What is the category of my book?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don Raden

Banned
Reaction score
I find it hard to categorize my book. Its a combination of romance and life adventure/life success story. I don't think it's YA and I don't believe its purely romance either.

Story setting: 2008, Japan, S. Korea, Philippines, and finally in United States.
Male MC - a popular celebrity
Female MC (the main focus of the story) - from poor family and has nothing

2 MCs meet in chapter 1 and they never meet again (too many failed attempts and obstacles) until the last part of the story. They finally meet at the end when the female MC became a top-selling author and highly successful Internet Marketer. The story started with both characters having age 20 and ended at the age of 27.. I plan to make it a trilogy..

Almost 70% of the story revolves around the life of female MC and how she became successful in life (career and financial), while hopelessly pursuing the male MC..

Any suggestion please. Thank you

Last edited:

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's always hard to tell from a short description like that, but I might guess general (mainstream) fiction.

VoireyLinger

Angel Wing Fetish
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.voireylinger.com
It doesn't fit the market guidelines for mainstream romance, so you can count romance out. I agree that mainstream fiction sounds like the way to go.

Don Raden

Banned
Reaction score
I think I have to adjust the plot to make it suitable for a more specific category. Thank you

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Nothing's wrong with writing mainstream. You'd probably have to significantly alter the plot to make it into a genre, and I'm sure that if you had the threads for any genre, you would have mentioned them.

It's definitely not YA (your characters are too old), but the few publishers that do New Adult might consider it that age category.

LJD

Registered
Reaction score
Agree, general fiction. You could possibly call it women's fiction.
Why would you want to change your story to make it something else?

Status
Not open for further replies.