Will self-publish poetry book: title help

Norman D Gutter

Engineer Sonneteer
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
davidatodd.com
Hi Friends. My being mostly absent from this forum for the last several years is the result of a lot of things in life crashing in on me. Not necessarily disasters, but enough less-than-optimum stuff that time to write anything, including poetry, has evaporated.

However, I've had a poetry book finished since around 2006, which I pick up every couple of years, tweak it a little, and decide what to do with it. When I found an artist willing to do an illustration for the cover, I decided to carve out enough time to self-publish it. Right now I'm a couple of weeks away from doing so. My main problem now is what to title it. I've been planning on Father Daughter Day, with my only struggle on whether to stick a hyphen in it. But I asked this question on FaceBook, and quite a few people thought Daddy Daughter Day would be better. So here are my choices.

Father-Daughter Day
Father Daughter Day
Daddy-Daughter Day
Daddy Daughter Day

Here's a description of the book: Using poems of different forms and lengths, I tell the story of a day a dad spends with his daughter. He had promised to spend the Saturday with her, forgot about it, she wakes him at dawn, he tells her to go away, then he thinks better of it and gets up to fulfill his promise. All that is told in the first poem, a sonnet. Then, using only poems, I relate how they have their day, a drive to a state park and a hike in the woods, as well as watching a minstrel tell a tale. Three children's books that she reads in the car are included. Back at home, they still spend the rest of the day together. All day he is thinking of work not getting done (office and home to-do lists), and fights with himself over what he is doing compared to what he would rather be doing. By the end of the day, however, he is more blessed than she is. One of my goals for the book is that the poems not only fit seamlessly in the story, but they also stand alone. If you take one out of the story, and know nothing of the book, it should read as a complete poem/message, not needed anything else for understanding.

I work-shopped a number of these in the critique forum. Here's links to some of them, should you want to review them.
The Beginning of a Special Day
Daybreak
Three Books
The Wiggley, Squiggley Worm
A Worm Learns
A Trio Speaks
The Spring House
Homecoming
Bury Your Infant Face

So what say you? What is your preference among these titles?

Best Regards,
NDG

Last edited:

Steppe

Registered
Reaction score
I like "Daddy Daughter Day". Why? Because it is the most generic, down-to-earth like where you and your daughter are at. Poem's about you and her, no stops needed or wanted to come between you. Not a book teaching grammar but about a very personal relationship.

It reads more like speech and in this case I think that's best.

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Norman, I'm so glad to see you again -I've missed your presence here.

'Daddy-Daughter Day' is heavy on the alliteration, which gives the title a bouncy effect. If that's what suits the purpose, that's the one.

"Daughter's Day" could be another option, or "Dad and Daughter". Not to criticise the other choices, but just offering food for thought.

Whichever you choose, when it becomes available, please let me know.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
How about "Father / Daughter / Day"?

As in, it would appear on the cover as:

_Father
Daughter
__Day

Kind of like a haiku or sneery.

Otherwise, I like simply "Father Daughter Day" best.