A GAME OF THRONES (HBO) -- POSSIBLE SPOILERS

JohnnyGottaKeyboard

Who let this guy in...?
Registered
Reaction score
On the rooftoop where he climbed when the laughter
Hehe. I'm pretty sure the only way to get it would probably be considered 'piracy'. Even if people have managed to find a way to watch it, i doubt that they would post about it :p
I meant legally, of course. Don't they normally sell episodes for like $2.99?

ETA: I had to drive 70 miles to my sister's house to watch the first episode, but I can't keep that up.

Last edited:

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
I don't think amazon would have the rights to GoT so quickly, at least not where HBO is concerned. The DVDs for last season just came out a few weeks ago. I think it's a thing where you pay for your subscription, or you wait until it comes out on DVD. :)

I could be wrong, though?

It's something we consider primo in this house, so we subscribe to HBO for the duration of the show then cancel again.

DreamWeaver

Shakespearean Fool
Registered
Reaction score
...we subscribe to HBO for the duration of the show then cancel again.
Same thing here. I also record it on DVR so I can re-watch however often I'd like after cancelling (at least until the DVR goes belly up and the cable company replaces it :D.)

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
lol, we rewatch the DVR-recorded series too after we cancel. We usually try to fill it up with everything we can when we have the channel, too.

Someday, we might be able to get programming like this on an a la carte basis. But, who knows. I don't know how the big daddies of networks (like HBO) will react to such a thing.

I'd sure like to purchase series like Dexter or Weeds instead of subscribing to Showtime.

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
In season two, Dinklage has more of a role than Joffrey, Rob, or other males except maybe Jon...

I could see him nominated for male lead...

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
I'd love to see Dinklage nominated for lead actor (and win that sucker).

JohnnyGottaKeyboard

Who let this guy in...?
Registered
Reaction score
On the rooftoop where he climbed when the laughter
Why not male lead? :)
In season two, Dinklage has more of a role than Joffrey, Rob, or other males except maybe Jon...

Yes. My point was that in season one (especially the second half of season one--from the point he was captured by Kat), I think he was definitely a lead actor. His part was every bit as big as anyone but Ned's. I was actually a bit surprised they nominated him as a supporting actor, and thought it was shrewdly caluculated to increase his odds of winning (and, therefore, not particularly fair to the poor saps who actually only get a few minutes of screentime to ply their craft). But he definitely is great. I could have seen him winning lead actor.

mayqueen

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
That being said...I almost NEVER say this about any book/show deal, but I'm almost embarrassed to admit that I prefer the show to the books. Not because I like to be spoon-fed, but because it's going to be almost impossible to follow through on all those POVs as the series progresses.
I agree with this to a certain extant. Please don't egg me, anyone. :chair

thothguard51

Registered
Reaction score
This must be a book reference. Stannis was not in the tv show in season 1. It was Renly that had the good sense to skip town when Robert died.

Stannis was not in Kings landing when Ned got there, but his character is all over the place in season one, book 1.

Littlefinger jokes about Sannis's aversion to whore houses at Neds first council meeting.

Ned questions Renly on how long Stannis means to remain absent.

Ned finds out that Stannis went with the dead Kings Hand to find a boy, and to a whore house.

Ned learns of the book and that Stannis is also aware of whatever it is in the book the previous hand died for.

Stannis is all over the place, though he did not show his face until book 2.

thothguard51

Registered
Reaction score
As for Melissande, I really like the actress' portrayal of her. It would have been SO easy for her to go all evil Queen here. She made a strong choice in her introductory scenes, something that in future episodes will give her all kinds of leeway to portray smiling malevolence--which scares me a hell of a lot more than over the top dramatics.

I totally agree and because I read the books and know how she acts later, like at the Wall with Jon, I thought she played the part very well with the limited scene she had...

She is shrewd because she DOES believe in her beliefs and is not just telling Stannis what he wants to hear...

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
On the multiple POVs coming into the series. I don't think they'll use them all. They've already seemed to drop a whole slew of characters for season 2 (including the Jojens). Other characters they'll likely merge into one and others they'll drop altogether.

It'll be a matter of how to stay utterly true to the story and spirit of the story w/o going overboard on new characters.

Tolkien's work had a buttload of characters and they dropped quite a few for the film. Just because Martin gives them names and titles and status doesn't mean viewers need all of that to get the jist of the story.

thothguard51

Registered
Reaction score
I suspect the JoJens will arrive towards the end of the season as they are important to Bran...

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know, Thoth. There have been absolutely no casting announcements at all for them. Every other character? Yes. Some fans are speculating that they're going to use Osha to take over the Jojen's role(s). They guide and help Bran, so maybe they think Osha can do that instead?

I still hope we see them, maybe in season 3, but by the time.... (spoilers - highlight to read) >>>>> Theon takes over Winterfell, Bran, Hodor, Osha and the Jojens are hiding and the Jojens seem to play an important role in keeping Bran going<<<<

(big shrug)

They haven't announced any of Cat's brothers either from what I know. Can't remember if they mention her father at all.

Some characters I think can go. Many of the Iron Isle folks except for Asha and Victarion (and Theon's father). I think Victarion will play a larger role in the next book. The people Arya runs into in book 2 and 3? So many of them are so unnecessary. Of course we'll get Ja'qen, though. A man thinks that's a good idea.

They'll get into trouble when they have to start introducing the Dorns and the Tyrells. I mean, the Red Viper is imperative to season 3 unless they give that "honor" to someone else during you-know-who's defense.

thothguard51

Registered
Reaction score
Well Osha can help Bran to a point, but spoiler alert...Osha goes off with Ricken in book 5 while Bran and the JoJens continue on. IF Osha is to play this role, they will have to leave Ricken with someone he is comfortable with and someone Shaggy Dog will trust.

Balen Greyjoy was not that important except for what, 2 chapters in Theon pov? I can see them writing him out and using another device to get Theon back to Winterfell...

All in all, I think its going to be an interesting season...

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
Balon has been cast. :) I remember seeing the actor and thinking, "Yes! Perfect!"

But, he IS Theon's father, so that could be why.

Here's the actor:
robert-ridley-qc-played-by-patrick-malahide-in-law-order-uk-2.jpg

You know, you're right about Osha. Hmmm. Perhaps they'll bring the Reids in later? (Don't know why I was calling them the Jojens. I think that's the boy's name, lol.)

I've been keeping up with this thread >HERE<

If we ever get to book 4 and 5, it will be a wonder if we can keep track of them all, especially if they're utilizing .... >>>> all the Sandsnakes, all of Dany's court, Tyrion's "pals" while travelling, the new Targaryen kid and who knows who else... <<<<

thothguard51

Registered
Reaction score
We shall worry about season 4 and 5 later. For now, we have to make it through this season and season 3 with the red wedding....

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
The red wedding is going to freak the non-readers OUT. I remember being so utterly shocked. I think it traumatized me for days.

Camilla Delvalle

Dreaming of other times
Registered
Reaction score

Yes, that's what I was thinking. Tyrion is the male charater who does most cool stuff in book two, in a protagonist story arc kind of way.

thothguard51

Registered
Reaction score
Yep. Kinda pissed me off, really.

I hadn't read the book yet and when Ned was beheaded I got up from my chair, mumbling, "what the f**k just happened," while pacing back and forth.

The next day I realised how slick GRR Martin is. This is when I decided to get the damn books and read them...

I would say the red wedding is the second big shocker...

I really think the Starks must represent a family GRRM dislikes and he is taking his pleasure out on the Starks.

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
Red Wedding spoiler talk. (highlight to see). Seriously, don't highlight if you want to remain unspoiled... this is a biggun....

>>>>> Sure, the Red Wedding really honked me off, but more for Catelyn than for Robb. He totally screwed things up. He broke his word and he paid for it. Besides, Robb was never the hero of the series (same as Ned was never the hero). John Snow? A hero (though after Dance with Dragons, who knows). Dany? Definitely a contender. Tyrion? Perhaps. I'd even throw in Jaime by the end of Storm of Swords.

I was more upset about what happened to Catelyn, or un-cat as we have no idea WHAT she is at this point. She had to witness the destruction of her family, see her son murdered. Probably thinks Sansa and Arya are dead. Thinks Bran is dead. Rickon missing. Holy cow.
<<<<<<

thothguard51

Registered
Reaction score
A little over 4 hours to go to episode 2, of season 2.

Don't forget to check back and discuss...