Anyone use Siri to dictate their WIP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reesee

hope springs eternal
Registered
Reaction score
I just got an iPhone 5 and have discovered that I can dictate from Siri into Pages. I'm wondering if anyone else here has used Siri in ths manner. My only concern is the privacy issue - everything spoken into Siri gets sent to an outside Apple server where it is translated into text and then sent back to the device being used. Should I worry about my WIP being stone from a server I have no control over?

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
I just got an iPhone 5 and have discovered that I can dictate from Siri into Pages. I'm wondering if anyone else here has used Siri in ths manner. My only concern is the privacy issue - everything spoken into Siri gets sent to an outside Apple server where it is translated into text and then sent back to the device being used. Should I worry about my WIP being stone from a server I have no control over?

I've used Siri on my 4S to write long emails, and it's fine for that. I think you might find trying to dictate a novel changes the flavour of your writing; that's certainly what Charles Stross has found (Charlie has carpal tunnel and occasionally needs to take time off writing; he reports that he won't use dictation software for anything but writing dialogue, I think.)

On the privacy issue, don't worry. There are few things in the world less worth stealing than a WIP manuscript.

IDGS

@LeaveItToIan
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.iandgsandusky.com
I speak much differently than I write, so I can't see this being a useful tool for me. If it helps you, I'd go for it.

I wouldn't worry about a stolen WiP through an Apple server. Firstly, someone would have to be monitoring it and go through all the hassle of stealing it. Secondly, they'd have to understand publishing to do anything with it. Thirdly, it'd have to be worth stealing in the first place.

Good luck, let us know how it goes with Siri at your side!

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
I can't dictate fiction, no matter what I'm using to dictate. But I'd never worry about someone stealing an unpublished novel. Generally speaking, you can't even give one away, so why would anyone steal it?

tamara

What the what?
Registered
Reaction score
I can't compose verbally like that, but it would be convenient if I had that skill. Also, my 9-year-old daughter's name is Siri, so that would just be weird. :)

"Siri, write to Pages."

"Huh?"

timmyelliot

Registered
Reaction score
My iPad only records up to around 30 seconds, before stopping. So, at least for devices, I can't see Siri being useful for anything more than dictating commands or short emails.

celticroots

Registered
Reaction score
I haven't. I don't have the patience. But it sounds interesting. I didn't know people did that.

mayqueen

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I can't even get Siri to dictate my text messages correctly, but if it works for you, go for it.

Saoirse

Mi verkas
Registered
Reaction score
Website
erinkendall.wordpress.com
I've used Dragon Naturally Speaking to dictate....2 1/2 novels when I was having severe tendonitis. It's definitely different and takes some adjusting. But if it works, give it a whirl. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.