What do you consider "The Great British Novel"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
The "Great American Novel" thread has been one of the better ones in this forum in quite a while. There, it has been pointed out that the phrase has a specialized meaning, promulgated about 150 years ago, in an effort to separate American fiction from the European tradition.

But, some fair questions were asked there about "The Great" novel from other nationalities, so I thought a stab at what would be considered "The Great British Novel" might be fun. My suggested criteria would be that the novel have clear identity with the nation of origin, be hugely original, and have unmistakable and continuing influence over subsequent work.

After some thinking, I'll nominate:

Tom Jones, by Henry Fielding

Other contenders would, of course, be:

Pride and Prejudice, Jane Austen
David Copperfield, Charles Dickens (or three or four others by Dickens)
Vanity Fair, William Makepeace Thackeray

Tristram Shandy, by Laurence Sterne, may also be suggested, but I think that falls into the same category as Moby Dick in the American milieu, a unique work, influential, but something of an outlier. Similarly, Gulliver's Travels, by Jonathan Swift.

caw

Buffysquirrel

Registered
Reaction score
My vote would be for Great Expectations over Copperfield, which goes sadly awry once David grows up. Even though Copperfield does have one of the best representations of early childhood I've ever read. My dad would contend for Bleak House, but that's another argument.

Persuasion is a better novel imo than P&P, but perhaps less influential. Austen had even better novels in her, I suspect.

Is Clockwork Orange also an outlier? Huge, influential, if vile.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'll confine my possible choices to something within the last 100 years or so (plus or minus a decade or two); earlier than that and it can get rather confusing for me. Yes, I could add something by Dickens and a number of others, but do they fit closely with what is usually meant by "the great American novel"? Maybe. I guess I would call Moby Dick one of the great American novels, but our history of literature is different from the British.

Well, since it's just for fun . . .

A Room With a View, Forster

Mrs. Dalloway or To the Lighthouse, Woolf

The Forsyte Sage, Galsworthy

A distant choice, Magus, Fowles

Coop720

Registered
Reaction score
My personal favourites would be:

Bleak House by Dickens
Great Expectations by Dickens
Robinson Crusoe by Defoe
Nineteen-Eighty-Four by Orwell

I so wish I could put Ulysses in here, but sadly Joyce was Irish :(

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
... the OP nailed some great ones. To that list I'd add:

Middlemarch, George Eliot
Jude the Obscure & Tess of the Dub's, Hardy
Oliver Twist, Dickens

AND WUTHERING HEIGHTS!!!

warofthesparks

I know what happened to Baby Jane.
Registered
Reaction score
And Then There Were None.

Uh...well, for me, at least.

LJD

Registered
Reaction score
I have to go with Pride and Prejudice.

ooh let's do a Canadian one too!

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
My suggested criteria would be that the novel have clear identity with the nation of origin, be hugely original, and have unmistakable and continuing influence over subsequent work.
Andy McNab's Bravo Two Zero gets my vote.

I've heard of these other books, of course...

-Derek

BethS

Registered
Reaction score
I'm surprised no one has mentioned The Lord of the Rings. Surely it should at least be in contention?

Sunwords

Registered
Reaction score
Well, like Alleycat, Galsworthys "Forsythe Saga" came to my mind, along with some of Dickens' books.
Orwell - rather like the novel of the century.

jaksen

Caped Codder
Registered
Reaction score
In MA, USA, across from a 17th century cemetery
Alice in Wonderland, Alice Through the Looking-Glass

Yes, I suppose they shouldn't be/share the Number One spot - but in the top ten, at least? They were so unusual, so different, so fantastic for their time - and even through to today, plus their my two fav. books of all time.

And endlessly quoted.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Brighton Rock.

Great novel, by any standard, one of Greene's finest, no doubt. You could put The Ministry of Fear and The Human Factor high on his list, as well.

But, this being my thread, harken back to the criteria set up in the OP. It isn't about "my favorite" British novel. It's about the really seminal works, those that established something new and lasting for subsequent writers.

And I never expected unanimity. I am mainly curious to see what works get thought of, and WHY.

I selected an early work as my nominee, mainly for that reason. I think Tom Jones represents a huge milestone in the literary history of Britain, meeting those criteria about as well as any other work.

This tends, I realize, to downplay the role of novels written in the past century or so, many of which are unquestionably great works. A couple have been mentioned, which merit some further comment.

Notably 1984, which was hugely influential. But it had two major predecessors, the Russian We, by Evgeny Zamyatin, and Brave New World, by Aldous Huxley.

However, just for grins, I'll suggest several somewhat later British works that merit notice for the criteria I first suggested:

Lord Jim, by Joseph Conrad
To the Lighthouse, by Virginia Woolf
Howards End, by E.M. Forster

I'm tempted to add The Time Machine, by H.G. Wells, as the genesis of modern SF writing, but that influence is more narrow and specialized to the genre, rather than broadly influencing a wider spectrum of later work.

caw

Timmy V.

Banned
Reaction score
British Novels now we're talking!!!

Anthony Trollope's "The Way We Live Now", also his entire six book Palliser series.

Henry James, although American born, he became a British citizen 1915. Portrait of a Lady is set entirely in England and Europe. Amazing novel.

William Makepeace Thackeray's Vanity Fair and Catherine and The Newcomes and The Virginians

EM Forster's Howard's End fantastic.

Elizabeth Gaskell's Wives and Daughters

Virginia Woolf's To the Lighthouse every time I read two paragraphs I want to write a poem.

crunchyblanket

the Juggernaut of Imperfection
Registered
Reaction score
But, this being my thread, harken back to the criteria set up in the OP. It isn't about "my favorite" British novel. It's about the really seminal works, those that established something new and lasting for subsequent writers.

On this basis, then, I'd nominate Bleak House.

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
What we've got here, folks, is the canon.

This.

The idea of 'the great American novel' is a myth, believed by some to demonstrate that the US has an inferiority complex about not producing great Literature like their Brit counterparts.

And just to be Subaltern about it, I will nominate:

The Heart of Mid-Lothian [Walter Scott]
The Master of Ballantrae [Robert Louis Stephenson]
Confessions of a Justified Sinner [James Hogg]

:tongue

little_e

Trust: that most precious coin.
Registered
Reaction score
Shakespeare.

Status
Not open for further replies.