Not open for further replies.

job

In the end, it's just you and the manuscript
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.joannabourne.com
Grapes = sex?

Only if you're Caravaggio. And then, only sometimes.

What it is -- often artists put objects in picture just because they're pretties. Sometimes, though, they're 'saying something'. One can look at the symbolic language of this period and interpret what the artist means.

You know, I never got that sexy thing from Caravaggio.

Everybody's going to see a painting a little differently. Consider this one, Here Some folks will see an offer of a glass of wine. Others will see it a representation of the wine god with his signature product. To others it will be blatantly sensual -- the boy offering himself for homosexual liaison. For still others, it's about death and decay and the transience of youth and human pleasure.
All these interpretations are legitimate.

In that painting I link to above, the fruit is old, wormy and past date. It's maybe a vanitas. Ummm ... here is a discussion of that set of fruit. You have to scroll down a bit to find it.

Now why does any of this matter in that first paragraph from the O.P.?

The O.P. is speaking to an audience sufficiently familiar with Caravaggio that they can immediately recognize which painting is reffed. (This one here apparently.) Being knowledgeable, these readers are also familiar with the symbology in Caravaggio's paintings. When the internals of the POV character go off on the 'flowers are so much prettier' riff, the writer might consider showing this is the character's innocent view of the picture -- 'unreliable narrator' -- rather than the author's view.

Then again, I'm a sucker for internal thoughts etc.

I'm very fond of them myself. My editor is always crossing out great swathes of lovely internal stuff.

Last edited:

job

In the end, it's just you and the manuscript
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.joannabourne.com
No disrespect but who in the blue hell knows THIS?!?

Of the general American public, maybe 1 in 100.
Of the folks reading the messages in this thread ... a good half, I'd guess.

RN Hill

Registered
Reaction score
Kansas -- the part with some decent driving roads.
I wonder if my opening scene will lose readers right away.

First off, the book's theme is very much against organized religion. The idea is that a Roman god is the same as a Celitc one, which is the same as a Christian one, Muslim one, etc...

When I first sat down to work on this project, I felt it was important to draw imagery of the book's theme without being blatant. The painting mentioned in the first paragraph is of great significance later in the book. In fact, the MC's understanding of it is what saves her life a few chapters later. But is the painting really worth mentioning in this opening paragraph?

I'm afraid I'll lose a bunch of potential readers right off the bat because this opening may not be something they can relate to. This is not, by any means, a very exciting "first three lines," but it's not meant to be.

I guess some other opinions would be nice. I've read it so much, I'm pretty much in conflict with myself. Here goes nothin:

Apologies if someone else has already said this:

I think one thing that bothers me is that she seems to be casting aside the symbolism of Caravaggio's work. You say she knows it -- in fact, it saves her life -- but it seems in these few sentences that she's acting like that symbolism doesn't matter. Does that make sense? Maybe it's what she thinks and how she thinks it, but to me, it doesn't actually sound as if she really does get the symbolism.

I think you can come up with a better way to introduce the painting -- if it's central to your story, why not have a **dreaded prologue or something similar** :D in which we see the painting at another point in its life that's central to the present-day plot? (Okay, for those who hate prologues, a short Chapter 1!)

Hope this makes sense . . .

Graphite

Hodor. Hodor. Hodor.
Registered
Reaction score
Oh... and regarding the "hook" comments. ... She looked over and saw her six-year-old son lying motionless on the floor in a thick, red puddle. I turned the page only to find out he was playing dead with Karo syrup and food dye. I felt cheated when he popped up and made some "gotcha' mom" comment...
That's not a hook. That's a gimmick. Pretty much a Cat Scare.

Gateway

You Are My Density
Registered
Reaction score
I wonder if my opening scene will lose readers right away.

First off, the book's theme is very much against organized religion. The idea is that a Roman god is the same as a Celitc one, which is the same as a Christian one, Muslim one, etc...

When I first sat down to work on this project, I felt it was important to draw imagery of the book's theme without being blatant. The painting mentioned in the first paragraph is of great significance later in the book. In fact, the MC's understanding of it is what saves her life a few chapters later. But is the painting really worth mentioning in this opening paragraph?

I'm afraid I'll lose a bunch of potential readers right off the bat because this opening may not be something they can relate to. This is not, by any means, a very exciting "first three lines," but it's not meant to be.

I guess some other opinions would be nice. I've read it so much, I'm pretty much in conflict with myself. Here goes nothin:

I like it but you will lose me if you don't go somewhere soon.

There's a big danger that it's going to be pages and pages of prose like that without it going anywhere.

GrunAugen

Registered
Reaction score
There's a big danger that it's going to be pages and pages of prose like that without it going anywhere.

You'd have hated the first draft. I had two pages of fluff in there before I got to this point. Here's the original first paragraph:

Ashley was one to notice details. Do not take this to mean that she cared too much about precision or perfection. In fact, most people considered her a daydreamer, a hopeless romantic whose head was too often found muddied up with silly ideas. But from Ashley’s point of view, she simply noticed things others did not: the real details that should matter to everyone but didn’t. Each observation drew forth an emotion, so that her world was one of intuition and not always reason.

Tossed that on the chopping block. That paragraph, followed by more sighing and daydreaming and thinking about stuff just made her sound like she's Shirley Temple. She's supposed to be idealistic, but also about thirty years old and seasoned.

Anyhow, by the time we get to the Caravaggio post, this has already explained why she has the thoughts she does. But again, her voice isn't quite as strong as I want it to be.

Y'know, I haven't edited this stuff in about two months. I think I'm going to give it a try tonight. So... thanks for letting me blab on here! Something about your comment got me thinking and gave me ideas.

Libbie

Worst song played on ugliest guitar
Registered
Reaction score
I like your original first paragraph better than the current one. Sure, it's a little "tell," but it makes me care about the character a lot more. I'm more interested in her with that paragraph than I am with the first one.

All of which goes to show you that everybody's opinion of your writing will differ. You won't be able to make everybody happy. You'll do best to hone your critiquing skills of other people's work, because it allows you to critique your OWN work, and then you can form reasonably objective opinions if your work without having to juggle five hundred internet strangers' ideas on how to change it.

GrunAugen

Registered
Reaction score
I like your original first paragraph better than the current one. Sure, it's a little "tell," but it makes me care about the character a lot more. I'm more interested in her with that paragraph than I am with the first one.

Thanks, Libbie!

My husband bought me a "how to write" book as a very sweet gesture when I was half way through writing my piece. I don't really believe in reading this sort of stuff, but after about two months I caved.

I made the mistake of panicking and taking all of the advice literally. I took out massive chunks of my book, deleted all fluff stuff, and whittled it down to primarily conversations. This is the last time I'll read or take advice from one of these books.

The original first paragraph I posted in this thread is essentially two pages smashed into one paragraph. I did this because the how-to book recommended immediate delivery of the hook. Reading that book has caused much anxiety.

Status
Not open for further replies.