ok Inciting Incident?

Status
Not open for further replies.

celticroots

Registered
Reaction score
I haven't started revising/editing my WIP yet, but is this in okay inciting incident?

My inciting incident is when my MC is nearly run over by a carriage. The wealthy woman introduces herself, asks questions, and decides to let my MC come home with her and live with her family.

Prior to that, my MC had been banished from her village. And she didn't have a place to belong, which is what she wants. The woman taking her home is what changes her ordinary world.

BethS

Registered
Reaction score
I haven't started revising/editing my WIP yet, but is this in okay inciting incident?

My inciting incident is when my MC is nearly run over by a carriage. The wealthy woman introduces herself, asks questions, and decides to let my MC come home with her and live with her family.

Prior to that, my MC had been banished from her village. And she didn't have a place to belong, which is what she wants. The woman taking her home is what changes her ordinary world.

That seems reasonable. How long ago was she banished? Before the story opens?

celticroots

Registered
Reaction score
What's the problem now?

A long time friend of the family is planning to ruin the family business.(but he acts kind, friendly, personable, etc so the family has no idea of his real intentions.)

MC decides to take things into her own hands to stop him, after she tries to tell everyone, and no one believes her. And she has a prior witchcraft accusation hanging over her head. Which would ruin her chances of finding her place, feeling wanted, should someone find out.

Kerosene

Your Pixie Queen
Registered
Reaction score
It really depends how strongly the old woman affects her life, but it's fine if that's what you wish to occur.

Go for it.

celticroots

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you. Technically she's not an old woman. She's in her 50's at least. But I get what you are saying.

brianjanuary

Registered
Reaction score
As you have it, going to the woman's house is Plot Point One and the banishment is the Inciting Incident. The Inciting Incident should be a hook that sets the stage for the first plot point, which is the springboard for getting the main story goal rolling.

celticroots

Registered
Reaction score
As you have it, going to the woman's house is Plot Point One and the banishment is the Inciting Incident. The Inciting Incident should be a hook that sets the stage for the first plot point, which is the springboard for getting the main story goal rolling.

I hadnt thought about that before. Thank you for the clarification. Could the other things I spoke of still work? Your answer gave me a lot to think about.

ARoyce

Hopeful romantic/hopeless pedant
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amararoyce.com
I hadnt thought about that before. Thank you for the clarification. Could the other things I spoke of still work? Your answer gave me a lot to think about.

I agree that the banishment probably the inciting incident...especially if it's the result of people not believing her about that friend of the family. Of not, the actual inciting incident might be her attempt to convince the others of that friend's betrayal. Being taken in by the woman can still be the starting moment of the story, but the start isn't necessarily the same as the conflict that gets the protagonist going.

Keep in mind that some stories end up depicting the inciting incident in flashback, especially if the story starts in medias res (in the middle of things).

celticroots

Registered
Reaction score
She encounters the friend of the family after she is taken in by Isobel, the woman. Alexander, the friend of Isobel and her husband is a fellow merchant. My MCs banishment from her village for witchcraft happens before Isobel finds her. Sorry if I didn't make this clear.

celticroots

Registered
Reaction score
I agree that the banishment probably the inciting incident...especially if it's the result of people not believing her about that friend of the family. Of not, the actual inciting incident might be her attempt to convince the others of that friend's betrayal. Being taken in by the woman can still be the starting moment of the story, but the start isn't necessarily the same as the conflict that gets the protagonist going.

Keep in mind that some stories end up depicting the inciting incident in flashback, especially if the story starts in medias res (in the middle of things).

Thank you. Will definitely consider the stuff that was said. I just posted because I didn't want people to get confused with some parts of my story. I will consider the flashback thing to portray the inciting incident.

Anninyn

Stealing your twiglets.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fivesquids.co.uk
It's hard to tell if it's a good inciting incident or not without the context of the book and the writing. What are you concerned about with it? Could you not post it in SYW for a look over? Almost anything can work (or not) if written right (or wrong). From the brief description you've given it seems fine, but a lot depends on context, character reactions, whehter events flow logically, and it's hard to tell that from a few sentences.

dawinsor

Dorothy A. Winsor
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
What's the problem your MC will face in the story? The inciting incident should push her into dealing with that problem no matter how much she hates the idea. I assume she's going to run into the plot's main problem at the woman's home, but I don't think you're at the inciting incident yet.

The incident pushes the MC through a door and slams it behind her. Now she has to deal with a plot problem that will also force her to confront whatever inner issues she has. You may have it a few pages further on.

celticroots

Registered
Reaction score
What's the problem your MC will face in the story? The inciting incident should push her into dealing with that problem no matter how much she hates the idea. I assume she's going to run into the plot's main problem at the woman's home, but I don't think you're at the inciting incident yet.

The incident pushes the MC through a door and slams it behind her. Now she has to deal with a plot problem that will also force her to confront whatever inner issues she has. You may have it a few pages further on.

The plot's main problem will take place at the woman's home. The family "friend" and business partner is trying to betray them. (the "friend" is the antagonist.) My MC wants to stop him. ( but no one believes her, which makes things harder. Having a witchcraft accusation on her head from her home village doesn't help matters.)

Perhaps my MC being banished could be the inciting incident? But yeah I like the SYW advice. (if I do go a head with SYW what I am posting will be rough and will be changed a lot. It would be posted to get a feel for the writing and to help people get a better grasp on the story.)

I am just glad I am dealing with this early, rather than it being pointed out in the next rewrite. Taking care of it now will save me a lot of head aches later.

dawinsor

Dorothy A. Winsor
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
I thought about this a little more, and I think what you want (and may have) is some glue to keep the MC in the problem/plot situation. That is, why doesn't she just leave? Maybe she has to stay with the person because she's being hunted and the person is protecting her. Maybe the person won't let her leave for some reason. Maybe someone she cares about will be harmed if she leaves. I think you need something stronger than just a need for a place to stay. An inciting incident relates to a whole-book issue, so it's hard to say anything useful insightful about it from just a glimpse.

The book sounds like fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.