absentminded, absent-minded, absent-mindedly

Meira

Informant X03981
Registered
Reaction score
Website
meirapentermann.com
Okay, from the title, you've probably guessed the question. I'm hearing conflicting things about this word. Does it need a hyphen or is the compound word gaining acceptance? The hyphen just looks weird to me.

Thanks!

Marlys

Resist. Love. Go outside.
Registered
Reaction score
A quick poke around shows both are in use. The OED hyphenates, but some of their examples do not. Merriam-Webster doesn't hyphenate. The New York Times apparently does.

I would say hyphenate or not as you prefer, but be prepared to swap if you get an editor who likes it the other way.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
I would say hyphenate or not as you prefer, but be prepared to swap if you get an editor who likes it the other way.

Which would take about three seconds in your word-processor.

I've generally seen it unhyphenated, I think, but it's not an issue I'd lose any sleep over.

caw

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
For almost any such word, just check your nearest dictionary. Whatever that dictionary says is right, even if another disagrees.

For that matter, trust spellcheck.

WWWalt

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
A quick poke around shows both are in use. The OED hyphenates,

In general, the OED hyphenates a lot of things that American dictionaries and current American usage close up: barrel-house, brown-nose, cash-box, finger-breadth, level-headed, take-off, trap-door, water-bed. This includes words that are formed merely by adding a prefix, which American English almost always (unless it creates ambiguity) closes up: co-author, mid-afternoon, non-intuitive.

I assume this reflects a British vs. American English difference. When writing for an American audience, I wouldn't go by what the OED hyphenates.