Rejectomancy

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hmm I don't think I've had 20 rejections on any one story yet. Some have come close, but I have trouble coming up with 20 viable markets.

I agree though that unless multiple editors are giving you personal feedback and telling you the same thing, you shouldn't make changes based on any one editor/slush reader's comments, just like you shouldn't make changes based on ONE beta reader's recommendations, unless its a very minor spelling/punctuation/phrasing adjustment.

O'Dandelo

Registered
Reaction score
Gettingby - if you've had enough of rejections I suggest rejectomancy isn't for you. You must learn to love and treasure your rejections. :)

If you've sent your manuscript out 20 times and all have come back with the same comment about a particular part of your story then you should consider changing that part. Otherwise, have faith. Personally I never send a story out if I am not confident it can withstand 20 rejections without me wanting to change it.

Well said.

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
I will never love or treasure rejections. That is just crazy.

Lillie

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Really? There's a few of mine that I'm really fond of.

Especially the funny ones.

And the true ones.

The forms are a bit boring.
The only form that was interesting was the one I got 20 minutes after subbing the story!
I'd barely finished entering it onto Duo, and I had to go and update it with the response. Lol.

Just keep going.

Heinlein's rules.
Send them back out and keep writing.

mhaynes

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaelhaynes.info
I agree though that unless multiple editors are giving you personal feedback and telling you the same thing, you shouldn't make changes based on any one editor/slush reader's comments, just like you shouldn't make changes based on ONE beta reader's recommendations, unless its a very minor spelling/punctuation/phrasing adjustment.

I'd offer one other scenario -- when another reader says something about the story and it makes you smack your head and say "Of course!"

I will never love or treasure rejections. That is just crazy.

While I think his phrasing was intended to be tongue in cheek, there is something to the idea of at least coming to acceptance of rejections. And as Lillie said, there can be "good" rejections. I've certainly received rejections that made me feel like I was on the right track even if the answer from that one editor for that one story was "no."

WordCount

You don't have coffee? Go away.
Registered
Reaction score
Another rejection?! I have had enough of these. I am having trouble sending my stories right back out, because I feel like I need to fix them even if nothing is wrong. I have no problem sending a story out when I finish it, but feel a little different the second time around. Does this happen to any of you?

Sometimes when a certain editor says, "This isn't for me" they mean just that. It isn't for them. They don't mean that your style is horrible or that you're a hack or your dialog is wooden or your story is implausible. It's not for them.

Unless, of course, that certain editor is using that phrase as a way of saying "I don't like this."

Some markets really aren't made for certain stories. Maybe there is a risky theme in it that they don't particularly agree with. Only they know, sadly, unless you get a personal rejection.

WordCount

You don't have coffee? Go away.
Registered
Reaction score
Hmm I don't think I've had 20 rejections on any one story yet. Some have come close, but I have trouble coming up with 20 viable markets.

Half of my stuff only has five viable markets. After it's run its course with all five, I smack it in the "Ran its course" folder on my desktop and say, "When I'm famous, this'll be in my short story collection. I think I'll call it 'Hearts of Gold!' Yes! Yes!"
And then, I realize if that day ever does come it'll be long from now.

That's what sucks about writing Hardboiled mysteries. You're always getting compared to John D. MacDonald and Raymond Chandler, and you only have a few people who want to read your work. And, of course, only one of them pays anything.

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
WordCount: Having just spent 15 minutes this morning trying to find the next place to send my ONE suspense story, I totally sympathize. We F/SF/H folks have it way easy by comparison.

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
Wow, 0-day rejection from Mirror Shards Anthology. Admittedly, I didn't understand what they meant by "augmented reality technology."

Last edited:

Lillie

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, that's good.

21 minutes is the best I've managed so far.

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
Holy unwanted fiction! I can never feel bad about a rejection again, provided it's never rejected under 5 minutes.

And Alex, if that's AR, then that's a tech I can get behind! Literally...

Lillie

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Bloody hell.

I had to google 'google glasses' to find out what they were.

And it's one more bloody thing that wants to track your every move (and every mood) and sell you crap you don't want.

I don't like this brave new world.

mhaynes

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaelhaynes.info

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
Wow, 0-day rejection from Mirror Shards Anthology. Admittedly, I didn't understand what they meant by "augmented reality technology."
You should watch Ghost in the Shell. :D

Think of it as "add-ons"--except for the human body.

Lillie, there's always going "off the grid." ;)

Mfraser

Hoping For the Best
Registered
Reaction score
Really? There's a few of mine that I'm really fond of.

Especially the funny ones.

Funny ones? I want a funny one. Yesterday I got one that made me feel bad for the person rejecting me though. They seemed kind of broken up, and now here I am, the rejected one, actually giggling about it...

alimay

Registered
Reaction score
Half of my stuff only has five viable markets. After it's run its course with all five, I smack it in the "Ran its course" folder on my desktop and say, "When I'm famous, this'll be in my short story collection. I think I'll call it 'Hearts of Gold!' Yes! Yes!"
And then, I realize if that day ever does come it'll be long from now.

Or you could wait until there's a change of editors at the potential markets you mention. :evil Not that I'm suggesting you do that. Of course not. That would be a terrible thing to do. (What, no shifty eyes smiley?)

As for rejections, so far it's crickets for me. I currently have 10 out. I've got a 37 day sub at One Buck Horror, which I'm going to leave another couple of days, and then query, and I'm pretty sure I'm going to hear back from TAB soon as I know others have received rejections from around the same time period. Really pleased with both those stories, so it's going to be tough if/when they come back.

Ali

Lillie

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Funny ones? I want a funny one. Yesterday I got one that made me feel bad for the person rejecting me though. They seemed kind of broken up, and now here I am, the rejected one, actually giggling about it...

Try Untied Shoelaces.

They send wonderful, caustic Rs.
Really, I love them, and one day I'll sell them something. But today I just got another R.

It was a great one, though. He knew from the start that he didn't want it, but kept reading, just to see how I finished off the sort of story he's seen too often and doesn't like.

Yay!

Project Deadlight

Registered
Reaction score
Try Untied Shoelaces.

They send wonderful, caustic Rs.
Really, I love them, and one day I'll sell them something. But today I just got another R.

Lillie - for the first time ever I didn't request comments and I made round 2!! You and I have had a fair few classics from these guys but like you I've been keen to sell to them so I'm quite excited by this!

Lillie

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You unticked the comment box???

Maybe that's the key to success!

Good luck!

O'Dandelo

Registered
Reaction score
Lillie - for the first time ever I didn't request comments and I made round 2!! You and I have had a fair few classics from these guys but like you I've been keen to sell to them so I'm quite excited by this!

Good luck, Deadlight! And condolences, Lillie.

I myself can't get past their ugly website. Perhaps I should reconsider and submit something to them in the future.

Lillie

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I thought it was ugly, but then I realised it was post ironic retro.