merrihiatt

Writing! Writing! Writing!
Absolute Sage
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
merrihiatt.com
In other cases, Amazon has price-matched competitor sites (such as Barnes and Noble, Smashwords, etc.) in accordance with Amazon contract terms. So, even if a book is listed as 0.99 cents on Amazon, if it's free on another site, Amazon may drop the price to match it.

The price-matching was intended to be for a lower price that a sales channel offered the book, not for the author to reduce their price. Both Amazon KDP and Smashwords' TOS state the price should be the same on all sales channels. Since Amazon KDP has a $.99 cent minimum, no books should be available for free, except in the case of the temporary promotion when your title is in Amazon KDP Select (which would actually go against Smashwords' TOS, if you want to get technical).

merrihiatt

Absolute Sage
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
merrihiatt.com
And Amazon's KDP Select terms of course. :)

I meant that Amazon KDP Select allows you to put a title up free for five days in a 90-day period. That actually goes against Smashwords' TOS which states the price should be the same through all sales channels. When the price is zero at Amazon and $2.99 at Smashwords, the contract with Smashwords has been broken.

ripple

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.nanonoodle.com
Well, the morning of day 1 of two free days.

Sent out tweets to a recommended list
Informed friends
Requested mention in ENT and Pixel of Ink and a few other places. (If either place mentions you, it helps a lot, I understand)

16 downloads so far. A start!

J. Tanner

Registered
Reaction score
Website
authorjtanner.wordpress.com
I meant that Amazon KDP Select allows you to put a title up free for five days in a 90-day period. That actually goes against Smashwords' TOS which states the price should be the same through all sales channels. When the price is zero at Amazon and $2.99 at Smashwords, the contract with Smashwords has been broken.

I think you're just missing the forest for the trees. :) KDP Select requires exclusivity, so it won't be at Smashwords in the first place unless you're breaking the Amazon terms.

merrihiatt

Absolute Sage
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
merrihiatt.com
I think you're just missing the forest for the trees. :) KDP Select requires exclusivity, so it won't be at Smashwords in the first place unless you're breaking the Amazon terms.

I did completely miss that point. Oh my! I don't even have a good excuse. Thanks for spelling it out for me. :Ssh:

oaktree

Registered
Reaction score
The kindle edition of my novel went live last night!

I'm actually a little excited that my first sale went to someone in the UK, as I'm fairly sure I don't know anyone who is living there at the moment (also, the book sold before I mentioned that it was up on my Facebook page or my blog). I think it must be someone who read the short story I gave away for a few days last month.

Anyway, does anyone know if there is a lag today in sales reporting? I've had a bunch of people tell me they bought the kindle today, but the sales aren't showing up. When I did my freebie days for the short story, sales were showing up pretty much instantly.

MysteryRiter

Murder isn't so bad...
Registered
Reaction score
Ripple, you have to notify POI and ENT over a month in advance, so don't expect a mention. I notified them three weeks in advance (I decided to do Easter weekend free days a little late) and didn't get one. Still, good luck!

Oak, congrats and good luck! There's a slight lag in sales reporting, I've noticed (I think about 4-5 hours for me at the most). The reason free downloads were constant was probably because many people were downloading your book at the same time, so you didn't even know there was a lag.

ripple

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.nanonoodle.com
Yeah, I figured that about ENT and POI.
I'm at about 600 downloads with one free day to go.
I'm learning a lot... and will try to give more advanced warning next time.

ripple

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.nanonoodle.com
It was originally 2 days, so I'll leave it at that.
I did just get picked up by ENT, so I'll probably go thru 2000
pretty soon.
Again, next time I will make sure there is plenty of lead time, and hopefully get some more customer reviews.

ripple

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.nanonoodle.com
Final tally for 2 day promo was 3700 downloads.

I'll be back in a week with any results...

Number 1 I'm hoping that someone reads and enjoys the book.

After that, reviews and purchases are a bonus.

BradyBones

Picking Up the Pieces
Registered
Reaction score
Website
rbradyfrost.com
I'm not raking it in by any means, but today's Amazon sales for my short stories were very encouraging! I could use a few more days like this. :)

Nick Russell

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not raking it in by any means, but today's Amazon sales for my short stories were very encouraging! I could use a few more days like this. :)

Here's hoping you get many, many more days like today!

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com

Yes, let me reiterate, not raking it in, but managing about five to seven sales per week, which is a vast improvement over what once was. My last free trial period went up for the short yesterday and pulled a very hefty amount of downloads. There's always a lag time between freebies and sales. Some readers (or most) just jam their devices full of books and stories, for later reader pleasure.

Tri

BradyBones

Picking Up the Pieces
Registered
Reaction score
Website
rbradyfrost.com
Thank you for the encouragement and well wishes! You're both a huge inspiration and I admire and congratulate you on your own successes. :)

JWNelson

JWNelson
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jwnelson.net
Good news about short story and collection...

Last week ended on an upbeat note when I learned that http://www.triggerstreet.com had chosen a short story of mine entitled "Flight 18" for its Short Story Spotlight in April. On top of that was an excellent review on Amazon.co.UK of "L.A. Limo Tales," the short story collection that includes "Flight 18." Naturally, it is also available at Amazon.com
:snoopy:

Calle Jay

Romance Novelist & Freelance Editor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.callejbrookes.com
Well, I did it. It's published.

I finally did it. I published the romantic suspense I have been working on (off and on) since 2009. It's 93K in length, and is my longest published piece.

It's also the first of my romantic suspense series.

My other four pieces include 2 novels and 2 novellas that are all for a paranormal series. I published the first in Oct. 2011 and have had 17,000 paid sales of the paranormals (more than 10,000 were also downloaded as freebies, in addition to the 17,000 sold). I've made enough that I have been able to cut down my freelancing (graphic design and nonfiction writing) to almost nothing, and dedicate my time to full-time writing, and part-time content editing (for Astraea Press). Which is way better than I expected when I first published back in Oct! (I was wanting to make enough extra money to upgrade my internet service!)

But the romantic suspense series (12 books planned) is where my heart truly is. I have worked so hard on this series, and I am so nervous! I was nowhere near this nervous when I pubbed the paranormals.

Does this feeling ever go away????

Here's my latest at Amazon, if you're interested!

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007U06YBM/?tag=absowrit-20

Last edited:

Nick Russell

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations Calle! I hope it's a bestseller.

The feeling is kind of like having a baby, excited to show the whole wide world.

Calle Jay

Romance Novelist & Freelance Editor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.callejbrookes.com
Thanks Nick.
I'm banning myself from authorcentral. I'm not going to obsess, I'm not going to obsess...

Instead, I am going to work on the paranormals!