Last Movie You Watched...

Rhoda Nightingale

Vampire Junkie
Registered
Reaction score
Taye Diggs smiled in Equilibrium?

:evil

There is *lot* of Taye Diggs in Equilibrium and a *lot* of his lovely, lovely smile, yes. The man-candy is pretty much the only reason to watch the movie. (I'm counting "gratuitous action violence" as part of the man-candy.) But it's a very good reason.

Speaking of which:

Last watched, Snow White and the Huntsman. Exactly two things about this movie work for me: Charlize Theron and her spectacularly layered, complex interpretation of the word "evil;" and Chris Hemsworth--see previous paragraph, viz "man-candy." And now, he's officially the Sexiest Man Alive (tm) for another year at least. No arguments here! And no arguments from anyone else I've encountered, at least not yet.

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
Taye Diggs smiled in Equilibrium?

:evil

ha! yes he did. I mean, it wasn't a huge, laughing smile, but it was enough to melt me a bit. but it also brings me back to my main concern re: the "emotionless society". :)

Last edited:

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
I didn't much care for The Mockingjay (the book) in comparison to the first two. However, I am going to see the movie this morning and I'm hoping the movie translation actually makes it more interesting/enjoyable the way the Breaking Dawn movies managed to do for me (another book I very much disliked).

RJenn

Registered
Reaction score
Grave Encounters. I liked the concept a lot (the crew of one of those "reality" tv paranormal shows spend the night in a haunted asylum) and there were some solid horror moments. Overall though, the acting was meh. I guess that's about what you can expect from a low budget film but once you start hoping for a character to die because the actor is overdoing it, it takes away from the enjoyment level.

Last edited:

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
Saw, Mocking Jay part I and LOVED it. Looking forward to the final film. :)

Vito

Recalled to life
Registered
Reaction score
"Begin Again", starring Keira Knightley, Mark Ruffalo, and the lead singer of Maroon 5. (Or as my nephew says it, "Moron 5"). Lots of "happy endings" sort of things going on in this movie, that's for sure. My score: Thumbs Up! :Thumbs:

TessB

The Boxing Baroness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tessbowery.com
Big Hero 6, and I loved it so, so much. I'm an absolute sucker for teen-heroes stories, and this one hit all of my found-family band-of-misfits triumph-over-self-and-evil coming-of-age hot buttons. The animation was very well done, the characters were engaging, and yeah, I cried. Twice.

Loved it. Highly recommended, especially to anyone who liked Marvel's Young Avengers and/or Runaways comics.

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
Odd Thomas. I REALLY enjoyed it. An unexpected surprise. I used to read Dean Koontz, but hadn't read this one and I thought the movie was fun and really well done and had some nice surprises. It had me laughing in parts, jumping in others, and bawling at the end. I love when movies hit me on various emotional levels. :)

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
I heard some bad things about where the film ended. Did you like the ending?

Honestly, I thought it was the PERFECT place for a break. Now the rest of the movie can focus on taking down Snow (well, after getting Peeta back to being Peeta, of course ;)).

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I went to the library and indulged my semi-annual need to watch The Reduced Shakespeare Company's The Complete Works of Shakespeare (Abridged).

I really should buy a copy. I love it to bits.

First - someone else knows the Reduced Shakespeare Company?!

Second - their Complete Works exist on some sort of visual storage?

Third - I flove them and that so much.

:)

I saw the original and a few different casts and always tell people and have taken people because it's so awesome.

I saw Birdman, which was really good, and Million Dollar Arm, which was better than it should have been.

xDream

Hopeful Fish
Registered
Reaction score
Honestly, I thought it was the PERFECT place for a break. Now the rest of the movie can focus on taking down Snow (well, after getting Peeta back to being Peeta, of course ;)).

Thank you for your response~ I'm more excited about seeing it now. :)

xDream

Hopeful Fish
Registered
Reaction score
Mean Girls 2. How absolutely pointless.

I agree. It felt nothing like Mean Girls, and it almost seemed like this movie was aimed for the Mean Girls audience's little sisters. It really shouldn't have existed..

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World. I've tried watching this movie at least three times, and I really, really need to give up. Michael Cena is an absolute drip in anything I've seen him in and the comic book effects only grated in a live-action movie. You want to include animated onomatopoeia in a movie? Why not make an animated movie to begin with?

J.S.F.

Red fish, blue fish...
Registered
Reaction score
Michael Cena died in This is the End, Ben P., so take heart.

Speaking of which, I really liked that movie. Largely improvised and dirty as all hell, it's also funny as hell...and hell does figure prominently, as you know.

"Hermione stole our shit." Lots of other quotable lines, too, but this one made me laugh.

Rewatched Man of Steel and enjoyed it just as much as the first time, even more, all to the consternation of Calla who hates shaky cam and Zoombie who just hated the movie, period. :D Me, I loved the whole thing, flaws and all.

Vito

Recalled to life
Registered
Reaction score
"A Case of You", a romantic comedy set in Williamsburg, Brooklyn. It gets a big thumbs-up from me! :Thumbs:

indwig

I stole your cheeseburger
Registered
Reaction score
When In Rome. I was expecting the Olsen twins, and instead I get Veronica Mars and that military guy from Transformers and a special appearance by Danny DeVito! But I think I liked it. It was cute.

LittlePinto

Perpetually confused
Registered
Reaction score
The Right Stuff. On VHS.

Oh, the nostalgia!

The picture quality may be better on DVD or Blu-ray but there's nothing like watching a film on a tape that is older than I am.

indwig

I stole your cheeseburger
Registered
Reaction score
John Rambo (or Rambo 4). Damn thing got me so riled up. First of all, Christian missionaries. They just rub me the wrong way. I mean it's great that they were bringing food and meds but did they have to bring their Bibles too? Second of all, white people. Never mind the poor Burmese being slaughtered left and right and being gangraped, just as long as you get the precious white people out. And even in the end, it's like a triumph of the white people over the evil Burmese, and the arrival of the rebels seems like an afterthought. Just arrrrrrrrggggggghhhhhhhh!!!!!

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Oculus (it's on Netflix). 8.5/10. Highly recommended.

The haunted mirror shtick isn't new. Neither is any part of the plot. Or any of the characters. Watch it anyway, because the acting and direction make it a very enjoyable ride.