sorry about that one. I'm on pins and needles waiting to hear back on mine.

You're on fire with the rejections this week, though. I had another story shortlisted this week, but other than that it's been silence.

Lillie

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I got mine from Goldfish Grimm as well. :(

Fingers crossed for you, Adam.

mhaynes

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaelhaynes.info
Three Rs so far today. Personals from The Colored Lens & Kaleidotrope (theirs are virtually all personals). A form R after 27 days from Shimmer. I had hoped the wait meant that it had been bumped up, but I suspect that wasn't the case.

Last edited:

fihr

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry to everyone who got their Penumbra R's. I just looked at their stats, and for the last two days saw 22 Rs for work held to the last round, and 1 acceptance. (I'm speculating its all for the Animals issue, but could be wrong.) Obviously not everyone reports their results on Duotrope, and there might be more to come in.

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
25 days to another form R from Flash Fiction Online.

That's 8 days in a row now! Who'll reject me tomorrow?

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
We don't reject you, Alex. There has to be some consolation in that. :D

Still no updates on Borderlands 6 or Nameless Magazine, and Michael Moorcock (magazine) is as silent as the dead. (Although Nameless' book imprint just released a new anthology with a wicked cover! Pun not intended but I'll take credit for it, if credit is due. Wait... we still use "wicked" to express awesomeness, right?). Everything else is crickets, although any day I should be getting responses from DSF and Asimov.

Last edited:

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
Meh. Rejection from Goldfish Grimm's for Vessels for Destruction. Made it to the final round, but still a no in the end.

Guess it's off to C&C next.

Last edited:

Adam Israel

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adamisrael.com

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry Aggy. :(

Awww. Thanks. Just frustrated. Lately the rejections (of which I have considerably fewer than Alex) are all of the "final round" type. Which is always encouraging and annoying. ("What am I missing, self?")

Aggy, who does talk to herself, but not out loud (much)

Sai

Book lover/Spy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kuri-ousity.com
It's been over a week since I received any rejections, and it will probably be another week before I hear anything. I have 11 stories out but they're almost all at markets that take a long time getting back to people. I really need to implement Operation Cricket Slayer: write a new story and get it out there.

Lillie

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
(((((Aggy))))) :(

My subs are so boring. Nothing is doing anything interesting, and unless Shimmer send me one of their superfast Rs, nothing is going to happen for ages.
I look at duo and check my email, and I don't even get that little adrenaline thing.

*Bored*

Adam Israel

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adamisrael.com
Awww. Thanks. Just frustrated. Lately the rejections (of which I have considerably fewer than Alex) are all of the "final round" type. Which is always encouraging and annoying. ("What am I missing, self?")

Aggy, who does talk to herself, but not out loud (much)

You're probably not missing anything, and I seriously mean that. If you have a story consistently getting personal rejections or short-listed, it's probably more that the story just needs to find the right editor. That's it. Perfectly good stories can languish for months and years through the slush until they find the right place to call home.