There's only one story in my head

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kittenmay

Magical flying kitty
Registered
Reaction score
For the longest time (think 4 or 5 years) I've been attempting to write a certain novel. Not doggedly or anything, but certainly with some persistence. Its become very frustrating to me, and over the past few months I've decided to create another story to write.

But - I can't think of anything else other than this plot. Now, I hate the plot, the worldbuilding, everything. Its not my best work. But somehow, this is the thing I keep returning to. I considered changing around the worldbuilding and plot enough that it would become something new, but I don't even know if its redeemable enough to do that.

Has this ever happened to any of you? What did you do?

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Go nose down and finish the story in your head. Fast. Just get it written, and without another four or five years in the process.

If you go nose down and actually finish the story in your head, another story will come along to fill the void.

It sounds like you may be worrying too much about perfectionism with this first story. Stop worrying and start writing. Get it written.

rlynnsolomon

Registered
Reaction score
Absolutely. This happened on the first manuscript I worked on, and it drove me crazy so much that I had to ultimately put it aside and try something fresh.

I agree that it's helpful to get down the words that you can -- even if you don't love them, even if they're not your best -- and then move on. Try writing something else, something that interests you. Eventually, you may be able to come back to what you were working on before. Polish it, share it with others, find a group of CPs or betas who are supportive but challenging!

Good luck!

AutumnWrite

Old enough to know better
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If you go nose down and actually finish the story in your head, another story will come along to fill the void.

Excellent advice. I've had the same thing happen, the characters will not stop until you give them an end so they can RIP. Once that end is even in sight, you should have someone else crop up in your head.

Don't worry about perfection, editing is for that, if you ever decide to go back to this old one.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
If you can't move past the novel until you write it, I agree with the others. Maybe try NaNoWriMo, because it gives you a deadline. And interacting with others on the website or at write-ins might help breathe new life into this novel.

But perhaps it's time to look for new sources of inspiration. People-watching, listening to music differently, taking interesting things you see and building a story around them, etc.

And I go through times of no inspiration, but when it hits, it's amazing. Here's hoping that you're just in one of those downtimes and inspiration is right around the corner.

Anninyn

Stealing your twiglets.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fivesquids.co.uk
If there's one story in your head, tell it. Even if you tell it poorly, get it finished, so it stops taking up residence in your head. Once you're done, maybe another will rear it's head, but you have to make space for it first.

Gateway

You Are My Density
Registered
Reaction score
For the longest time (think 4 or 5 years) I've been attempting to write a certain novel. Not doggedly or anything, but certainly with some persistence. Its become very frustrating to me, and over the past few months I've decided to create another story to write.

But - I can't think of anything else other than this plot. Now, I hate the plot, the worldbuilding, everything. Its not my best work. But somehow, this is the thing I keep returning to. I considered changing around the worldbuilding and plot enough that it would become something new, but I don't even know if its redeemable enough to do that.

Has this ever happened to any of you? What did you do?

Yes, it's happened and I think it's a good thing.

For a start, it helps me finish every story I start. Saves having a pile of unfinished stories.

And then I think it's good to get really expert at a specific story type. Makes it easier to write that really great one which will become a bestseller.

Status
Not open for further replies.