The Great W1S1 Hey-Do-You-Know-About-This-Market Thread

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
Did anyone see the sample issues from Horror on the Installment Plan available as PDFs on their front page? One of the biggest fears I had about this market was the quality of their releases. This was based purely on the self-pub covers Mr. Musgrave linked to during the website's original incarnation. (I can't find it now, but I didn't research it well either). In any case, my fear is realized. The first issues incorporate a lot of gray-tone and b&W photos for the covers, and dispersed among the text. I hate to say it, because I love pro-markets as a general rule, but the result is uninspired. I don't think I'll be submitting there any more.

[Nameless] Magazine posted their first four covers on their Facebook page. I recognized two of them as samples from Bosch paintings, and though they use the colorful banner from their website as the title shield, I rather like how it all fits together. The only bad news is they pushed their open period back from the end of July to sometime at the end of November 2012.

Last edited:

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
Did anyone see the sample issues from Horror on the Installment Plan available as PDFs on their front page? One of the biggest fears I had about this market was the quality of their releases. This was based purely on the self-pub covers Mr. Musgrave linked to during the website's original incarnation. (I can't find it now, but I didn't research it well either). In any case, my fear is realized. The first issues incorporate a lot of gray-tone and b&W photos for the covers, and dispersed among the text. I hate to say it, because I love pro-markets as a general rule, but the result is uninspired. I don't think I'll be submitting there any more.
Heh, you just noticed that? Try reading the stories now. :tongue (I've only read the first one from children and zombies, and quite frankly, found it uninspiring and slightly irritating.)

However, so long as the pay is good, I don't mind. If this were a cheaper zine, I'd likely pass.

[Nameless] Magazine posted their first four covers on their Facebook page. I recognized two of them as samples from Bosch paintings, and though they use the colorful banner from their website as the title shield, I rather like how it all fits together. The only bad news is they pushed their open period back from the end of July to sometime at the end of November 2012.
Doesn't surprise me since they haven't even gotten around to the stuff submitted in April/May. I'm still waiting. : /

ETA: Also wanted to mention that Dagan Books has pushed back the deadline for Cthulhurotica 2 to the 30th of August... in case anyone was still interested in writing some creepy erotica.

Last edited:

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
Heh, you just noticed that? Try reading the stories now. :tongue (I've only read the first one from children and zombies, and quite frankly, found it uninspiring and slightly irritating.)
Since I only write pure horror infrequently, I did just notice! And, sadly, I didn't have the heart to read it because the quality of the magazine's layout and imagery left me dry. Unfortunately that's a feeling I believe many people are going to have. I wish Mr. Musgrave the best (truly I do), but until he invests in decent art and content assembly, I won't be a customer or an attempted contributor.

I mentioned this in Izz's blog's comment section, but TM Publishing has an interview with their founder and editor-in-chief, a Mr. Brett Peterson. You can watch that by following this link, if you haven't already: LINK (they recommend skipping to about 7:48 of this 20+ minute segment). I also wish Mr. Peterson the best, but I think there may a profound learning curve just ahead of him. On the bright side, I like their response times and the proposed cover of issue 1 seems to be pretty solid.

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
Hmm, TM's proposed cover looks more suitable for literary stories--it's not something I'd pick up if I wanted to read mystery/suspense or SFF.

I understand there's a learning curve, but to shunt a market--a well-paying market--just because they're a little green around the gills? Why not help them out and say "Hey, I think you could improve your zine by doing X, Y, and Z." Assuming that the editors are open to suggestion, and I don't see why they wouldn't be if it'll help them sell. I've been formulating an email (in my head) to TM since I find their requirements for submitting short stories to be a little over-the-top, and I'm also curious about what rights they're buying and for how long.

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Hmm, TM's proposed cover looks more suitable for literary stories--it's not something I'd pick up if I wanted to read mystery/suspense or SFF.

I understand there's a learning curve, but to shunt a market--a well-paying market--just because they're a little green around the gills? Why not help them out and say "Hey, I think you could improve your zine by doing X, Y, and Z." Assuming that the editors are open to suggestion, and I don't see why they wouldn't be if it'll help them sell. I've been formulating an email (in my head) to TM since I find their requirements for submitting short stories to be a little over-the-top, and I'm also curious about what rights they're buying and for how long.
Personally, i'm happy to write about market pros and cons on my blog, and if i come across a new venue here on AW and there's things i'm unsure of/put off by then i'll mention those things in the Paying Markets or Bewares, Background Checks thread.

I'm a little more reticent about emailing editors directly with suggestions (no issue emailing re clarifications as to rights purchased, etc :)) unless i know them personally or they've contacted me first (yes, this has happened; i was shocked, too!). In my own experience when setting up C&C, i got several emails about my setup that read as snarky (particularly re how i'd be paying contributors). Whether they were meant snarkily or not i couldn't say, but because i didn't know the person emailing, and there was no real context (like there would be here on AW--tone of member's other posts, etc), it was hard to get a read on their intent.

So, i guess what i'm saying in a very long-winded way, def, :tongue, is that if you do send an email to TM Publishing, i'd suggest structuring it more along the lines of wanting clarification on submission requirements, etc, rather than as offering suggestions outright. ymmv, of course :)

ETA: Also, thanks for pointing out the video to me, Marzioli! Dunno how i missed it when i was doing up the post :)

Last edited:

Nathaniel Katz

The Evil Hat
Registered
Reaction score
ETA: Also wanted to mention that Dagan Books has pushed back the deadline for Cthulhurotica 2 to the 30th of August... in case anyone was still interested in writing some creepy erotica.

I just noticed this anthology, and I am so intrigued by it. I want to write something, but I don't know if I'll have time to do so before the deadline, especially as I'd like to read the first before I do to know what they like...

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
So, i guess what i'm saying in a very long-winded way, def, :tongue, is that if you do send an email to TM Publishing, i'd suggest structuring it more along the lines of wanting clarification on submission requirements, etc, rather than as offering suggestions outright. ymmv, of course :)
Gotcha, thanks Izz. :) Looking on the site, I don't believe there's even an email for querying. Only the submission email. I assume it'll word just fine (I hope).

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
I just noticed this anthology, and I am so intrigued by it. I want to write something, but I don't know if I'll have time to do so before the deadline, especially as I'd like to read the first before I do to know what they like...
You can go to their site and download a few of the first antho's stories for free. That's what I did. I was actually surprised how not-so-erotic some of the stories were.

And maybe if you're lucky, they'll push back the deadline some more. :tongue (I'm guessing they're having trouble filling it.)

Nathaniel Katz

The Evil Hat
Registered
Reaction score
You can go to their site and download a few of the first antho's stories for free. That's what I did. I was actually surprised how not-so-erotic some of the stories were.

And maybe if you're lucky, they'll push back the deadline some more. :tongue (I'm guessing they're having trouble filling it.)

Oh. How did I not think of checking for free pieces? I have two other stories to wrap up first, but, if I'm in a weird horror mood when I finish, I'll have to give this a shot. It seems like - if done well - it could be a very fresh take on the mythos. I can't think of an author I've read that does anything like that save Kiernan's recent short fiction.

Though I never have written erotica and will likely fail miserably at it...

Debbie V

Mentoring Myself and Others
Registered
Reaction score
this particular individual:

* Shows no industry experience other than a mention of publishing something somewhere "under a pseudonym"

* Has only a vague idea of what she wants to publish, hoping to build her anthologies based on what subs come in

* Appears to have no business plan whatsoever other than to throw five stories together and upload them to Amazon

* Wants to grab full rights for TWO YEARS for a penny per word -- with a very unprofessional language that talks about assigning over copyright etc.

If you read the thread carefully, you'll see that her goals are to test out a marketing plan she is developing. The whole thing is an experiment. Since she may eventually try to market her plan as a product, I wouldn't expect her to spell it out. She is a marketing professional.

She does not expect to earn a profit for herself, but does want authors to profit.

She has also proven very willing to make changes to her guidelines based on comments by Izz and others and claims to have don some editing on a freelance basis and know professional editors she will pay for out of her own pocket.

There is no information about her personally on her website or in her posts. I'm going to suggest she add some. Googling her name turns up interesting possibilities.

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If you read the thread carefully, you'll see that her goals are to test out a marketing plan she is developing. The whole thing is an experiment. Since she may eventually try to market her plan as a product, I wouldn't expect her to spell it out. She is a marketing professional.

She does not expect to earn a profit for herself, but does want authors to profit.

She has also proven very willing to make changes to her guidelines based on comments by Izz and others and claims to have don some editing on a freelance basis and know professional editors she will pay for out of her own pocket.

There is no information about her personally on her website or in her posts. I'm going to suggest she add some. Googling her name turns up interesting possibilities.

I'm not on a crusade against her or anything. I very much hope that you're right, and that she has some sort of great marketing experience that will allow her to succeed with this thing.

However, any time the words "experiment" are bandied about in relation to publishing short stories, I'm likely to stay away. I like my words too much to have them experimented upon :)

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Your post prodded me to check on the status of my submission to HOTIP. It was at 63 days or so. I e-mailed the editor. He responded very promptly. However, it was to let me know that he was reading submissions once there was enough for the themed issue in question. i.e. there was no specific time frame for when my submission might be read and responded to.

I withdrew the story.

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
Your post prodded me to check on the status of my submission to HOTIP. It was at 63 days or so. I e-mailed the editor. He responded very promptly. However, it was to let me know that he was reading submissions once there was enough for the themed issue in question. i.e. there was no specific time frame for when my submission might be read and responded to.

I withdrew the story.
Ah, well that sucks. So how does he determine if there's enough? Enough to fill an issue or...? On the other hand, he does allow sim-subs and I've been doing that. If he wants to take forever to get around to reading, then it'll be his lost.

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Call for short story subs--only places this is being advertised is on AW and the editor's site, so that'll probably mean less slush to compete with (though of course, our slush is a much higher quality than general slush) :)
As an FYI, it looks like this project has been put on hold for now. Once some really hard questions started being asked, the OP backed away. Which is good, imo, because the more she responded the more it felt like this was a disaster waiting to happen.

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure if this is the right thread to post this kind of info (including the posts about TM and Horror on the Installment plan I made earlier), so if it's not please let me know where is more appropriate.

Just wanted to mention that, apparently, yesterday (August 13th) was the last day Pedestal will be accepting fiction submissions until as late as 2014. And after their new two poetry submission periods, they're going on an indefinite hiatus to reformulate their business plan. I hope everyone got their Mark Nipple stories in in time!

Last edited:

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
Just wanted to mention that, apparently, yesterday (August 13th) was the last day Pedestal will be accepting fiction submissions until as late as 2014. And after their new two poetry submission periods, they're going on an indefinite hiatus to reformulate their business plan. I hope everyone got their Mark Nipple stories in in time!
*snaps fingers* Darn. Missed that excellent prompt. :tongue

Considering that market was barely accepting fiction as it was, I won't be missing it. However, I'm wondering what happened to Chizine; I thought they'd reopen by now.

ETA: Also adding (if you haven't heard): Apex is closing its doors at the end of Sept. and won't be reopening till Jan. 2013. So get your stories in now!

Last edited:

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Looks like it's only open to Australian writers.
It is, too! Boo!

My reading skills have been seriously lacking recently. Sorry about that, everyone (unless you're based in Aus :)).

fihr

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Izz. It might be useful to me to keep an eye on their anthologies. It would be nice if it was open to NZ writers as well though.

sarahthegrey

Registered
Reaction score
Anyone submit to ASIM regularly? I've got a sub there that's been sitting in the first round for 26 days--not bumped up, just...sitting. Is that common? I'm concerned it might have somehow fallen through a crack in the slush, but based on their system, that seems unlikely. Any thoughts?

CL_Hilbert

Registered
Reaction score
Website
clhilbert.wordpress.com
Anyone submit to ASIM regularly? I've got a sub there that's been sitting in the first round for 26 days--not bumped up, just...sitting. Is that common? I'm concerned it might have somehow fallen through a crack in the slush, but based on their system, that seems unlikely. Any thoughts?

There is at least one slush reader who is very slow. As long as you can see your story's number on the "track your story" page, you're fine. I think it took me something like 32 days before I got bumped from round one into round two.

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
Fledgling pro market Crowded Magazine finally put up a list of their editors. There are two head editors, Ethan Fode and Baden Chant. Both have submitted their own work extensively, and the latter appears to have achieved a modicum of success (at least compared to me). Though I'm not a fan of majority vote acceptances--since, for instance, ST's flash contest demonstrates that great stories sometimes aren't popular ones--I like that they have relevant experience.