So what's for dinner?

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
leftover pumpkin soup, followed by a spinach, cheese and mushroom omelet.

benbenberi

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Birthday dinner at a local restaurant: venison osso bucco with mashed potatoes, and mini-cannoli for dessert.

Tomorrow for dinner: leftover venison osso bucco and mini-cannoli. Those portions were BIG. And tasty.

kikazaru

Benefactor Member
Registered
Reaction score
Baked ham, scalloped potatoes, steamed broccoli/carrots and salad.

If there is enough ham left over, it will be made into pea soup at some point this week.

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Planned overs. Sauteed chicken breast slices, mashed taters, country gravy. Hubby will probably also have some canned peas. He loves the things, I think canned veg (other than corn, tomatoes, and green chiles) are nasty.

MM

M.S. Wiggins

"The Moving Finger writes..."
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Leftovers. Arguably, the best part of the 4th Thursday in November! However, I (almost) wish my friends would stop giving me bottles of red—I'm a pathetic light-weight. I'm so fond of Syrahs and they know this. I swear, they snicker at the impending, inevitable result (that which is well-established) of what's to be when I reach the bottom of the 2nd glass. Happy Leftovers, everyone...and Cheers!

MaryMumsy

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We actually had "seconds" about 8 o'clock last night, long after everyone had left. Tonight it was "re-runs" after watching the Arizona Wildcats kick Sun Devil butt. We may actually have a chance to go to the Rose Bowl for the first time ever. I've been saving money for about 10 years, just in case. I may get to spend it.

And, yes, turkey and stuffing and gravy and mashed taters on Friday is the best part of being the cook. Although I do enjoy having all my relatives here.

MM

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
Website
www.anneskal.wordpress.com
Something interesting:

We weren't sure if we could make it up to my sister's house in the mountains of northwest New Jersey on Thanksgiving due to snow. So my husband said for a back-up plan, rather than buying a turkey and all the trimmings in case we couldn't go, to buy Swanson Hungry Man frozen turkey dinners (also known as TV dinners). I had never had that one in particular, and wondered if the grocery store would even carry them.

Duh. Of course they did, and were fully stocked with that particular frozen dinner. (It comes complete with cranberry sauce, stuffing, gravy, potatoes, and vegetables.)

We made it up to my sister's house on Thanksgiving (it was like a winter wonderland), and so tonight we're having those frozen turkey dinners. Just heat and eat. :)

MaryMumsy

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Report back on the frozen dinners, Stormie. For future reference. I haven't had a full tv dinner in decades. But Marie Callendar makes a killer frozen lasagna.

MM

harmonyisarine

Registered
Reaction score
A very dear friend of mine had a baby (a bit early and a bit emergency, but everyone is doing well now) on Wednesday. I immediately hopped in my car and booked it the 10 hours to her, and have spent every day since stocking their fridge and freezer so that they can still eat while they adjust to baby.

On Thursday I brought herb-roasted turkey breast, candied sweet potatoes, green bean casserole, pomegranate cranberry sauce (made by the new dad) and apple crisp to the hospital. They got to go home on Friday and we had leftovers. Yesterday was shepherd's pie (I even found lamb!). Today I made chicken soup entirely from scratch but we ordered some really wonderful pizza in and froze the soup for later. I still have four meals to make. It's been a pretty delicious week, so far.

Tomorrow, I make the family tomato sauce and my own meatball recipe.

MaryMumsy

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
What a wonderful, generous friend you are. I'm sure Mom and Dad appreciate it greatly.

MM

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Website
MM, and for anyone interested in frozen dinners, the Swanson Hungry Man turkey dinner was actually pretty good. The stuffing was a bit mushy, but everything else in the dinner was good. The only problem was I wouldn't call it a "hungry man" dinner. I'm only 5' and 105 pounds, and it was just enough for me. My three guys here had to supplement with whatever leftovers we had in the fridge or cereal from the cabinet.

So, if you want to stock up for lazy nights, buy them on sale and buy double.

ULTRAGOTHA

Merovingian Superhero
Registered
Reaction score
Tossup between Green Turkey Enchiladas or Turkey Wonderfulness or Coronation Turkey.

MaryMumsy

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the update, Stormie.

After having the Thanksgiving meal for 4 days straight, tonight we are having stir fry, and with no turkey, with rice.

MM

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
... But Marie Callendar makes a killer frozen lasagna.

Indeed they do!

Their Three-meat, Four-cheese Lasagna is fantastic - I'll never make another one from scratch again. ;)

Oh,

And we're having the last of the Thanksgiving leftovers for dinner tonight too. :)

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I like the Stouffer's five cheese lasagna too.

Today is cold boiled shrimp, a small platter of raw fruit and vegetables, baked chicken breast, Italian green beans, corn, and storebought dinner rolls.

Last edited:

MaryMumsy

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We like the Marie Callendar lasagna better than the Stouffer's. Just bought 3 today. Also 3 chicken and broccoli alfredo. They were on sale. I like keeping them around for the days I just don't feel like cooking. The three years my Dad was with us I cooked from scratch all but a handful of days. Hubby has said he will let me get away without cooking 1 or 2 days a week.

MM

benbenberi

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Wow, Hungry Man turkey dinners. I loved those when I was about 8! Haven't had them much since. (And definitely not since they stopped making them in TV-shaped foil trays. Plastic plates of Hungry Man just seems *wrong*.) No frozen meals here, mostly, except what I've made and frozen myself or Aristocrat chicken pies they sell at farm markets that I keep on hand for emergency comfort food. And Stouffer's spinach souffle. Also emergency comfort food!

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Ben, I remember those frozen tv dinners in the aluminum trays. Esp. the hot dogs and baked beans one. I think it also had Campbell's Tomato soup in a little compartment. Or maybe that was the spaghetti dinner.

Tonight is I-have-not-a-clue dinner. I'll know after I go (ugh) food shopping.

harmonyisarine

Registered
Reaction score
Finished my whole menu for my friends! Did not expect that. Dinner (and two meals worth of frozen food) was chicken stir fry with ginger, pepper and broccoli. As I'm allergic to pepper, even the sweet green bell peppers I used, I found a nice sashimi tuna steak on sale and seared it to perfection. Ate it with fresh buttermilk bread.

Now, I'm going to go back home and scavenge or make someone else cook for a week.

RedRajah

Special Snowflake? No. Hailstone
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fanfiction.net
Broiled chicken breasts and pasta w/homemade basil-spinach pesto (used almonds instead of pine nuts).