Holy Macaroni! It's done. Now what?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Damian Foyle

Registered
Reaction score
It took me almost a year, but I'm finally done with my first novel. And now it is time for queries and such, I'm a bit overwhelmed by available choices.

To be honest, the possibility of getting published the traditional way strokes my ego. I guess this might be the case for other unpublished writers as well. I know it's silly, but acknowledgement from an editor or an agent would mean a lot to me, leading to a very warm "Fuck yeah!" moment followed by celebratory alcohol poisoning.

Let's say that I'll first try the traditional route, what should be the next step? (My manuscript went through several revisions already and had a few beta readers.) Looking for an agent? Or looking for publishing houses that accept unsolicited manuscripts? Is sending to both an option?

Also the Harper Voyager open call is a possibility, but having read some of the discussions on their digital only offer, I'm hesitant about it. On the other hand, with roughly 70k wordcount print might not be option for most publishers anyway.

A Long December

Registered
Reaction score
Going with an agent is more than just an ego stroke. They can get your book into publishers who will then produce and market your book. The vast majority of publishers won't accept unagented manuscripts.

I'm going for the Harper Collins call too. I looked at their submission form just a few minutes ago, and you'll need to prepare a synopsis and select either the best chapter or the first 1000 pages to include with that submission.

Also their FAQ states that although submissions are for their digital imprint, they can still make it to physical print if they sell well as a digital version.

You have nothing to lose by approaching agents and I think most people would advise you to try. Failing that you can always self-publish. Of course, you can go the self-publishing route from the off but then you need to consider how you're going to market your book.

PS: Congratulations on finishing!

dawinsor

Dorothy A. Winsor
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
If you're interested in the trade publishing route, I'd query agents first. Among other things, an agent may suggest revisions that get your manuscript in the best shape to go to publishers. If the agent route doesn't pan out, you can alway submit directly to publishers that accept unagented manuscripts and then look for an agent if you're offered a contract. The problem with querying publishers and agents at the same time is that once a publisher turns you down, an agent can't submit your work there, so you've closed off possibilities.

Damian Foyle

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks. I hadn't thought about the complications of sending to editors and agents both. Following this logic, I wonder if I should pass on Harper Voyager's call.

RLTDavis

Who moved my cheese?
Registered
Reaction score
When you say you finished your novel, do you mean you finished writing it or finished editing it? I don't know about others here, but for me the editing process it taking longer than writing the original manuscript is. Most manuscripts needs multiple editing passes to become submission quality.

Harper Voyager demands an exclusive submission- meaning that if you submit to them, you can't submit to any other publishers, or to agents until after you hear back from them (or three months, according to their guidelines).

Damian Foyle

Registered
Reaction score
It's already gone through a few revisions and editing passes. I usually don't consider it done until I'm done with polishing and making it as good as it can be. Not sure it'll be enough, but I don't think there is enough patience left in me for another run. I have to let it go at some point after all.

Laer Carroll

Aerospace engineer turned writer
Registered
Temp Ban
Reaction score
Website
LaerCarroll.com
You sound like almost every writer at the beginning of their career: desperate to get validation for their very first book.

Do you even have another book in you? Many other books? Do you have what it takes to make a career out of writing? Maybe you should write another book or two before you try to get this one out in the world.

But this might be a blockbuster which will make you rich and famous. That phenomenon is so rare that lots of copy gets written about them. But it COULD be that lightning will strike for you.

In the end you have to put your book aside for a few days and perhaps start another. Whatever it takes to get some distance, some perspective, on this one. Then if you come back to it and you still have confidence in it, begin the process of finding an agent and etc. There are plenty of books and blogs which will help you. Including this Absolute Write web site.

IDGS

@LeaveItToIan
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.iandgsandusky.com
Congrats!

In my opinion, always try to go the trade publishing route first. It's not just about validation, it's about trying to get the best possible editors, marketers, and support on your side for your novel.

Good luck!

Damian Foyle

Registered
Reaction score
You sound like almost every writer at the beginning of their career: desperate to get validation for their very first book.

Do you even have another book in you? Many other books? Do you have what it takes to make a career out of writing? Maybe you should write another book or two before you try to get this one out in the world.

But this might be a blockbuster which will make you rich and famous. That phenomenon is so rare that lots of copy gets written about them. But it COULD be that lightning will strike for you.

In the end you have to put your book aside for a few days and perhaps start another. Whatever it takes to get some distance, some perspective, on this one. Then if you come back to it and you still have confidence in it, begin the process of finding an agent and etc. There are plenty of books and blogs which will help you. Including this Absolute Write web site.

Yup. That's me. I'm waiting a call any moment now. 7-figure advance here I come! Heh. How dare I think that something I went over and over might not just be a proper trash, right? Silly me. :)

Sorry for the somewhat jaded reply, but I don't agree with the assumption that the first books are no good... I believe that was what you were getting at, right? That and perhaps the overeagerness of a new writer. ( Edit: Well, I admit most won't be good. )

Anyway, I'm not delusional about my manuscript. I don't know, maybe it's trash. Maybe it's okay. It's most likely not a masterpiece. It doesn't matter in the long run. Although I enjoy the creative process immensely, I'm not doing this as a means of mental masturbation or self-fulfilment. I would like to see that someone else enjoys what I write, and that means validation whether it's from an agent, editor or simply an online following. And the fact that I'm looking for validation means that I will need to learn to get something out of rejections. In most cases, you can learn more from a rejected manuscript than the one gathering dust.

northtosouth

Registered
Reaction score
Congrats on finishing your novel :) I finished my first draft in June, queried agents immediately (thought they'd take so long to reply I'd have time to edit the rest of the MS), had an offer after one day, then a few more, picked an agent to sign with, did one edit with her, and now we've just got a two-book deal with a kick ass publisher! So if you believe in your book, go for it! Good luck x

cartmanking68

Registered
Reaction score
It's already gone through a few revisions and editing passes. I usually don't consider it done until I'm done with polishing and making it as good as it can be. Not sure it'll be enough, but I don't think there is enough patience left in me for another run. I have to let it go at some point after all.

Hang in there. I write as a hobby and if it gets published I would buy the reader a beer. Its not about money or validaiton, but about a idea in my head that sounded like a really cool story in there. Its my baby and I love it.

job

In the end, it's just you and the manuscript
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.joannabourne.com
Congratulations on completing the manuscript.
Here is some advice on the next step:

1) Celebrate!

2) Print out the manuscript. Open the left-hand bottom drawer of your desk and put the manuscript inside. Don't take it out till Janury 2, 2013.

3) Close the file with the manuscript in it. Don't open it till January 2.

4) Don't talk about the manuscript.

5) Start writing Manuscript Two.

6) Research your market.
At a book-and-mortar, look at every book on the shelf where your book will someday rest. Who publishes which stories, at what length? Who's publishing new authors?

7) Research the genre.
At the library, read everything recent in your genre, beginning to end, whether you like it or not. Note the publisher.

8) Research agents.
Buy Writer's Market books or the Jeff Herman book and go through every agent who buys the kind of story you write.

Find out who represents authors with voices similar to your own. Who represents the debut authors in your field?
Make a list, in order of preference.

9) Subscribe to Publisher's Weekly.
This will tell you who is selling what right now.

10) Continue writing Manuscript Two.

11) Write your query letter.

12) Read general background on agent contracts, publishing contracts and how publishing works.

13) Attend local (inexpensive) writers conferences and book festivals. Volunteer.

14) Give short crits online. SYW at AW is one place.

15) Beta read.

16) Set up your website and Facebook page.
Learn how to update your website, send out newsletters, compile mailing lists and send out mass mailings.

17) On January 2, open Manuscript One.
Read it with fresh eyes. Revise. Send to your beta readers. Revise again.

18) Rewrite query letter.

19) Submit Manuscript One.

20) Return to your work on Manuscript Two.

Last edited:

Velcro

Scribbling Scribe
Registered
Reaction score
That is some great advice, JoB. I wish I had seen a post like that when I finished my second novel. I think I burned some bridges by jumping ahead and not letting the manuscript "ripen" before sending it out. I managed to get a bite and a request for a full manuscript from an agent who turned it down...politely but firmly.

Best of luck with your first novel, OP.

cartmanking68

Registered
Reaction score
I never knew writing required patience. Or acutally getting your work in front of other eyes did I guess.

dogpie

Registered
Reaction score
Congrats on finishing your novel :) I finished my first draft in June, queried agents immediately (thought they'd take so long to reply I'd have time to edit the rest of the MS), had an offer after one day, then a few more, picked an agent to sign with, did one edit with her, and now we've just got a two-book deal with a kick ass publisher! So if you believe in your book, go for it! Good luck x

Where is your genie and will he grant me the same wish?

L.Blake

Soaking up information.
Registered
Reaction score
Good on ya for finishing. Now the hard part, go put your MS away and don't touch it. Follow the suggestion from job. It's hard, but it's worth it.

L.

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
What job said. Though if you don't want to buy the agent books, you can do almost all your agent research online these days.

A Publisher's Marketplace subscription is another option. It will give you very easy access to what agents are making what deals with what publishers. If you find $20 a month too expensive, just get the sub for a couple months while you're researching.

And most of all, start writing the second book. Agents will ask you what you're working on now, often as their first question. Career authors further their careers. Besides, the best remedy for rejection is to be working on something new, rather than just chewing your nails over the only child that's left home.

Jonathan Dalar

Science fiction, horror and fantasy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jonathandalar.blogspot.com
JoB said pretty much everything I'd have to say on the subject. Spot on advice! Let it sit. Let it mature. Age. Stew. Ferment. When you get back into it later on, you'll be amazed at what you find.

And research the hell out of literary agents and the entire publishing industry as a whole. You can pour over everything you find for months and still not be as knowledgeable as you should be. Spend every bit the effort and dedication on researching this as you did on the novel itself.

If you have questions about any of the process or about the industry itself, you are probably not ready to send your baby out into the big bad world. You'll know for a certainty when you are ready.

Status
Not open for further replies.