A Life of Crime and Chocolate

tarak

for certain qualities of "sane"
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Central Pennsylvania - the gateway to Harrisburg
This is possibly the best thing I have read about this whole discovery. :D

(Thanks to this show, I cannot watch "House" with a straight face.)

I know, right? I love Black Adder!

I've been completely geeked out reading about Richard III. I was an English history minor in college. Well, until I was told I had too many credits and had to drop it before they kicked me out. Had no clue I couldn't just take the classes that interested me.

Zelenka - it's not shallow. That would be awful. I'm glad the remedy is working for you.

It just occurred to me that changing the country of origin of my main bad guy (from Romania to Greece) coincided with all the troubles I've been having with my husband's Greek relatives and scheduling Thing #4's baptism. At least I didn't change his first name to Christos (the relative is the largest bane to my existence). Although, now that I realized what I've done, it's not out of question.

Zelenka

Going home!
Registered
Reaction score
It just occurred to me that changing the country of origin of my main bad guy (from Romania to Greece) coincided with all the troubles I've been having with my husband's Greek relatives and scheduling Thing #4's baptism. At least I didn't change his first name to Christos (the relative is the largest bane to my existence). Although, now that I realized what I've done, it's not out of question.

My main baddie is Finnish for similar reasons... ;)

franky_s

still procrastinating
Registered
Reaction score
Zelenka, I had to steal your Blackadder pic and post it to my facebook. It's just too good. :Thumbs:

muse

standing on head, typing one-handed...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Capture.png

Getting ready to go to France on Friday. It seemed so far away and then suddenly it's here. Quite excited.

:ROFL:

Enjoy your trip to France, Zelenka. Stay safe and have lots of fun!:evil

Shakesbear

knows a hawk from a handsaw
Registered
Reaction score
So glad he enjoyed it, French!

May Richard rest in peace.

Where is Shakes, anyway? And Doc? Stop going missing on me, people! Mama worries!

:hi: I'm here! I'm ok apart from having a lurgy. There is no one at work today - we all has the lurgy!

Great mews about RIII!!! :snoopy:

Shakesbear

Registered
Reaction score
Can I ask what a Lurgy is?

A sort of unclassified nastiness that renders the sufferer unable to work. It can cause coughs, colds, spots before the eyes, projectile body fluids (YUKKY!) (the bosses two small children have this - he got through three shirts before work!) (now that is grim). The worst manifestation of a lurgy (though not necessarily the most painful) is an overwhelming urge to use brackets (there is another name for them) ( I can't remember what it is) when writing. I forgot - itchy ankles.

tee hee I had forgot (almost) about that!

Last edited:

IAMWRITER

QWERTY!!!
Registered
Reaction score
It can cause coughs, colds, spots before the eyes, projectile body fluids (YUKKY!) (the bosses two small children have this - he got through three shirts before work!) (now that is grim).

Ewwww....I was eating when I was reading that!

Sounds nasty. Hope you feel better.

Shakesbear

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks IAMWRITER. Maybe I should have put a warning up . . .

French Maiden

Registered
Reaction score
A sort of unclassified nastiness that renders the sufferer unable to work. It can cause coughs, colds, spots before the eyes, projectile body fluids (YUKKY!) (the bosses two small children have this - he got through three shirts before work!) (now that is grim). The worst manifestation of a lurgy (though not necessarily the most painful) is an overwhelming urge to use brackets (there is another name for them) ( I can't remember what it is) when writing. I forgot - itchy ankles.

I dont know if any of you have seen the animated kids film Finding Nemo based on the ocean life of the Great Barrier Reef (Australia), the fish in hte dentist's fish tank had a tank ornament that they called Mt Wannahokaloogy.

I dont know about anywhere else but when you Hauk a Loogy down here (australia) it's where you snort nasal mucus from your nose/throat passages into your mouth and blow it with great force out of your mouth. It's really disgusting and usually left to the men, but your Lurgy reminds me of that.

GailD

Still chasing plot bunnies.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The worst manifestation of a lurgy (though not necessarily the most painful) is an overwhelming urge to use brackets...

Brackitis!

:roll:The Goon Show! My mother was a big fan and my oldest daughter is, but I think it skipped a generation. There is an online radio station that plays The Goon shows 24/7. Can you believe it?

ETA: I don't think I want to go to Australia any more.

:D

Shakesbear

Registered
Reaction score
Brackitis!

:roll:The Goon Show! My mother was a big fan and my oldest daughter is, but I think it skipped a generation. There is an online radio station that plays The Goon shows 24/7. Can you believe it?

ETA: I don't think I want to go to Australia any more.

:D

Brackitis? Shouldn't that be (Brackitis!)?

I think I will join you in not going to Aus!

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
:roll:The Goon Show! My mother was a big fan and my oldest daughter is, but I think it skipped a generation.

I'm way too young to have seen it, but so many of the phrases have just worked their way into the British lexicon.

In other news, it was my birthday yesterday so I've got the day off today (long weekends are so much better than random days off work). Written a good chunk of words already :)

Shakesbear

Registered
Reaction score
I'm way too young to have seen it, but so many of the phrases have just worked their way into the British lexicon.

In other news, it was my birthday yesterday so I've got the day off today (long weekends are so much better than random days off work). Written a good chunk of words already :)

Ahhhh but you could not have seen it! :tongue 'twas a radio show! (The Bear showing her age!) (and not caring!) The best one was the Last Goon Show Of All - which IIRC was televised!

:partyguy: Happy birthday OSG
Happy Birthday to you! :partyguy:

muse

standing on head, typing one-handed...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Happy belated Birthday, osg. And yay for word chunks (as opposed to the dreaded lurgy vomit chunks.:D)

French Maiden

Registered
Reaction score
I feel really bad, I started reading a friend's book he recently published. I told him I had started and he asked me to let him know when I'd finished it and to tell him what I thought of it.

I was enjoying it, but I was having to force myself to read it. it's written in a tense I find annoying, I didnt find the main character very connectable and ultimatelly I closed it. My kindle told me I was about 35% of the way through. He also spelt his main character's name wrong in a couple of places.

I feel really bad, because I dont want to tell him I didnt enjoy it, because that would only be half true, but if I did really enjoy it, I would have finished it. Gah, a moral dilemar.

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Ugh, French, I know how that is. I skim to the end and find one thing I can be complimentary on. It's a tough position to be in.

Shakesbear

Registered
Reaction score
French that is a hard one. I've no idea what I would do in such circumstances. Will go and think...

I've been out, shopped, had breakfast, shopped and am now ensconced in my study hoping to get some work done. Only thing is I want a coffee and an ooshie cake. Work or cake... cake or work ... decisions decisions . . .

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
I feel really bad, because I dont want to tell him I didnt enjoy it, because that would only be half true, but if I did really enjoy it, I would have finished it. Gah, a moral dilemar.

There is always the "Well, it's not really my genre" statement. I'd probably do something along the lines of what HJ said - I'd skim, and focus on a couple of things I could compliment him on, and maybe a couple of constructive suggestions.

I went back to school a few years ago, to an art college. Critiques could be really challenging, because there were some people who were far behind in both talent and craft. But I'd always try to find something - choice of color, attempt at something new, intriguing theme - and start with that. Not a fun position to be in, though.

Snowed a bit here last night. Official snowfall in the closest town has been announced at 28". It doesn't look like that much outside my window, but I haven't been outside yet.