Writer Agent Events?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Expat-hack

Too much lost generation as a kid!
Registered
Reaction score
I'm now on the last scene of the last chapter of my book. I know that there are months of editing, beta readers, etc, ahead of me. Nonetheless, I am starting to think about how to "market" this bad boy. Of course I'll go the standard query letter route. However, I confess to being intrigued by ads for events in New York or where ever that say you'll be able to meet real agents. Are these events worth a bucket of warm spit? Part of me is tempted to go to one but, being honest with myself, it may be just because I want to show how serious I am about this project. Not sure that is a good enough reason. If you have been to any of these conferences, I'd be interested in hearing the name of the event and what you thought about it. (Am particularly interested in events in London, as that is closer to me than the USA.) Thanks in advance for your thoughtful comments!

Corinne Duyvis

My New Cat Is Too Big for Shoulders
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.corinneduyvis.com
I haven't been to any of these events, so it's hard for me to comment on it, but my advice would be to look at your finances. If you can easily afford it, they're great events to learn from and possibly network a little.

If not, though, I wouldn't worry about it. It's in no way a necessary step. Agents will judge your book on its own merits. :)

ccarver30

Nicole Castro
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
50+ views and only 1 comment (well, 2 now). I am actually interested to know if these types of conferences have been beneficial to your average Joe Writer...

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Most writer's conferences have agent reviews as part of the process, might look into any of the closer/genre specific conferences and try there. Never been to any in NY, not worth the 1,700 mile drive...

Jeff

writerjohnb

Scribbler at Large
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.johnbushore.com
I attended a conference at Christopher Newport Univ., in Newport News, VA a few years back and paid for a meeting with a renowned children's book agent. She was not interested in my book (I write weird stuff) but gave me many very valuable insights into the children's book industry. Overall, it was very beneficial to my growth as a writer.

BethS

Registered
Reaction score
50+ views and only 1 comment (well, 2 now). I am actually interested to know if these types of conferences have been beneficial to your average Joe Writer...

They can be helpful. If the agent likes your in-person query and invites you to submit, you get to bypass the slushpile.

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
I've had a pal get a number of manuscript requests based on these types of events (bypassing the pile, so to say). She even worked her way into submitting by throwing out a verbal 1-2 sentence pitch sometimes.

For me, I like the potential connections at these types of events. I wouldn't spend a whole lot of money flying to/from or such, though. I tend to keep things closer: 2-3 states away tops.

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
If you have killer face-to-face skills, it might be worth your while to meet agents in person. The impression you made, along with a strong query, could give you an advantage. Otherwise, I'd just concentrate on the strong query -- and strong MS -- delivered the usual way.

Another factor: could your money be put to better use? Laugh, but getting a really good deskchair could be a better investment -- spending all those drafting and editing hours in comfort makes for greater productivity and lower chiropractor bills.

Status
Not open for further replies.